Gen 2 engine - immobilizer question

shone190

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have some project car and want to put Viper 2nd gen engine in it. My question is, does 2nd engine have some kind of immobiliser or something like that, so that can make me a problem?

If has, is it possible to remove it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Not sure if the stock computer has one or not, but worst case you could always do an aftermarket engine management system like AEM or others. Their universal ECU should be able to be used on just about anything. I think the Gen 2 is capable of using an SCT tuner as well, so if it does have some variety of security system you'd probably have a better chance at being able to remove it since it's more easily programmable.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're referring to the setup GM had used for many years (where a 50Hz signal was generated when the ohm reading on the key was correct), the answer would be, "no." You will probably find an AEM to be the simplest way to get sorted out if doing a swap into a project car.

Good luck and don't forget pictures!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck finding an AEM. Be prepared to scour....they are somewhat scarce but as indicated, they'll likely get you where you're trying to go with that build.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Worst case you could get a universal AEM, they should be readily available. They're capable of running a 10 cylinder, though I think you may have to sacrifice the capability of sequential injection (if it matters that much to you). I used one on a little two cylinder engine for a college project (I know, way overkill), but you could set it up to work with just about anything. The main issue there is you'd have to make a wiring harness as well. Could probably start with a stock one and just cut off the factory computer connector and splice it to the universal AEM plug. You'd have to track down pinouts or just follow all the wires to their respective plugs. It's not impossible, just takes time.