Gen 1 Dash Repaint In Grey?

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone stipped and redone their Gen 1 dash in grey to match the seats and left the gauge surrounds and radio surround black. I realize painting it all black is the most common and easiest way to go since you can paint the dash and the gauge and radio surrounds all the same color without having to tape them off. I would like to keep a somewhat original look, but the original dash does not match any of the other grey in the interior. I think it would look better if it did. I am not talking aboutre doing the fuzzy paint, just painting it grey to match the seats and othergrey soft parts

If anyone has done this, do you have pics? I have the dash out now and the fuzzy stuff has got to go. It gets stickier the hotter it gets.

Last edited:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I suggest you paint the dash in flat black like the 1996 RT's. I have tried to do the grey "fuzzy" paint and have never been happy. A really good bodyshop can get it right but they are hard to find.

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call john b at partsrack> he advised me on the dash - has the best factory interior paint an the chrome gaugge ring sets.

search fro the word 'fuzzy' in the vca forums -will take you to a great thread on repainting the fuzzy gen 1 dashes and interior parts. thread ends with a pic of my refinished gray gen1 interior.:2tu:

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process this very weekend of repainting the dash on my Gen 1. Several threads on the site to look through with great tips from paint removal to removing the dash. Easy Off oven cleaner and 000 steelwool did the trick faster than I would have imagined for removing the paint. I am using flat black paint with a final coat of flat clear, both made by Valspar (Lowes). The finish is has a very slight sheen, fingerprint proof and looks factory. Great winter project while I wait for the $%& SNOW to stop flying. Good luck!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flat black is the way to go.... If it's not the fuzzy original, why keep it grey?

You must be registered for see images attach

(My opinion only..)

Last edited:

DMC94

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
One other option, nice but expensive. Since I LIKE the gray of the interior, I sent the dash, console and door panels to Venzano Viperto have them all done in gray leather. It came back with chrome (polished stainless) rings around the gauges and is MUCH easier to clean compared to the original paint.

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other option, nice but expensive. Since I LIKE the gray of the interior, I sent the dash, console and door panels to Venzano Viperto have them all done in gray leather. It came back with chrome (polished stainless) rings around the gauges and is MUCH easier to clean compared to the original paint.

Have any pics that you can post?:usa:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flat black is the way to go.... If it's not the fuzzy original, why keep it grey?

You must be registered for see images attach

(My opinion only..)

That does look really good. Are the lighter colored panels lower down leather wrapped?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to paint the dash in my '96, which is already black. My bigger concern is how to best mask off the guage surrounds for paint and during the stripping process. There's a difference in the sheen between the current black paint and unpainted plastic areas.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That does look really good. Are the lighter colored panels lower down leather wrapped?

It's all original... I painted the dash black because all gen 1 cars that get driven more that a few miles have a few scuffs on that horrible sticky/fuzzy dash...and I think a flat black looks best...

:drive::drive::drive:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all original... I painted the dash black because all gen 1 cars that get driven more that a few miles have a few scuffs on that horrible sticky/fuzzy dash...and I think a flat black looks best...

:drive::drive::drive:

V cool. I really like that combination.