Gen 1 - Start Up Question

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question about initial start up on a Gen 1 Viper: obviously the clutch needs to be matted to the floor to start the car (and in neutral), correct? So, if I am getting the lights on the dash but no turning of the motor then the clutch is not in all the way down, right? Sorry - excuse my asking but I just wanted to check nd confirm.

Well, what if the car is turning over for 10 seconds or more? It does finally start up but what could that be? The manual does mention on what to do if it keeps turning over after 3-5 seconds - but I thought I would ask true die-hard owners about this... thanks folks!

Pictures to come soon - just awaiting final Provincial inspection and then insuring my new ride! And THEN it will be signing up to the forum as a TRUE VIPER owner!

Thanks for the help! More to post about fellow VCA members who have helped me out, too!

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the clutch pedal must be fully depressed but the car doesn't have to be in neutral, (though it wouldn't be wise to start it in gear with just the clutch pedal depressed). Sounds to me like it might have a weak fuel pump or a bad check valve in the fuel pump, either way, still sounds like a fuel pump problem, that's just my opinion based on what you wrote. If you turn the car off for 5-10 minutes does it start right back up? Or does it take 10 seconds again??

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Judging from the two separate descriptions provided, it sounds as though your clutch position sensor may be failing as well as fuel pressure leak down as noted above.

OP
OP
B

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys - it'***** and miss. Does not happen all the time - and yes, after about 3-5 minutes it starts up (but just turns over and does not start on a dime). Again I just got the car; I know it has been sitting for a couple of years, too...

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was nice to meet you at the ferry ride over to Victoria the other day.You have a beautiful vehicle.I will be there permanently next week and we will be going cruising with out a doubt.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You might see if the clutch pedal wants to wobble from side to side, this might cause the clutch pedal to not go down far enough, try pushing to the right as you push down and see if that cures the no crank issue. If it does, replace the clutch pedal bushings, they're cheap. The long crank time is most likely being caused by a bad check valve in the fuel pump. You can correct this in several ways, either replace the fuel pump or build and install a primer timer which will cause the fuel pump to run slightly longer and correct the problem. I have run in to both these issues, and the bushings, and primer timer corrected both of them. Hope this helps. "Throttle"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang