Fuel stabilizer question.....

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The past two winters I have been able to drive it at least every other week. This winter we've had too much snow and haven't gotten it out for over a month. Do I need to put some stabilizer in the tank? If so, any suggestions on the brand name to use? Don't you have to run the engine for awhile after putting it in the tank? Thanks guys!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You shouldn't need anything at all for about 2-3 years. The anti-oxidants in fuel stabilizers prevent gel, sediment, and goo from growing, but that won't happen over a winter.

The volatile portion of the winter grade fuel may evaporate, making it difficult to start and perhaps keep running (I've seen this even in a Viper that used a racing fuel in cold weather - no light ends in the fuel, so it would start, but only run with foot on gas until it had a little heat in the engine.) A fuel stabilizer will not help this.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have to put in my 2 cents.

I work on commercial lawn equipment and see gas go bad all the time. I rebuild carbs and play with gummed up fuel injection systems on these things every week during the winter months while performing our "winter service special". And these are machines that have only be idle for a few months tops.

Stabil brand stabilizer does help this situation from happening.

Unless I live on another planet and we have really crappy gas :D , you will have a problem with your gas in storage unless precautions are taken.

The best thing to do for storage is to fill the tank up and add some Stabil, then run for 10 mins to get it thru the fuel system. Then forget about it, it (the fuel) will be all taken care of.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerome is on the same planet, but we're probably looking at two different scenarios. Even the ultra conservative major brands allow 6-12 month storage with the normal precautions - sealed, dry, cool.

Modern cars are closed systems and the gummy deposits are the result of oxidation (frequent exposure to air.) I would think anything with a vent (bowl, lawn equipment fuel tanks) or filled frequently from a single container (lawn mower filled all summer from one can) might be a different story. Jerome is seeing the worst cases needing repairs, hopefully that is a very small percentage of all equipment out there.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/longterm_gasoline/
http://www.shellus.com/products/product_info/gasoline_faq.html

OP
OP

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom & Jerome..you both made good points. I think I'll leave it alone and hope for the snow to melt soon and get it back on the road where it belongs!!!! :headbang:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For what ist worth, I belive and abide by Tom's advice 101%.

When storing my Viper I ensure the tank is 100% full and topped off at home.
Condensation can occur in the airspace above a partly-full tank.

And while I do use winter StaBil in my household / trackside generator and chain saw and lawn equip...I dont use it in the cars.....except back in the days I had seldom-un-driven collectors.