Front end suspension clunking problem solved!

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the last couple of years, when reversing out of the driveway, I'd hear a single definitive "clunk" in the front end and then when moving forward from reverse, I would hear that "clunk" again. I couldn't figure out what it was and it was stopping me from even attempting to get the car on a track. I brought it to the Dodge dealer when it first started happening and they replaced the front passenger hub but it didn't fix the problem. I brought it to a rural mechanic last week who fixes all sorts of vehicles including farm tractors and such and along with changing my oil (he is a Viper enthusiast too) , I asked him to look at it. In less than a minute, he found it.

The drivers side front upper control arm is attached to a "pivot bar". The pivot bar is attached to the frame by two bolts. These bolts were very loose on the drivers side but snug on the passenger side. Once he tightened them, I was good to go! I wonder why the Dodge dealer couldn't find it.

Just wanted to document this for others as I've searched the site a few times and came up empty. Here's a picture showing the pivot bar and the two bolts that secure it to the frame. To give you some perspective, I am standing at the back of the car looking towards the front of the car from underneath (obviously) at the drivers side suspension.

loosebolts.JPG

Hope this helps someone who may be experiencing something similar.

Santo

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score