Gen 2 RT/10 unstable at high speed. why?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put a new set of tires on it/ alighnment and you will be done

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>all three have been on bad tires how ever good tread but old build date.<<<

Well...:eater:what do you expect from a race car with hockey pucks as wheels :lmao:

The other issues have been discussed above except for one: how heavy are you?
IF you are over 350 pounds you will get a free meal at the Heart Attack Grill but your Viper might not like it! :D

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no way all three had bad alignment, OP needs to grow a set

Plum-sized, perhaps? :rolaugh::rolaugh: (Sorry, Phil...couldn't resist)....

Seriously...my RT rides even better at high speeds like that.

And it's not even a GTS...:nono:

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 is a lot less aerodynamic than the GTS, so at high speeds, it will get a lot more squirrely than a GTS. I don't think that would happen at 85 mph, though, so checking the alignment and the tires would probably be a good idea...

For anyone that cares, the RT/10 is a horrible aerodynamic design - more so than most 'convertibles.' Once the airstream passes the windshield, there is a gigantic amount of turbulence. Then, when that turbulent air passes over the notched trunk area, there is profound turbulence and rotational flow. Not only does it increase drag dramatically (the RT/10 has a Cd of around 0.5 compared to the GTS's Cd of around .35), it also can de-stabilize the car at high speeds by moving the effective aerodynamic center forward. Cars like to have their aerodynamic center as far back as possible for stability - and when the aerodynamic center moved forward, they go unstable or feel unstable. It's a lot like trying to throw a dart backwards - it will flip around.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been to 125 in my Gen 1 with the top off ... no stability issues. It gets a little light around 130 but I wouldn't call it unstable. Gen 2 is supposed to be much improved over that

OP
OP
R

rthorley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>all three have been on bad tires how ever good tread but old build date.<<<

Well...:eater:what do you expect from a race car with hockey pucks as wheels :lmao:

The other issues have been discussed above except for one: how heavy are you?
IF you are over 350 pounds you will get a free meal at the Heart Attack Grill but your Viper might not like it! :D

Im 5/10 175

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 is a lot less aerodynamic than the GTS, so at high speeds, it will get a lot more squirrely than a GTS. I don't think that would happen at 85 mph, though, so checking the alignment and the tires would probably be a good idea...

For anyone that cares, the RT/10 is a horrible aerodynamic design - more so than most 'convertibles.' Once the airstream passes the windshield, there is a gigantic amount of turbulence. Then, when that turbulent air passes over the notched trunk area, there is profound turbulence and rotational flow. Not only does it increase drag dramatically (the RT/10 has a Cd of around 0.5 compared to the GTS's Cd of around .35), it also can de-stabilize the car at high speeds by moving the effective aerodynamic center forward. Cars like to have their aerodynamic center as far back as possible for stability - and when the aerodynamic center moved forward, they go unstable or feel unstable. It's a lot like trying to throw a dart backwards - it will flip around.

Just an FYI, one of the places I worked in the past evaluated the aero for the Gen2 way back then for Chrysler, GTS and RT/10, and both are naturally poor designs resulting in lift at high speed, that's the problem. They also did the aero and body work for the race GTS-R (i.e. for Oreca / LeMans).

But they looked good.

Cheers,
Mike

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 RT/10 (Stock) speeds of up to 160mph with no issues at all, but like others said if the road is grooved the wide tires will track all over the place feeling like a bad alignment issue...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have NOT read the whole thread, but I assure you the SUBJECT LINE of your thread is misleading.

1) There is something WRONG with the car: Mechanical, tires, or alignment issues. Or all 3. Salvage Title?

2) There is something wrong with the observer.....not likely with your self-assessed skills?

DO SOMETHING ABOUT # 1.............. or risk injury or worse. I have seen this 'mystery' that was belately found to be a SALVAGED Viper.......... These beasts are notoriously STABLE..... (But can benefit from simple suspension/aero mods)

hey guys

So ive driven a

1999 RT/10
2001 RT/10
2002 RT/10

Love them and have put more then 10,000 miles behind the wheel.

my question is that every car seemed so unstable over 85MPH

for a sports car how come this car seems to wonder so much at high speeds the nose seems to lift and float over the road.

Ive owned alot of imports
several mitsubishi Evolutions
Subaru STI
1993 Mazda RX-7 R1

ive driven them all at sprints of 100 and they all seem to squat down and grip the road at high speeds.

where is the down force on the viper?

anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no idea RT/10 aero was so bad. Just curious... anyone know the CD on a Gen III or IV?