Furry visitor in glove box!

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unbelievable - today, I was getting my registration out of the glove box for my emissions test, and the envelope it was in was chewed on one corner. As I pulled it out, I saw that a Tootsie Roll pop I had in there which I bought from a charity thing was 3/4 of the way chewed up. Then I saw the evidence, those nasty little pieces of mouse crap! How the hell does a mouse get into a glove box on a Gen. 1! I don't see any spaces nearly big enough in there??? Is there a space created when the door is closed - I don't think so. The door is always closed for sure. I also found a salad crouton from my garbage half-chewed on my passenger side sill. All you CSI guys weigh in! Thankfully, no Viper related parts were chewed - and yes, I did check under the hood.

Dave.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive your car more often. I am sure that will drive (pun intended) the mouse away better than any chemicals would.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gen1 glove box probably has quite a bit of space for "Mickey" to slide in around the latch clip.

Those little guys are notorious for sneaking into places that you would never expect! Time to call an exterminator!

True story:

My wife went to the grocery store and left one bag of non-perishable groceries in the back of her sedan overnight. Brought the bag inside next morning, and complained to the kids "why did you grab the middle out of the white bread?"... needless to say, they all denied it. I took one look at the evidence, and realized that the hole in the bread was "too perfectly round" to be grabbed by a kids fingers.... went to the garage and found droppings in the back of the sedan. Put 3 mousetraps in the car overnight ....... and caught .......

TWO furry rodents!!!!!

Not sure if the critters were in the bread when she grabbed it from the grocery store, or whether they snuck in through the fenderwells!

Needless to say, it was time to trade in the car!

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't read this.

I am a pretty big guy, lift weights, etc...

BUT,

if I see a mouse I will be up on the hood of the car shrieking like a little girl. :eek:

If anyone wants a Viper cheap, just sneak a mouse in to my car, it will be history the next day.

My cars stay in the garage, windows down, never ever had a problem. Not even in my Stang which has been down getting worked on for months at a time.

One thing, I never eat in my cars, and for sure never ever leave food in there.

I told my wife, if there is a mouse in the pool skimmer, it is her job.

Howard

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was getting the oil changed on my GMC Yukon when the mechanic asked me to come out into the shop. He had the air cleaner box open and there were the remains of about 300 acorns lying there. I wondered how many rides the little furry guy took with me. He had to be a brave little rodent if he came back after the first one.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a similar experience.. Memorial day weekend We went to go for a drive and I opened the trunk to fold down the top, and located between the trunk weatherstrip and where the bottom of the top is bolted to the car, was mom and 7 babies. I think she moved them there as they were too large to have been born there cause we had driven the car a week earlier.

I just happend to have a paper towel in my hand so I quickly covered the nest and as many as I could and yelled for Sheryl (fiancee) to bring me a larger towel to cover them up. When she didn't come, I looked around and my shop vac was behind me still plugged from the previous weekend BONUS!!!!

I grabbed for the vac, got it running and was able to **** up 6 young ones. Mom and one of the young ones escaped down the water drain holes at the base of the top before I could get them all.

By this time Sheryl came walking into the garage and casually asked what was going on. I explained about the mice and even showed her the ones in the vacuum. I thought she was going to have a cow when I told her about this. She told me that if ever I wanted her to go for a ride in the future, I had better get the remaining two mice out of the car and be able to prove that I did.

Here is where the work started. I removed the tail lights to see what I could see, which was absolutely nothing. Lots of frame and plenty of places for the critters to hide. I then jacked up the rear of the car, slid underneath, looked around and still nothing. I then decided it was time to get serious, so I proceeded to remove BOTH rear wheel well liners that have a half million screws holding them in. I looked around, took an air nozzle from the compressor and blew around and still couldn't get anything.

I put the tires back on temporarily, rolled out into the driveway and got out the pressure washer. I was laying on my back shooting enough water to drown half of the city. I was ready to give up when suddenly Mom with the baby in her mouth dropped onto the face shield I was wearing. They slid off onto the drive out of my sight.

I got up as quickly as I could looking for them and out of the corner of my eye I saw them scurrying through the grass.

To save the squeemish the gory details, I used my 32 years of Military training, to soundly and permanently dispatch those buggers to their maker. I of course showed Sheryl the remains so I am now back in her good graces.

After spending about 2 1/2 hours taking the car apart and putting it back together, A ride with the top down was soothing to say the least.

As a footnote, Buy some nicely scented dryer sheets and place them in your car. NO MICE. I do this every winter and have NEVER had a problem. I just never thought I would need them in the driving season. GO FIGURE

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mice love cars! I had a huge nest under the hood of a BMW convertible I was mostly not driving that winter. Mice basically tore up a hammock hanging on the wall to build it, too!
Phockers!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can volunteer 1 or 2 of my terriers to help out.Problem is they would tear out anything that had a sent on it.Kill the intruder as well as the interior.Guarantee kill method:Rat trap and peanut with shell.Put a small slice in the peanut shell and push it onto the triangular bait holding piece of the trap.They have to yank on it to get it and yes they do.Works well on squirles or other rodents that invade your house. GTS Bruce

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in the desert and we have tons of pack rats, not mice. Well, we have mice also, but they are not the problem that the pack rats present. They can be in your car in one night out and they LOVE fan belts,rubber hoses, and wiring!! Ace hardware sells things called "STICKY BOXES" and they will get them. Then you just throw away the box and the rat. They are extremely destructive and will take up housekeeping in a flash. :shocked:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't read this.

I am a pretty big guy, lift weights, etc...

BUT,

if I see a mouse I will be up on the hood of the car shrieking like a little girl. :eek:

If anyone wants a Viper cheap, just sneak a mouse in to my car, it will be history the next day.

My cars stay in the garage, windows down, never ever had a problem. Not even in my Stang which has been down getting worked on for months at a time.

One thing, I never eat in my cars, and for sure never ever leave food in there.

I told my wife, if there is a mouse in the pool skimmer, it is her job.

Howard

You need to be commended for outing your fears. You should also come clean about how you enjoy ABBA, and love to bake wearing only an apron and heels. :D

sorry... couldn't resist :cool: :cool: :cool:

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Abba, old news.....

Now I like the "A Teens"

Hmmm, I better go put some Bounce dryer sheets in my Stang.

Howard

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep those mouse traps or sticky traps in your garage all year long...peanut butter or small pieces of apples does the trick.

Dave

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ratzapper. Check them out at agrizap.com. It works awesome! Put in 4 AA batteries which charge a capacitor, when the rodent goes in it completes the circuit on the contact plates and ZAP! Dead mouse, no mess at all. Just empty the dead mouse and reset it. These things work great.

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rat Zapper is just what I need. We live back in the woods and furry guys are a constant problem in our garages. I ordered one this morning. Die random mouse!