Fun read on Viper history

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool. I remember the day a saw one in person for the first time... Jaw-dropping doesn't cover it! I knew I couldn't afford one then but I'd have one eventually.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure this wasn't written by TVC (2 Viper Chuck)? Damn if the second paragraph isn't his EXACT feelings! LOL

It began one day in February 1988 with a brief discussion between Chrysler President Robert A. Lutz and Tom Gale, chief of design.
"I was walking down the hall, Bob called me in the office -- and it was just a five-minute discussion," said Gale. "I can remember it like it was yesterday. He said,'I've been thinking more and more. We really ought to kick off doing a project like a reborn Cobra.' That was our intent right from the very beginning."
Dodge Viper Image Gallery
You must be registered for see images

Chrysler LLC
Snakes alive! Viper's first official public run was as pace car for the 1991 Indianapolis 500. Carroll Shelby drove. See more Dodge Viper pictures.
What Lutz had in mind was a sports car with a modern engine management system, new-think transmission, computer-aided suspension design, and world-class tires. The Viper would take advantage of the latest in modern technology. But it would not be a gadget-laden, high-tech wonder bristling with turbochargers, anti-lock brakes, four-wheel steering, adjustable shock-absorber damping, and all-wheel drive. Instead, the Viper would take a mechanically pure approach -- loads of power fed to simple rear drive. Brute force. As in the Shelby Cobra, there would exist an unfiltered communication between driver, car, and road.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It began one day in February 1988 with a brief discussion between Chrysler President Robert A. Lutz and Tom Gale, chief of design. Viper's first official public run was as pace car for the 1991 Indianapolis 500. Carroll Shelby drove. .

What Lutz had in mind was a sports car with a modern engine management system, new-think transmission, computer-aided suspension design, and world-class tires. The Viper would take advantage of the latest in modern technology.

But it would not be a gadget-laden, high-tech wonder bristling with turbochargers, anti-lock brakes, four-wheel steering, adjustable shock-absorber damping, and all-wheel drive.

Instead, the Viper would take a mechanically pure approach -- loads of power fed to simple rear drive. Brute force. As in the Shelby Cobra, there would exist an unfiltered communication between driver, car, and road.

The reason I got involved with Viper early was actually due to the StealthTT Pace Car Program which was cancelled and replaced by VIPER ! That "Gadget-Laden" above description was targeted directly at the Stealth Twin Turbo / ( ex Mitsu3000GTVR4 ), which VIPER Replaced as the Official Pace Car for 1991 ! {Replaced Due to UAW complaints.}

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21