Gen 1 Valve Cover Removal

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did try the search function, but came up with nothing concerning removing the valve covers on a Gen 1.
My question is the removal of the lower bolts (drivers side in particular) Do you have to remove the hard coolant pipe/line? it basically runs under the valve cover and covers the bolts, just wondered if there is a simple workaroud.

Nick

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That coolant pipe is mounted to the valve covers.......

Think you can remove them leaving the coolant pipe in place...

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once the bolts are out, you can use a ratcheting 7/16" wrench to remove the bolts in the side of the valve covers that hold the wire looms and the coolant pipe in place. It's a tight squeeze, but you can pry the pipe back and pull the cover off without removing the pipe.

For the passenger side, I unplug the IAC and remove the throttle cable bracket. After unplugging the IAC the car idles crazy, so I have to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and the car evens itself out after about 20 miles of driving.

PM if you have any other questions. I've been in mine 3-4 times in the last month, so it's still fresh in my head.

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, will take a closer look this weekend, want to take them off and clean them/paint them to match the intake.

Nick