Front Lower control arm help

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am removing the front lower control arms on my 97 GTS. When removing the lower ball joint stud from the steering knuckle, does it have to be pressed out or do i just need a bigger hammer? To be clear, I am NOT trying to remove the ball joint from the control arm. I just need to separate the lower control arm (with ball joint intact) from the steering knuckle, after removing the cotter pin and castle nut.

Any advice appreciated.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need to reuse the seal, a pickle fork is not what you want to use. Ive not separated these on a Viper....but in other cars, you'd use a puller. Looks like a horseshoe with a bolt going through.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search " ball joint tool" on Amazon and it'll show the pickle forks and the horse shoe looking tool. I've used the pickle forks before, but I can see the horse shoe tool being better for making sure the boot doesn't get cut.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pickle fork would not work for me. I went to the dealership and they let me borrow the special tool to service manual mentions. Works like a charm.

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here though. I understand that the puller is needed to remove the ball joint from the lower control arm. But I am not wanting to do that.

I am just talking about getting the threaded ball joint stud out of the steering knuckle. You are saying that I also need a puller for that, correct?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just talking about getting the threaded ball joint stud out of the steering knuckle. You are saying that I also need a puller for that, correct?

Yes, it's actually a press that fits onto the control arm and pushes the bolt out. Pickle fork will work on endlinks and tie rods but not the ball joints.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What MTGTS said. Having just had all of the control arms off and on my car in the last few weeks, what is it your're looking to do with the control arm separated?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they make a bigger pickle fork for the ball joint, but thats going to ruin the boot, so get a new boot, they do actually make a puller to remove the thread stud out of control arm so no hammers required,much smoother process,.....

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help. Got her finished up tonight. I found an old 2 arm puller in a drawer of my toolbox that fit right on and popped the ball joints right out. It was smooth sailing from there. Can't wait to get her back on the road tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4