Gen 2 Belly Pan..........

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there any structural importance to the belly pan/trans cover plate on a Gen 2 GTS?

I know it is just bolted but does it reduce flex in the frame?

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it just looks cool; you know, like this is a racecar with a few pretty panels on the outside and a license plate.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any structural importance to the belly pan/trans cover plate on a Gen 2 GTS?

I know it is just bolted but does it reduce flex in the frame?
The short answer is yes.

OP
OP
V

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks CamFab.................Just trying to shed some weight, was thinking about fabbing one out of alum or carbon fiber

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Not sure how exactly it fits on a gen 2, but the one on a gen 3 has some pretty oversize holes to make it easier to line up. Judging from that I'd tend toward saying that it's not really a structural piece, more of an aero aid and just generally handy for keeping things clean I've found. I'd think you'd probably be okay making it out of something lighter weight, but you might be wary of cracking if the frame does flex a bit.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since automotive engineers tend to design things to save weight and money where they can, I would bet that the belly pan is the lightest it could be to achieve it's purpose.

I wouldn't f**k with it.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The belly pan on RT10 is aluminum 4mm with 12 high grade bolts. I have replaced them with stainless steel high tensile button head bolts and torqued them to specs. I believe the pan is mainly for protection purposes, but will offer some structural support to the ladden frame of the Viper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala