Gen 1 head gaskets/ Is there a need for a cost effective replacement.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I want to see if there is a market for these gaskets. It will cost about $6000 to build a production run, but it will cut the price in half.

I'm pretty sure Dan is talking about manufacturing the 2 HEAD GASKETS ONLY, not the full $1150+ set. Tooling costs alone, 2-way transport of a block, etc, etc, could easily make the net-net-net on 50 sets (small minimum order) come in at $150++ per gasket. Mopar MSRP is currently $442 on ONE GASKET. So I suspect Dan can eventually offer TWO for what Mopar wants for ONE Head gasket. Two-For-One = half price.

Adding those other (needed) OE gaskets in ala-carte would end up totalling more than half-price of the current kit. I don't believe Dan will be offering the full gasket SET at half price. Those facts aside, more applause to Dan Cragin for (again) considering this task. I've told him PartsRack would partner in the project if needed.

[Fast Forward: Some I know would whine about the "reproduction" gasket. Some disgruntled employee from the manufacturer will steal some and offer them on e-bad or Thieves-List for $50 each......]

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, can we please get a repsonse to Jon B's post? He brings up a very important point...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, can we please get a repsonse to Jon B's post? He brings up a very important point...

I have spoken w/ Dan, and found he is indeed talking about the HEAD GASKETS.
Buying 2 at about half-price, then adding the the needed others ala-carte to build a kit, is still several HUNDRED DOLLARS BELOW the current MSRP of a kit....but not half-price of a MoPar kit's MSRP.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have spoken w/ Dan, and found he is indeed talking about the HEAD GASKETS.
Buying 2 at about half-price, then adding the the needed others ala-carte to build a kit, is still several HUNDRED DOLLARS BELOW the current MSRP of a kit....but not half-price of a MoPar kit's MSRP.

Jon, thanks a bunch for the clarification.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Dan,

Just drove a 1800 mile (yes, 1800) 1994 RT/10 here in Amarillo. The owner and I discussed the head gaskets.

If you think this car is a candidate, he would go for them.

He wants to keep the car. He is a multi-vette owner who has seen the light.

Fun to see his teeth shining like ours all did/do.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUESTION:
What is the life cycle of the new replacement metal head gaskets?

Mine were replaced in the winter of 2003, and I have about 11,000 miles on the gaskets since then; not a lot of miles.
Is there a need to do them again? Obviously if they leak, yes, but what have rebuilders experienced?

Later,

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another point to consider is that there is no guarantee that Dodge will continue to supply these gaskets forever. If there supply dries up, it would be fantastic to have an alternative source.

Glad to see the vendors are planning for the future.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUESTION:
What is the life cycle of the new replacement metal head gaskets?

Mine were replaced in the winter of 2003, and I have about 11,000 miles on the gaskets since then; not a lot of miles.
Is there a need to do them again? Obviously if they leak, yes, but what have rebuilders experienced?

Later,
They seem to be "lifetime" gaskets. If you don't have some sort of a failure (loose head bolt) they should last.

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just before I bought my 93 they said they changed the head gaskets. How long should I expect these to last? I have had the car for two years now and put about 2,000 miles on it. I have read where some have over 70,000 on the orginal gaskets while others had trouble early. How soon would they need the money?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just before I bought my 93 they said they changed the head gaskets. How long should I expect these to last? I have had the car for two years now and put about 2,000 miles on it. I have read where some have over 70,000 on the orginal gaskets while others had trouble early. How soon would they need the money?

If you have the metal head gaskets, they will last forever. If you have the old paper gaskets, there's no telling.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PUHLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody make this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There would need to be at least 100 orders to make it worth the tooling time involved. Cometic Gasket Inc is in the best position to make this happen and he told me they probably never will. They have a GENII and III gasket only ($120). http://www.cometic.com/