Gen 3 ipod adapter help

EvilSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. I am installing RB1 and ipod adapter on an 06 and just can't seem to find a reasonable place to fit the adapter. I have almost the entire dash disassembled, but have become frustrated as to the best place to install it without cutting anything out. Any tips from those of you who have done it?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I put my adaptor up high to the right behind the glove box, but still had to trim the box just a bit to make it fit. Someone mentioned that there was a spot lower down in the passenger footwell, but I cant remember exactly where? Good luck.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As rocket mentioned, I put mine in the upper right of the glove box. Attached it to the loom with wire ties. I did have to trim the right corner of the glove box a bit which was simple.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Spike,

All of my e-mails have been deleted somehow, I dont have an e-mail copy available anymore. However, I KNOW I posted the exact same thing on this board back in the day, so it should be here somewhere. There is no "Mopar Supplied" supplied manual for Viper installations.

I will try and find it for you...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fount Part of it...

RB-1 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Remove Shift Knob (two adjustable wrenches)
2. Remove Shifter Bezel (6 Allen screws)
3. remove the lower section of the center console (black plastic around shifter)
Tips:
-it is held on by 4 snaps in the corners, start with the back two, then do the front
-place a piece of masking tape on the frontal panel that covers the gauges and radio to prevent scratches if the lower section rubs it as you pry it up
-E-Brake must be pulled very high in order to slide this panel over it. The e-brake can be pulled to its highest after a short drive -but only ONCE- as it will ratchet itself back down if released and pulled again.
4. Disconnect the two electrical connectors for the windows switches, and the one connector for the power outlet (open outlet to remove connector)
5. Slide the center panel over the e-brake handle and set aside.
6. Remove the Allen screws and 1 Phillips head screw that hold on the frontal panel.
7. "Wiggle" the panel back and forth in order to pop the foam for the upper vents out of the tube it sits in.
8. remove the 3 electrical connectors on the back of the front panel (Start, and 2 heater controls) TAKE YOUR TIME, these connectors are a pain in the ass sometimes.
9. remove the front panel
10. "Pop" the outer dash off slightly. This is the remaining section of the dash which ends on the right side of the console, and continues all the way over to the speedo, tach, etc. There are 3 snaps you want to pop out, 1 on the center right (on the right of the radio) and 2 up on the top. You have to do this to get to one screw on the radio, but you do not want to take this panel off.
11. Remove the 4 Phillips screws that hold the radio.
12. Remove radio and remove the connectors attached to it.
13. Apply the Navigational antenna to the TOP of the metal radio surround, under the vents. With a flashlight, you will be able to see a flat space above the radio where it can be mounted. Position the antenna so the wire points towards the front of the car, and hangs back behind the radio. Easiest way to apply is to reach up behind where the radio was and stick it on.
14. coil up the wire for the nav antenna so it is the same length as the other radio connector. To keep it out of the way when sliding the radio in, stick the original connector though the middle of the coil.
15. Insert the nav antenna connector, the original connector, and the AM/FM radio connector, and reinstall in the reverse order.

NOTES:
-Don't be surprised if the nav reads an incorrect position and direction when you first get the setup installed.
-Nav antenna can see through glass, plastic, etc. WILL NOT see through metal.
-Sirius setup uses an additional control unit and antenna.

For iPod Install:
-Route cable through center console, drill a hole for grommet on iPod cable. Route cable under console until it comes up behind the radio. Slip the controller box in under the radio, mouth with velcro/double side tape/zip ties. 10/12 pin cable connects iPod box to radio, larger iPod connector connects to the box. The extra 10 pin connector in the dash is for Sirius (if equipped) and would be plugged into the 10-pin slot on the iPod box as well.

Hope that helped!

OP
OP
E

EvilSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fount Part of it...

RB-1 INSTALLATION

Thank You guys for your replies. I treid and tried for many hours to find a spot, but it just wasn't working for me without cutting something (the spot in the passenger footwell was close, but the box just wouldn't quite fit on my car). After a lot of reading I found someone who mentioned that the dealer installed his "somewhere behind the dash on the driver's side." A quick fitting check and I was able to put it there as well. Zero cutting and the wires included in the kit were of an almost perfect length to route along the same path as the car's original wiring (no extension needed). The same process as Dan's instructions with the added removal of 1 extra panel, but NO CUTTING required! I took a few pics along the way, and will post a couple if anyone is interested. Looks and works perfect! Thanks again guys.:)

OP
OP
E

EvilSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love pics. I've got plans to do the same thing in my '05.Whose adapter did you use?

Yep, I like the stock look, so I went with the MOPAR iPod kit and the RB1 Nav Radio. You can follow the link that Dan posted and he'll get you the same thing. Unfortunately, I am having a bit of trouble with my computer and cannot post pics right now, but I should have them up in the next few days.

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it's not just a cable? There's some kind of box along it that has to be stuffed somewhere? I wonder what the point of that is.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So it's not just a cable? There's some kind of box along it that has to be stuffed somewhere? I wonder what the point of that is.

It is a communication hub for the radio and iPod... we arent talking about an FM Modulated cable here, the radio CONTROLS the iPod.

OP
OP
E

EvilSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes there is a box. The point for me was to have no wires sitting around looking all messy while driving. The RB1 is a MOPAR Nav unit with a disc, and I love having music other than radio stations, so I wanted my iPod hooked up. After the install I plug my ipod in, drop it in the glove box, and have no wires sitting around the interior, the ipod is controlled through the RB1.