Gen 1 head gaskets/ Is there a need for a cost effective replacement.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As many of you know, the production head gasket from 1992-1996 was a composite gasket that corroided easily and caused coolant leaks and blown gaskets in some cases. With the age of these cars more and more are due for head gasket replacement.

These gaskets were upgraded as a replacement part. But a replacement upper engine gasket set is $1140. This makes a head gasket job on a early Viper very expensive. With the age of the car we usually do a valve job/ resurface and replace many of the rubber hoses. This can really add up.

I want to see if there is a market for these gaskets. It will cost about $6000 to build a production run, but it will cut the price in half.

If you are interested I will make this happen, just need to know if there is a
market for this.

SN8K BTN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do I determine if mine's bad (leaking)? I got a 3 yr/30k mile warrenty when I bought my Viper back in Sept '06.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll need a set sometime in the future. I would much rather pay ½ for a good set and would love to support a great vendor like DC Performance.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you going to make them Dan? Not to rain on your parade but this has been tried countless times in the past and nothing has ever been done. This no longer affects me as I have sold my Gen1 but what a coup this we be if somebody stepped up to the plate and made these gaskets for less than what DC sells them for.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6k to build a production run, but will cost the consumer 600 for a set (roughly). Let's do the math... 10 sets to break even (minus materials cost).

Start a group buy with a delivery date of something you are comfortable with. I bet you'll get 15-20 right now for that!

just my .02...

JD

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES!

I will at some point do the ported heads and cam, with a better and cheaper gaskets, it will be sooner....

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a need?

he@#! yes there is a need! I will buy one!

I was at a PRI show here back in 05 and remember talking to a rep for Cometic. I was told then he had an old set for the Viper but here it is now 2 years later and not much has went forward with the R&D. I can't think of a better GenI expert that you Dan to take this one on.

You get the gaskets! We will Buy!

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd be interested. I've got two RT/10's - the stock 93 still has the original gaskets and 42k miles on the clock. I'm sure I'm going to need a set for it at some stage!

Nigel