Gen 2 Steering shaft needed a little refresh

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did some fishing this weekend and also removed the steering shaft from the car.

The factory coating didn't hold to well from the heat over the years. I wanted to freshin it up a little bit. Comes out every easily and pretty much only goes in one way as long as you don't move anything around and mark which way is up and where the upper shaft is you'll be good to go.

Here's some before and after pics

Angle of attack!! LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Before shots..

Used some Black VHT Caliper paint. I sandblasted the steering shaft, had to tape up the little U joints as well so I didn't get any sand on them. Came out looking great!!

After I pulled off the steering shaft, I noticed that this little seal around the steering gear was broken and brittle. I'm going to go to the parts store today and see if a dodge dakota pickup's seal is the same as the vipers, hopefully so.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laughed at the angle of attack photo! Really funny.

What a difference a bit of cleanup and paint made. I'm curious as to what you find on that seal. I'm guessing your's isn't the only one that's dried up. Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
E

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like to have fun when I do work...

I'm sure there is a few cars on this forum that need some touch up as well, that's why I was posting. As far as the seal. The parts store I went to had to have it delivered from another store. I'll be able to check it out tomorrow and see if it will work or not. Hopefully it does because the dealership said they do not offer it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nicely done.....also looks to be one of those things that can be completed in a weekend (rather than those projects that look like 2 hours and end up being weeks because of missing stuff, parts availability, asking for help on the boards etc)

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Found that my seal had also disinegrated on my '96 GTS. Please post if you found a replacement, I couldn't find one. Nice job on the repaint.

Frank

OP
OP
E

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The removal took about 10 minutes. Very easy to do, just three 13mm bolts. You could sand it down, but I have a sandblasting cabinet and it took me about a half hour because my glassbead was not taking off the orginal paint very well.

I went to the parts store (oreilly's) today to look at the seal kit for the dakota pickups, they did not have what I needed in there kit. I did a search on google at some other kits for various model cars. I am going to go there again tomorrow and bring my list and see if I can find a match. From what I saw online, I believe I have a winner, just have to find out for sure. I'll keep you all posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21