Front plate anxiety

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New Jersey requires a front plate on the car, but I am having a seriously tough time with the idea of drilling my front facial and attaching an ugly plate to the otherwise beautiful face of my Viper. I'm afraid it will be like seeing Angelina Joli with a big wart on her nose. Problem is, I can't get the car inspected without it (it currently has a Vermont inspection sticker where they apparently don't require a front plate) and I am perpetually running the risk of a ticket for improper display of tags.

How have those in the Viper community who are also stuck living in a front plate required state handled this?

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New Jersey inspection does not require the front plate attached. You just need to keep it in the car and show the inspector you have it.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New Jersey inspection does not require the front plate attached. You just need to keep it in the car and show the inspector you have it.

Hmmm. They failed my M3 for not having a front plate but I didn't have it in the car with me. They specifically said it had to be on the car. Maybe you just had a sympathetic and unusually cool inspector?

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search this site for JonB's answer at Partsrack for the solution. It works.

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hmmm. They failed my M3 for not having a front plate but I didn't have it in the car with me. They specifically said it had to be on the car. Maybe you just had a sympathetic and unusually cool inspector?

No, I just had the plate in the car. It was at Eatontown if that helps.

Keith

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search this site for JonB's answer at Partsrack for the solution. It works.
It works awesome. A guy in our club (western Canada region) designed it - as far as I know Jon B still sells it. No holes to drill - installs in 2 seconds.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think john b has this one, you can send him the pic. hope this helps.

i never put it on and just leave it in my trunk. if i get pulled over i'll just
say i never drive the car and forgot to put it on. that should stop a ticket or

6041PICT0086TAG-med.JPG

6041PICT0087TAG-med.JPG

6041PICT0090TAG-med.JPG

6041PICT0096TAG-med.JPG

6041PICT0097TAG-med.JPG

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B's is much better design, it will not come off at speed. Clamps on the fascia with soft rubber. No way those suction cups will stay put.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call parts rack as he has a beautifull plate holder made of rubber that just snapps into place.
This is the one I was talking about - NOT the suction cup model!!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon [******] is great--best one I have had. Through 2 Vettes and 3 Vipers I have been pulled 8 times and gotten 1 ticket so I put on the plate. My C6 Vette front plate went on with 2 sided tape--from the factory!!

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wasn't going to drill my front bumper.

I built an aluminum bracket that clamps to the (black polymer) bumper support and it holds the licence plate completely clear of the bumper. There is nothing that touches any painted surface. I was not satisfied with the off the shelf supports.

I'll put some pictures up if anyone is interested.

NeilS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Jersey. Dont worry to much very few cops will pull you over. Get a PBA card if you know someone in the Police. As for inspection I bought my car in NY state and had to get it insected, I went to a guy who I know that has a reinspection station in his auto repair shop He told me the front plate is not required to pass Iam not putting any holes in my car I dont care how many times I ever get pulled over After saying that I havent been pulled over in 6 years of owning Vette and Vipers So Relax enoy your car and dont ruin the front face

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure that he sells them out of his shop any more - he used my Viper to make the first plate bracket. We sold them through our club in the past but I believe Jon B has the rights to all sales now.

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In New York, I've been pulled over for "no front plate" once in 5 years. It was a $50.00 equipment violation. Than means no points. Many potential Viper owners might not buy a Viper with holes in the front bumper if they had a choice. Not worth it for me to put on a front plate. Also, looks like crap with a front plate, but that's my opinion.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been pulled over several times for no plate and ticketed twice. The last time I told the cop that I forgot to put the plate back on as I had just taken the car cover off and the cover won't fit over the plate. I got the plate bracket out of the trunk, popped it on and he never gave me a ticket. A week later the same cop pulled me over - He wouldn't buy an excuse that time - cost me $118!!
I would much rather pay that than drill holes in the car.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have the front license plate when I was in MA. Most of the times I was stopped, the cop would check it out and give me a load of tickets. I finally relented and installed it. I eventually moved to NJ and have not got a ticket since. They always check out the front plate.

So what I'm saying is that not having a front license plate might just be the excuse the cop needs to stop you. There are numerous posts here where the cop was going the opposite way and made a u-turn because he saw no front plate.

The PartsRack one is highly recommended.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960