bleed fuel pressure and release quick connects
to replace fuel filter
I tryed to search for info but nothing much comes up
thanks in advance
Bill

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a ****, but before someone else says it: you should get yourself a shop manual.
It's not hard to do, but the lines in/out can be a bit of a pain. Take your time, don't force anything and you'll be ok. Some will like to use the fuel line tool, but if you're handy you won't need it.

OP
OP
F

FL96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
I reviewed my manuel before i posted and i was looking for a
little insight
Can i attempt to drain off the fuel pressure
into a cup or a small funnel with a cold engine incase of leaks
Are the quick connects removed by prying out the black plastic
fitting to release locking taper
I'm trying to avoid any mistakes
first time newbe here Bill

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill:

I just replaced my fuel filter for the first time and this is what I ran into.

First, I was in the process of replacing my exhaust system and thought this would be the best time to get at the filter with the exhaust out of the way.

The first thing you do is take off the gas cap to make sure it helps relieve the pressure. Then on the engine by the valve cover near the firewall is a schrader valve (Tire valve w/cap). Just stick a rag around this and push the nozzle in with a small screwdriver or similar tool.

The outlet side of the fuel filter was very easy to get off by pushing back on the ring and using the quick release tool and separating it from the filter. The inlet side is a different story. Mine did not release very easy. You have to be very careful and limit the twisting and pulling because there is a plastic line going into this. I purchased the releasing tool from NAPA and probably could not have got it off without it. (Why they made this plastic is beyond me!) Once I got this off, I purchased a WIX fuel filter to replace it. I found it hard and difficult pushing this in on the plastic line and ended up using the release tool to seat it in place. The outlet side went on very easy because of the steel line Vs the plastic. I wasn't quite sure if I got the thing propery seated or not so I turned the key on so the pump would kick on and checked it. Looked good no leaks. Then I had my son start the car so there would be about 60 lbs of fuel pressure. I pulled on it also while the car was running and nothing came loose and did not leak. So I must have got it seated alright. I have started it up a few times since and no leaks. My biggest fear is driving it and it separates and fuel runs all over the hot exhaust. At that point I can probably kiss her good-bye. I will also add I was lucky enough to have a lift. It would have been awful tough trying to do this on my back! Hope yours is not as tough as mine was. :p

Good Luck

A1998

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill:

I just replaced my fuel filter for the first time and this is what I ran into.

First, I was in the process of replacing my exhaust system and thought this would be the best ........... :p

Good Luck

A1998

Sounds about the same as replacing them on my old 5.0 Mustangs. Where did you get the filter from? I was at Wal Mart this weekend buying some oil and looked for a fuel filter, but didn't see anything. Did you get it online? local parts house? At 70,000 miles on my clock, I think it's time :)

pvo_pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead here...

I am in the middle of replacing the fuel filter but am having zero luck removing either the inner or the outer line from the filter.

I have searched and tried everything but no dice. I have separated the black plastic clip from the metal part, but can not seem to get it up over that lip. I have 2 different kinds of tools that I am using, but not enough room in there to get them to fit.

Any insight/thoughts to get those lines over that lip on the filter?

Thanks in advance,
Tanner

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I had mine with my tech, I suggested replacing the filter on my '01 GTS. All I can say is that they (2 of em) spent 2 hours of cussin' and crawlin' around the back of the car trying to get it loose. Mind you, this was not your run of the mill wrench monkey, but a race seasoned pro that has been working on Vipers for 18 years! Turns out that the 'quick release' clips harden with age and can be a real biotch to get loose.

If your car has some years on it (doubt that miles really matter as mine is low mileage), you might want to make sure you have some experienced help near by. My guys had to use some special tools and four hands to get it loose and not tear up anything. Those that have been changed or are a couple of years since it was replaced should be no problem, but watch out for the older, vintage models.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
penitrate lube--- soak for a while-- do it again-- change filter

pvo_pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I soaked it last night with penetrating lube, will soak it again when I get home from work and give it a whirl.

I guess my biggest thing is, I just don't understand how the fuel line "locks" on to the filter? Does it snap over the lip with an o-ring? I guess a better understanding of how the two connect may help out.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should be 'quick connect' releases. You pull the black plastic piece away from the filter with 2 fingers and then tug on the line and it should release. Leave the filter bolted into place until you get both ends free, so you can pull against the filter. Both ends work this way. Mine popped right out with no problem.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you relieve fuel line pressure before tackling the disconnect. I believe the manual suggests removing the fuel pump fuse and starting the car to drain the fuel line. Others use the schraeder valve on the intake.

pvo_pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya, I released the pressure via the shrader valve on the intake manifold. I was quite unfamiliar with the fuel lines, but now that I have them finally off the fuel filter, I understand the mechanics behind them.

The reason I couldn't get them off was because I wasn't pushing in the plastic retainer enough.

I've added a couple pictures for people doing this in the future.

You must be registered for see images attach

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Beware. I replaced the fuel filter here about two weeks ago. The car was running fine. I drove it to work today, parked it and went on about my work day. I got it in after work and tried starting it...no dice. I started smelling gas so I popped the hood and didn't notice anything. Then I checked pressure on the schrader valve...zilch. Then I walked around to the back and noticed the small pond of gasoline by the back tire. Great...fuel filter must have popped off. That's what I'm hoping anyways...I'm sitting here at work waiting for a buddy to bring a jack and some tools. Eff Tuesdays...wish me luck...

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beware. I replaced the fuel filter here about two weeks ago. The car was running fine. I drove it to work today, parked it and went on about my work day. I got it in after work and tried starting it...no dice. I started smelling gas so I popped the hood and didn't notice anything. Then I checked pressure on the schrader valve...zilch. Then I walked around to the back and noticed the small pond of gasoline by the back tire. Great...fuel filter must have popped off. That's what I'm hoping anyways...I'm sitting here at work waiting for a buddy to bring a jack and some tools. Eff Tuesdays...wish me luck...

The EXACT same situation happened to me after fitting a new filter.
The filter had been working fine for a couple of days without problem then suddenly, bang, the connection separated, petrol ******* all over the garage floor. Luckily everything was stone cold.
I refitted the connector using the smallest of silicon lubricant, making sure the snap-connector properly snapped in-place.
I've done a coulpe of track-days since then so I guess I've cured the problem. :drive:

pvo_pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everything has been spot on since I got mine changed out. I'm glad this job is in the past.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine didn't leak afterward; but, it was a royal PITA to do, and I was NOT confident in the end that it was properly seated/mated. That was 20,000 miles ago. I'm thinking that maybe it is time that I have to do it again.:crazy2:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that it is one job that I do not look forward to doing again. I don't have access to a lift so I had fussed around in various contorted positions under the car trying to get the top clip undone. I finally unfastened the fender liner except for the outer rivets and reached the top by slipping my hand under the fender liner. Even then getting the top connector to reseat was a pain. I heard and felt it click but when I fired up the car the line popped off. As previously described, I had a small lake of gasoline under the car.
I finally succeeded in getting it reconnected and it stayed this time, but my hands looked like hamburger for a week or so. Nope, I don't look forward to doing this again.

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with it. It can be a real PITA. I thought I'd be special and get it out easier than most. Nope. Was a pain for me too. Didn't use penetrating lube, maybe that would have helped.

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The EXACT same situation happened to me after fitting a new filter.
The filter had been working fine for a couple of days without problem then suddenly, bang, the connection separated, petrol ******* all over the garage floor. Luckily everything was stone cold.
I refitted the connector using the smallest of silicon lubricant, making sure the snap-connector properly snapped in-place.
I've done a coulpe of track-days since then so I guess I've cured the problem. :drive:

Hate it when something happens to the car while at work. Not only is it a pain to fix but also embarassing! :mad:

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic of the filter installed? I changed mine this weekend. As everyone already knows, the inlet side was a huge PITA. Everything is back together. However, I don't have a warm and fuzzy about the inlet and I can't remember what it looked like before I removed the old filter. Is the large joint in the inlet supposed to bottom out against the fuel filter, or is there a gap? I fought to get it bottomed out. Once I got the inlet tube inserted just a small amount, I coult not get it back out.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If nobody else can help with an image, I can look at taking you some photos during the winter months when the car'll be up on axle stands.

But if you're after photos of the inlet port on the filter when fitted, I'm gonna struggle - I could only just touch it let alone photograph it!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
WDW MKR, be VERY careful with the inflow line (from the pump to the filter)...for, if you damage that tip, it is no joke to replace the line...IF you can even get that part.

UPDATE: WDW MKR, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send a couple of pics that I just took showing the fuel lines (both in and out) disconnected, then connected..all posed lying on a towel so that one can really see them. Hell, these things are a bear to get apart even with a disconnect tool and with NO Viper attached!!

The BEST way for us non-mechanics to learn about Vipers is to have all of the parts in one's garage !!! OK...maybe not ALL of the parts...but I can always get the rest from JonB at PartsRack or Chuck Tator at Tator's Garage !!!! :)

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
So that you'll feel better, you might try using a disconnect tool to fully and evenly depress the retainer as you firmly slide the inflow end into said retainer...just a thought that seems to help me achieve a proper seating and locking of the male end of the fuel line.

If you like, bring your Viper over to Indy next week...and let Tom Sessions check it for you.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...ervice-Session-3...NOOPEN-TO-ALL-Viper-Owners