Gen 2 Oil Temp Guage

G-ManGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently acquired an 02 GTS and am looking forward to being part of the VCA community. So far I am in love with every aspect of the car, and I really like the plethora of guages, but it's missing the most important Oil Temperature guage. Having had a few BMW M cars, it's all about the engine oil temp, and knowing the temperature at any given time is rather important in a performance engine. I tried searching the forum for some ideas, but did not really find anything usefull.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket oil temp guage, and what's involved? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Gary

OP
OP
G

G-ManGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. 3 days, 116 views, and not a single reply. Not even a welcome. Tough crowd....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Unfortunately what you are asking for is kind of a "few and far between" in this type of market. Most of these owners would opt to leave the interior uncluttered than to start adding gauges, which is no one has answered which has any info or experience. Generally, the kind of customer who will put on an Oil Temp Gauge is a Track customer, or a Forced Induction customer, and they tend to either put Boost as the priority, or use some form of multi-gauge or digital dashboard which can display multiple parameters. Also note that on a GTS/RT, the oil temp will be a bit variable, as the shuttle valve for the oil cooler is pressure based. Low engine speeds/low pressure will allow the oil temp to climb for maximum A/C function.

If you would like Oil Temp only, you may want to consider looking at AEM products. They offer a nice digital/analog Oil Temp gauge which could be fitted in many locations or add-on pods.

OP
OP
G

G-ManGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dan. I too would like to keep the interior as stock as possible so i was thinking of going with the following gauge pod that integrates nicely between the tech and speedo gauges right on top of the steering wheel column.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370963867865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My only concern is where to tap the oil temp sensors into. I noticed a hex plug in the oil filter adapter in the following link, i'm just not sure if i will get an accurate reading from there. Any ideas?

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...Installation-(Gen-II)-by-Henry-amp-Janni-Cone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery