Fun question ->

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before here, but what do you all think a perfect '93-'02 Viper will be worth dollar wise in 25-40 years? I really think it will be right up there in future - equivalent to current day, with the '65 Cobras and other American icons of that era.

IMO, by viewing at pictures only (I could be wrong once seen in person), the new '03's+ look very generic and has lost most of the originality and unique lines that make the first generation Vipers so special (especially the GTS). With the 'corporate' look of the '03 Viper, Dodge has FURTHER immortalized the '93-02 Vipers as an automotive icon. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
25-40 years is so far off that it's hard to speculate on $$ value. That being said, I do believe the Gen I/II Viper will go down as an all-time American classic, and I happen to agree with your view that styling-wise, the SRT just doesn't have the uniqueness or the wow-factor required to be a classic.

Of course, stating such an opinion on this board is about as popular as saying Star Trek really improved after Gene Roddenberry passed away....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old are you guys? 25 years will go by faster than you think. I agree with Artman. I think the value of Gen I and II will be impressive in the next few years. Look at the 60s Vettes, how much were they new, 5K? Now they are going for between 30K and 70K.

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you know, something that crossed my mind the other day. Do you think dodge purposely changed the design to make the 92-02's an icon never again to be copied? I mean, how long did they make cobra's, etc. They can't just make such a stunning car forever. If dodge wanted to have an imortalized car in 20 years, they had to changed the style and let the gen 1's and 2's go up and really stand out vs 03's..

OP
OP
A

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, it may be in part that the '03 shell comes down to simply costing less to manufacture and build (ie: no clamshell hood, etc).

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I feel the Viper name should not continue in its current guise, drop the nameplate altogether.

Never in my life have I heard such universal disdain for a new model, ever, period. From 10 year olds at the auto show (I camped out for an hour to get a general population concenus) to board members that are true Viper buffs, I'll go on record that 90% of people (general public included) do not like the SRT, bottom line......, motor, weight, coefficient of drag, yada, yada, you could debate that for months (kinda like the SRT section of this board), I am strictly talking wow factor, which GenI and 2 have.........

The era is over, and I am doing all I can to get one before it's too late, I'll have an answer on mine by Monday.

GT40, different story when the green light came on, I would consider waiting but so much is in the air at this point, I ride it out and see what becomes of it!!!

Take care all,
Ryan

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Gen I and II's and there will always be a buyer for them, however any purchase of a vehicle as an investment is a poor one. Enjoy the car and if you can sell it later for a little more.... good for you.

I still think the best is yet to come. In just the next couple years every major american manufacture will be producing a vehicle that will beat the gen I and II's in performance.

Ford with the GT-40
GM with the C-6 (still not sure, but good chance)
DC with the SRT/10

This is going to be a horsepower war all over again (HPW II). For the car guys, the best is yet to come! This is the early 70's all over, but better.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
Never in my life have I heard such universal disdain for a new model, ever, period. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have. When they brought out the "new & improved" Impala. If you check out the enthusiasts there you'll see that most do even acknowledge the existence of the new car. (even the new commodore)

But more to the topic I agree. The Viper line should have died a very quiet dignified death. This bastardized version coming out reminds me too much of a vette. Hey D-C if you're listening - why would I want the new Viper when I could buy a new vette and strap a charger on it and basically get the same thing? Check this out - I'm not going to buy one! (of course that would be a more compelling threat if it was likely I'd ever make enough to actually afford the new model, but hey its the thought that counts with these companies right...
laugh.gif
)

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Tiepilot on 06-16-2002 at 09:28 PM</font>