G-Tech Pro PC software and firmware 3.0 available

Devin 97 Blue GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you guys get to work with the Viper's RPMs? I purchase one of the first G Tech Pro, but could not get the RPM's led to work right. (The rpm gage was going all over the place and tech support was no help) It worked fine in my M3 and Mini S

OP
OP
P

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who said may? It was december 2002 first.. some wait for a very long time :-o

RPM? The old firmware worked better on my 5 Cyl. Volvo. It helps, when I turn on some electics like light or..

Just found the following on their website:

NOTE: As of June 17, 2003 we are aware of an issue with this firmware intaller for some versions of MS Windows. We are working on resolving the issue. If you experience an error during the install, please check back in a few days. When this message has been removed, download again for a repaired version.

What ever "some versions" mean :) It does not work on w2k nor on xp.. well, at least the PC software seems to work.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick I just purchased mine a week ago. In the literature it indicated May. They may have been updating the manual.

Devin the Gtech Competition Pro obtains the engine speed via the electrical signal. I presume it is measuring the frequency of the alternator output, and thus is not related to quantity of cylinders or odd-fire characteristics. You need to calibrate it at 2 different engine speeds for it to learn the engine speed associated with a specific electrical frequency. Mine works great for rpm. Not a very clear gauge, but follows the real tach pretty good.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get mine to communicate with the pc. Darn serial port stuff. Always conflicts. You would think a new device would use USB or firewire and thus not need any setup. Ugh!

BTW mine was an impulse last week. Sold my old one via EBay just yesterday.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT, make sure you have the latest firmware in the unit. The old 2.0 and below does not work well (or at all) with the serial interface. The new 3.0 firmware ROCKS and the cornering lights are the BEST!

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great news b/c after i updated to 2.0 my Escalde did 0-60mph in 6.X something..lol thanx for the info.Mbn

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine came loaded with version 3.0.0. I will try disconnecting my palm pilot connection and using it. Does anyone make an adapter so you can use a firewire or USB. Probably not but wishful thinking.

Wish I had a flat road around to make a full quarter mile run nearby. Maybe Woodward Avenue. I would benefit by having radar confirmation of the trap speed!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, What serial port settings are you using. I can't seem to get it to work using either port. The manual does not say anything.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got mine a couple of days ago and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I had one of the old ones and it was a lot of fun to play with. The new one is so much more advanced.

One question: Can you get 60 ft. times without running the entire 1/4 mile?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning on using 3650 for an SRT. 3350 + 50 lbs fuel + 200 lbs me + 50 (floormats + trunk carpet kit, etc.).

I believe you can. Yep, just confirmed it benchtop racing. I have mine here at my desk and just plug it in and tip it back to simulate acceleration. Just did a 9.8 1/4 at 156 mph. Woo Hoo! I went just until the 0-60 number appeared and then stopped. It only showed the 0-60 result. No other numbers.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. I was thinking that we may be able to determine the rolling and drag factors by recording info from 100 mph or so in neutral with no braking. The deceleration would be the combination of velocity effects and rolling resistance. Once you have that you can add it back to the derived horsepower numbers to get RWHP. Worth a try. I have very recent dyno data for comparison.

OP
OP
P

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The firmware upgrade version that is now on their website is working..
There is NO note on the site that it is fixed, but the note that it is NOT working has been removed.

CheerZ
GnaeX

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone does not have one of these, you should get one. The software has allowed me to do some fine tuning and whether or not this unit gives 'true' numbers, it can be gauged against itself. That being said I have gotten my MPH up to 139/140 on each and every pass now. There is no way my A** dyno would help with only a 5mph gain, but this unit sure has. I can see each and every fuel and timing change graphed out in a 3 pass average and it gives instant confirmation of a change (good or bad in some cases)

Wish I owned stock in this company, once more people start getting the feel for these they will be EVERYWHERE!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhanger