Front plate legislation

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to "Vector"

This was sent to me in an Email and I thought it was important to pass this along:

By SEMA

Washington, D.C., Staff
Legislation has been introduced in the Maryland House of Delegates to require the issuance of only a single license plate for motor vehicles. The bill, favored by state hobbyists, requires that the single registration plate be attached on the front of tractors and on the rear of all other vehicles. A second bill provides that for vehicles required to display two registration plates, the front plate may be stored inside the vehicle if the vehicle was manufactured without a means to secure and display a front plate. Both bills will be considered by the House Environmental Matters Committee, Tuesday, February 19, 2013.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow...I hope the powers that be in Ontario Canada are paying attention....some provinces in Canada ...(like Quebec) are already doing this!! but here in Ontario we still need front and rear plates ..which makes some of us viper owners either break the law outright or try to attach apparatuses that allow you to make your (normally hidden) plate appear when you want to...like when you see a cop!!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been tried before, and it never gets anywhere. I don't see how this time will be any different, especially with states wanting to generate revenue from traffic tickets (cameras, etc.).

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front plates are mandatory here in British Columbia Canada as well. I don't think they will ever change it...one reason they state is for visibility, since they are reflective...but daytime running lights are also mandatory here, so no plates are not going to make much difference for visibility.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's such a simple black and white issue..it boggles the mind that in (such a civilized) country like Canada there can be such opposite opinions ...some provinces have 2 plates..others have one.
What works in one province should work in another.

And if Canada with only 10 provinces (and a few territories) can't agree....forget about getting 50 states to have a meeting of the minds.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least they could make the front plates smaller and slimmer, like in some European countries.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reside in Texas. During the legislative meeting year before last, they temporarily removed the 2 plate law for the purpose of rewriting it, because it had not been revised since 1934. When closing, they forgot about it and it was accidentally and unintentionally omitted. Texas is still a two plate state, and if law enforcement wants to, they can write citation violations. However, it is a fruitless pursuit, as there is no means presently by which to prosecute. It is has been my personal observation, that law enforcement is aware of the issue, and not issuing citations.

But I suspect during the next legislative hearing, they will re-introduce the bill and pass into law legislation that requires that two plates again be displayed.

What I would really like to see occur, is a common sense rule where people who own vehicles like Vipers and other similar exotics, be exempt. I have no problem still paying the same registration fee as others, I just feel owners of these type vehicles should not be required to damage their front ends just to insure the state collects its tax revenue. I'll give it to them willingly. Just please exempt me from having to ruin my front end, is all I ask.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily here in Michigan law doesnt require 2 plates. However I do pay almost $400 per year for the damn sticker. BS.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily here in Michigan law doesnt require 2 plates. However I do pay almost $400 per year for the damn sticker. BS.
you think you have it bad, here in quebec it costs more than $1, 000 to plate a car per year. that is on a car that was worth $ 100,000 now if the car is worth $ 150,000 add another $ 500 . if you take the plates off for half a year which is what i do, it is would be close to $ 800 for 6 months.

dirtysocks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I eventually got used to the front plate.
I still see the shoved in the window thing all the time.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought the rubber type clip on for mine. It works great and does not look to bad but I would rather not have it.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you think you have it bad, here in quebec it costs more than $1, 000 to plate a car per year. that is on a car that was worth $ 100,000 now if the car is worth $ 150,000 add another $ 500 . if you take the plates off for half a year which is what i do, it is would be close to $ 800 for 6 months.

Whoa! I will keep my $400 then lol. A few buddies of mine (Vette owners) just transfer plates. They will have a plate registered on their winter ****** for say $80 or so for the year then switch to the vette in the spring then file for a new plate and retag for the fall.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reside in Texas. During the legislative meeting year before last, they temporarily removed the 2 plate law for the purpose of rewriting it, because it had not been revised since 1934. When closing, they forgot about it and it was accidentally and unintentionally omitted. Texas is still a two plate state, and if law enforcement wants to, they can write citation violations. However, it is a fruitless pursuit, as there is no means presently by which to prosecute. It is has been my personal observation, that law enforcement is aware of the issue, and not issuing citations.

But I suspect during the next legislative hearing, they will re-introduce the bill and pass into law legislation that requires that two plates again be displayed.

What I would really like to see occur, is a common sense rule where people who own vehicles like Vipers and other similar exotics, be exempt. I have no problem still paying the same registration fee as others, I just feel owners of these type vehicles should not be required to damage their front ends just to insure the state collects its tax revenue. I'll give it to them willingly. Just please exempt me from having to ruin my front end, is all I ask.

how can we make this (no front plate, or at a min an exemption) happen :dunno:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I recently read a study - possibly from TTI - that essentially said the best reason to keep the front plate law is that the collection rate of billing toll road users increased significantly when they could get two photos of the same vehicle - front and rear. Gee, that's good enough for me.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how can we make this (no front plate, or at a min an exemption) happen :dunno:

I think we would have to get a group together, and then when the legislature again is in session, present a case before them for exemption. It would have to be well thought out and written, and we would need a good orator to present it.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Ohio and never put the front plate on my Viper in over 10 years and never got hassled the police just nod their heads when we pass each orher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala