Gen 1 Sidepipe Paint Protection

Joseph Volpe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a supplier for the paint protection film on the bump of early side exhaust? I'm having mine repainted and not sure if standard PPF can withstand those temps. Was the factory film special for that reason? Thanks for any info....

Chad Spackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I’m trying is “side sill thermal insulation”. Available at the theViperStore.com. If you get stuck in stop & go traffic on a 95+ degree day, those sills are ******* the paint

Big E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some of the NOS paint protection film for the Gen 1 side pipes. When I was thinking about reproducing some I noticed that the OE pieces were really thick. I couldn't find anything that thick. Maybe it was thicker to withstand the extreme heat.

That upgraded thermal insulation is the way to go.

OP
OP
Joseph Volpe

Joseph Volpe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some of the NOS paint protection film for the Gen 1 side pipes. When I was thinking about reproducing some I noticed that the OE pieces were really thick. I couldn't find anything that thick. Maybe it was thicker to withstand the extreme heat.

That upgraded thermal insulation is the way to go.
I agree that the heat insulation is a good idea. Still want the clear paint protection to stop stone chips. Are you interested in selling any? Thanks

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was thinking about reproducing some I noticed that the OE pieces were really thick. I couldn't find anything that thick.
I would suppose that material is known as "helicopter tape". It was originally applied to the leading edges of rotor blades in Viet Nam to protect against erosion due to sand, small stones, bugs, etc. My recollection is that the front edges of the side sills, along with the front corners of the Gen2 fascia air dams had this tape/decal applied for the same reason.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala