Fuel pump DIY??

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've used the search bar but I can't seem to find any diy on replacing a fuel pump. Friend of mine works at a shop and he says we have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump vs I remember someone saying you can get to it from the top??? Can anyone set this straight? I have a '98 GTS

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropping the tank on a GTS involves cutting a very large hole in the body, fortunately you shouldn't need to do that. There should be an access panel pop riveted on under the trunk carpet. Drill out the rivets to remove the panel, and you should be able to get the pump assembly out.

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dropping the tank on a GTS involves cutting a very large hole in the body, fortunately you shouldn't need to do that. There should be an access panel pop riveted on under the trunk carpet. Drill out the rivets to remove the panel, and you should be able to get the pump assembly out.

Thank you!!!

FOViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pump itself isn't designed to be easily be swapped out. The design was for the whole bucket to be changed and can be pulled up through the top as previously mentioned

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Changing the pump was actually really easy. Just got past those 4 rivets, pulled the whole thing out, and replaced the pump! I already had a 255lph Walbro in there that was just not enough. I replaced it with Lethal Performance's Stryker 360lph fuel pump which is a direct replacement of the 255lph Walbro and the car just DUMPED the fuel! Now I'm tuned and very happy! However, I do have some other questions but I'll make a new thread.