functional adjustable splitter install question

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm considering getting a functional splitter. I'm thinking I'd like it to be adjustable.

Does anyone have any underneath pics, or at least a verbal description of how they attach?

I'm thinking it must attach to the frame somehow. Does that mean the little air dam under the fascia needs to be cutoff?

thanks,
Dave.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should read through this thread that I started.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/609592-aerodynamic-design-question-front-fascia.html

Beyond that, I am considering leaving the chin spoiler (lip), and running the splitter basically under the entire front fascia. 3/8" aluminum is the plan for now. Will put the big hole in it for my Roe duct, as well as likely several others for weight reduction. I've been trying to look at Archer's web site at their splitter cables, but their web site has been *****.

I also plan on buying a book on auto aero design, in addition to all the other opinions from this forum.

My car is an '01 GTS.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave,
keep us updated on your designs
I've been trying to figure out a way to attatch one and still keep the small lip under the fascia
the cables seem to be the only way to keep it from flying off

I'm also working on a rear diffuser
I've mocked one up but can't decide what material to make it in

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also working on a rear diffuser
I've mocked one up but can't decide what material to make it in

I've got the rear diffuser in mind too. A small one to cover what will be the rear exhaust hole when I'm done converting to side exhaust.

Have looked at the small Autoform unit, and even got them to send me some more pics. Does not cover the hole well as it does not fit snug enough to the body. Will take some work there in the design.

I'm either going with 1/4" aluminum or hand lay some FRP. Will depend on how complex it gets trying to fit the body to cover the hole.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an Autoform "LeMans" fascia and splitter on my 01 GTS. The design to hold the front fascia works in conjunction with the splitter. I am in the process of shortening the width (distance the splitter sticks out in front of car). I think it sticks out a little too far for a mainly street car. IMHO. My car is lowered and a "shorter" splitter will help on some road hazards. i probably shouldn't say more about the design because of possible patents etc. As far as everyday driving, if you take your time and go over larger bumps on an angle, you will be fine driving on the street.

For a rear diffuser I used the rear diffuser fins off of a gen 3. You can use the entire carbon fiber piece that the fins attach to on a gen 3, but it is not needed. The fins are attached to the body with large ABS plastic and alum. pop rivets. They are common in body shops. Looks great and "like they were always there". And better yet and little known bonus, it keeps alot of the dust from settling on the back of the car. The air is channeled straight back and doesn't swirl the dirt back into the rear of the car. This is beside the obvious "aero" effect with the front splitter, rear diffuser and full legth skid plate.

I would say the aerodynamic combination of the splitters and diffusers give me an extra 50 m.p.h on top end and I get about 46-50 m.p.g....:lmao:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the rear diffuser in mind too. A small one to cover what will be the rear exhaust hole when I'm done converting to side exhaust.

Have looked at the small Autoform unit, and even got them to send me some more pics. Does not cover the hole well as it does not fit snug enough to the body. Will take some work there in the design.

I'm either going with 1/4" aluminum or hand lay some FRP. Will depend on how complex it gets trying to fit the body to cover the hole.

I really doubt a piece of aluminum is going to conform to the underside of the bumper, I couldn't even get a piece of moist cardboard to look right:smirk:

I was thinking CF since I will keep the rear exhaust and CF can protect against heat
but since the urethane holds up to the heat OK, maybe FG could do just fine

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an Autoform "LeMans" fascia and splitter on my 01 GTS. The design to hold the front fascia works in conjunction with the splitter. I am in the process of shortening the width (distance the splitter sticks out in front of car). I think it sticks out a little too far for a mainly street car. IMHO. My car is lowered and a "shorter" splitter will help on some road hazards. i probably shouldn't say more about the design because of possible patents etc. As far as everyday driving, if you take your time and go over larger bumps on an angle, you will be fine driving on the street.

For a rear diffuser I used the rear diffuser fins off of a gen 3. You can use the entire carbon fiber piece that the fins attach to on a gen 3, but it is not needed. The fins are attached to the body with large ABS plastic and alum. pop rivets. They are common in body shops. Looks great and "like they were always there". And better yet and little known bonus, it keeps alot of the dust from settling on the back of the car. The air is channeled straight back and doesn't swirl the dirt back into the rear of the car. This is beside the obvious "aero" effect with the front splitter, rear diffuser and full legth skid plate.

I would say the aerodynamic combination of the splitters and diffusers give me an extra 50 m.p.h on top end and I get about 46-50 m.p.g....:lmao:

Could you post some pics of the splitter and diffuser? I highly doubt posting pics is a copyright infringement
How much is the gen3 diffuser?

I've thought about just riviting on some pieces just to see if I like the look

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,
Not much info forthcoming. I tried Partsrack, but the only "real" splitter he had on is website is not longer available. I think I'm going to have to make one out of CF and fiberglass. I made this wing
f1dyno :: Twin Turbo Viper

last winter and sold 3 of them to Jon (it actually works), and want to balance out the downforce.

I'd be up for bouncing ideas off the couple of guys that are planning on making their own as well. Right now, I'm kicking around the idea of cutting 2 slots in the little air dam under the fascia, and making the splitter with some tabs on it to slide through and attach to the little frame horns on the front of the car, plus the cable/turnbuckles through the front, and tabs to the inside fenderwell.

I just don't have any idea what kind of load this thing will see, I def. don't want it coming off....

Any thoughts?
-Dave

-Dave.

Reaction score
The splitter will definitely see some loads at speed and needs to be well anchored. If you want a real race design you can contact Bob or Rick at Woodhouse Racing and they can help you with the design. They have made quite a few of these and tested many more for function.

The splitter needs to run back past the engine to smooth the airflow and should NOT have holes cut in it. The other thing that needs to happen is the intersection of the splitter and the fascia needs to be sealed to insure the air travels around or under rather than through.

We usually attach this to the frame with 4-6 frame nuts and then the splitter cables are attached to the front bumper support down to the splitter. there will be a bit of slack in them to let the splitter flex down a little a speed adding a down force angle.

Just some ideas.

Also the rear diffuser is just an air scoop with out a full belly pan!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The splitter will definitely see some loads at speed and needs to be well anchored. If you want a real race design you can contact Bob or Rick at Woodhouse Racing and they can help you with the design. They have made quite a few of these and tested many more for function.

The splitter needs to run back past the engine to smooth the airflow and should NOT have holes cut in it. The other thing that needs to happen is the intersection of the splitter and the fascia needs to be sealed to insure the air travels around or under rather than through.

We usually attach this to the frame with 4-6 frame nuts and then the splitter cables are attached to the front bumper support down to the splitter. there will be a bit of slack in them to let the splitter flex down a little a speed adding a down force angle.

Just some ideas.

Also the rear diffuser is just an air scoop with out a full belly pan!

Good stuff. Thanks.

As far as any holes I was considering to lighten it, they would only be where pressed against the underside of the fascia. They would create turbulence, but not an air flow path to anywhere. That is, aside from the Roe duct.

Anything resembling a design by me is still a ways in the future. Waiting for my side exhaust conversion from Belanger and Autoform to come in, which we'll call that "February."

But what opportunities to study the underside of the car while in the air for exhaust work...

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perkins_Hood_5_22_07_2_pics_001.jpg
Car_fall_color_nov_07_011.jpg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if it is a problem for me to show how the splitter is attached to the car...

Sorry, I thought I had the install and close up photos of my rear diffuser on this computer but can't seem to locate them. I will find them and post. I think I paid $150 for all four SRT diffuser fins. They were "pre-broken in" and in perfect shape.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
made my own.....

Well,
I decided to make my own splitter out of carbon fiber. Here's a pic of the mockup and the finished piece 30 seconds after I popped it out of the mold. Need to clean up the edges and clear it, but it looks decent.

I'm going to use some 1/4" aluminum and extend the frame horns in the front of the car to the inside of the fascia, and bolt it through to the extension with diagonal shims so I can adjust the angle. Front supports too, from the bumper mounts. I'll post some more pics as the progress continues.

-Dave
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if it is a problem for me to show how the splitter is attached to the car...

Sorry, I thought I had the install and close up photos of my rear diffuser on this computer but can't seem to locate them. I will find them and post. I think I paid $150 for all four SRT diffuser fins. They were "pre-broken in" and in perfect shape.
Looks awesome!
so those are straight from an SRT? the rear bumpers have the same contour?
can you post a pic of the way you mounted them, PLEASE?:D

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
davem,
you just have to do a writeup when you're done
please take lots of pics

this is a great idea

I can't wait to see how you mated the facia to the splitter, that has been my failing point on my attempts

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: made my own.....

Well,
I decided to make my own splitter out of carbon fiber. Here's a pic of the mockup and the finished piece 30 seconds after I popped it out of the mold. Need to clean up the edges and clear it, but it looks decent.

I'm going to use some 1/4" aluminum and extend the frame horns in the front of the car to the inside of the fascia, and bolt it through to the extension with diagonal shims so I can adjust the angle. Front supports too, from the bumper mounts. I'll post some more pics as the progress continues.

-Dave

Curious about your design basis having it not project as much in the center. Why did you do it that way?

Also, how are you going to seal it from air entering between it and the fascia?

Looks very good BTW.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: made my own.....

Dave666,
I have to admit I cut the gap in the center because I like the way the new ACR splitter looks, so I modeled it after that. I may tone it down a bit.

The seal: After I mount it to the car and get the car back on the ground, I'm going to set it at "0", then move it up to the limit of the range of motion that I will allow. My plan after that is to spray foam into the gap, using the surface of the fascia and the splitter as the mold, sealing it to the fascia at the upper limit of it's movement. Then pull the foam off, lay up over the foam after some trimming and then rivet or epoxy the "seal" to the top of the splitter. Should block most of the air, but still allow some adjustment.

I used a similar technique when I made the wing, just layed the "feet" up right on the body of the car so that it fit the contour perfectly.

If you have a better idea, let me know and I'll try it.

thanks for the comments.

-Dave

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't like the Autoform front fascia, but is that their rear with the diffuser?

2. Bottlefed.."I don't like the Autoform front either
the center lights disrupt the whole flow of the car, IMO"

Thanks for both of the unsolicited, personal opinions regarding the AF fascia.... Not sure where those comments came from... I vaguely mentioned that the two worked in conjunction with each other, guess that was it. The GTS-R look is not for everyone. A little too "race inspired" and functional for some. But thanks again for the unrelated comments...:smirk:

dave666... check post #16 for back and side. Check my last two posts for close ups. The only way to give you more is for me to come to Texas and do it for you...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for both of the unsolicited, personal opinions regarding the AF fascia.... Not sure where those comments came from... I vaguely mentioned that the two worked in conjunction with each other, guess that was it. The GTS-R look is not for everyone. A little too "race inspired" and functional for some. But thanks again for the unrelated comments...:smirk:

dave666... check post #16 for back and side. Check my last two posts for close ups. The only way to give you more is for me to come to Texas and do it for you...

Comments come from the fact that this is a public forum. You solicit replies when you post something here.

And stating during a discussion on a particular mod that you don't like brand X is not personal or disrespectful. It is meant to promote further discussion of options.

Thanks for the option to come to Texas. We have great Mexican food and margaritas.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake,
thanks for the close-up pics
It looks very tempting

I didn't mean to insult your car, it is AWESOME
When you posted the pics of the front I thought you were giving us an option for a front splitter
I simply stated I did not like the auoform front so that would not work for me

If autoform gave the option of deleting the 2 center lights, I think they might sell more
99% of the racecars that have this fascia don't even need the lights