Gen 3 Cat Catastrophe

AirJock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone out there in Viper Land has heard or experienced this? Both my cats went out at the same time cooking all 4 O2 sensors. Engine light came on about 500 miles ago with an O2 code but then quickly went away. I took her out for a drive then after mile 50, BAM, car becomes very sluggish and starts bogging with no engine light. The car has under 20000 miles.

OP
OP
A

AirJock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if some drive their Vipers with the cats off how do their O2 sensors stay in tack? The shop is telling me because my cats failed they cooked off my O2 sensors which was causing my car to run extremely rough.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any mods to your car? I have never heard of all 4 cats going at the same time... I think someone is feeding you a line.....

OP
OP
A

AirJock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point exactly. Its very fishy. No there are no mods. They're trying to charge me for four O2 sensors

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point exactly. Its very fishy. No there are no mods. They're trying to charge me for four O2 sensors

You will likely need some new 02 sensors. All 4? doubtful. You should be throwing codes, replace whatever sensors are reporting codes.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
H(igh)F(low) cats. Metal. Not ceramic!
Maybe ... the stock ones tend to clogggggggggggggggggggg - after a while.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are paying the bill (no warranty), I would be careful about shotgunning out all four cats and all the O2 sensors. I would replace the primary (forward) cats first and see how it goes with codes and performance (and emissions). A clogged cat would not necessarily harm an O2 sensor, although those damn things are among the least reliable parts on a car, regardless. Your description of "bogging" does match up with a clogged cat or two, though-- so that part of the diagnosis is not really suspicious.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blown cats on the drivers side was the start of a several month long journey for me that ended with my motor being shipped out for a rebuild back in 2008 when the car had less than 9,000 miles on it. Don't F around with the cats, fix it and fix it right..... Either get an aftermarket setup ( Belanger etc... ), or replace the factory ones all at once.

The chain of events as best we could determine was.... Previous owner just started the car and idled it in the garage a lot, 5,600 miles on it when I got it in late 2007 ( It's a 2005 ). The driverside cats clogged up bad. The clogged up cats caused additional carbon buildup on the bank eventually leading to frozen rings in a couple of the cylinders. Frozen rings caused compression to go south with the added benifit of blowby into the pan. This would pressurize the oil system at higher revs ( 4k+ ) causing oil to be injected from the valvecover vents into the intake. This produces a nice cloud of smoke.... Dodge told the Vipertech to pull it and send it to Arrow. Several months later I got the car back, rebuilt engine all new cats etc....

All I can say about my experience is that I was VERY lucky to have a good service manager who cared, and the car was just barely still in warranty. I've since swapped out to a full Belanger system. I'd offer you my old factory cats, but I already gave them to someone here that needed a new set for the same "catastrophic" reason.

Quick edit note: During all this, I never got a code or engine light.

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both the primary cats were bad when I bought my 03. I got rid of all 4 and switched to a Gen IV exhaust. I highly recommend it, but only if you can get a good tune. It will run great and the tuner can eliminate the secondary 02 sensors.

In case you were wondering, it doesn't stink.

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your interested in getting new cats, i have a brand new set of hi flow cats with a stainless flex end. never used. There around $900 from Roe Racing, ill let them go cheaper for sure, let me know if your interested!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang