Gen 2 RT/10 Doors on a Gen 1?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I know that it is probably cost prohibitive and not worth the cash - but can anyone say affirmatively say YES OR NO whether a Gen 2 door will fit on a Gen 1?

Any glass or other fitament issues?

Thanks.

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey,

I looked into this a couple of years ago for my 1994. The doors will fit, though you need to replace the windshield frame. I was told that the angle of the post that would meet the door's window is different. Although someone told me that it was just a matter of modifying the weatherstrip. I personally don't see why a good glass man couldn't shave it to fit, provided the difference went towards the window.
Otherwise, you would also need to wire the doors up and find a spot of your liking to place the switches. Viper Parts Larry would be a good person to speak to about this. As well as Jon B. at the Parts Rack. They have been very helpful with info and items to me in the past.

Good Luck!
Paul :2tu:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking at this mod for my 1996 RT for a couple of years. I've been told the windshield is the same for 1992-2002 RTs, so the frame should be the same. I've studied my 1996 against a 2001 and the only difference to my eye is the weatherstrip.
The seat belts are on the door of the Gen 1 and come out of the rear bulkhead on the Gen 2. The sport cap PAD is different as the rear door "tower" is taller on the Gen 2.
If I recall correctly the latch mounts somewhat differently on the Gen 2.

But if you look at both cars, the quarter panel crosses over, the sport cap crosses, the windshield crosses... you can even put Gen 2 side sills on a Gen 1 when you put rear exhaust?

So logically, the doors should be a fit, with some minor mods.

I was looking at purchasing Albert's doors.... but he indicated that someone told him there was a LOT of fabrication to be done?

If I could find one driver side door cheap... I'd try it... I just don't want to spend $5K on two doors and then find out it cannot be done?

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that it is probably cost prohibitive and not worth the cash - but can anyone say affirmatively say YES OR NO whether a Gen 2 door will fit on a Gen 1?

Any glass or other fitament issues?

Thanks.

I am doing this on my Project Viper so technially the answer is "Yes".... and No.

The doors bolt right up. But as the post above says, the windshield surround was changed to fit the glass/weatherstrip combination.

A fellow in Pheonix, Viper Car Parts has done a few conversions W/O changing out the windshield surround, but the weatherstip was a bit ... um.... "Fat". I saw one he did at the Vegas VOI. Give him a call, his name is Chris.

Now to the, "No". To do the change correctly, it takes a LOT of changes, here is what I have got for my conversion:

1) Doors

Don't forget to take the VIN decal off your old drivers side door, I did.. so whoever I sold my old door to, now has my decal with my MDH on it :(

2) Inner doors

I bought a pair off a GTS being changed to a race car by Sean Roe

3) Seat belts

I bought a pair of Team-Tech Harnesses, and plan to also put in a set of traditional type buckle four point harnesses for easier passenger use. The seat belts are in the doors on the Gen I's. This was how Team Viper got away with no-air bags on Gen I's as this way, technically, the seatbelt could stay connected, and became a "Passive" safety device. On Gen II's they moved inboard, between the seats to make room for the glass in the door. So you can buy Gen II seatbelts if you want. If you do this, you'll also need to buy a Gen II trim panel that goes behind the seats, the seat belt retracters and the buckle.... and mount it all, not sure if this would require welding in reinforcment or not.

4) Windshield Surround

5) Correct weather stripping

6) New soft top to fit new windshield surround

7) New hard top to fit new windshield surround

8) Power window switches, door harnesses, under dash harness

9) You have to do the wiring to get power to the windows and the switches into the system.

Hope this helps.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....I've been looking at this mod for my 1996 RT for a couple of years. I've been told the windshield is the same for 1992-2002 RTs, so the frame should be the same. I've studied my 1996 against a 2001 and the only difference to my eye is the weatherstrip......

Windshield is the same (sort of, see comments below), but the frame is not, profile is different to accomodate the weatherstripping for the windows. Try to put a Gen II top on a Gen I, or visa-versa, and other differences will be obvious. You are right, to the eye, they look the same, but they are not interchangable.

Now for the windshield:

'92's and first few '93's the windshield does not have antenna wires in it (hence the rear fender whip antenna on these cars. Why? Well, originally there was not going to be any radio (or A/C). If it did not make it go faster, it was not going on this pure of purpose car!

In early '93, the windshield got the embedded antenna wires, and the rear fender antenna went away. At the same time the battery moved from the trunk to the to the rear frame rail (to make room for European rear exhaust), a revese lockout (harder spring) was added too.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...Pretty crazy...How much would a complete conversion cost? Minus top/paint for doors? This is what i would love to know......

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just sell your GenI and buy a GenII if windows are that important, or better yet, but a corvette, that'll be real comfy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc