Gen 4 computer unlock!?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I think I paid right over 136k for my 10 ACR two years ago

Did you really pay $136,000.00 for an ACR?:omg:

As someone already said...throttle response is the most disappointing thing with the Gen 4. It's the only thing I miss from my Gen 3.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No offense WILLH, but if I had a dime for every time I have heard this, I could pay for a GenV....

Any specifics???

So far, all I have heard is that ProEFI is, "working on it"....:rolleyes:

If you build it, we will buy it......:dunno:

The problem is that by the time any company gets done with R&D and the wiring harness, they soon find out that they are knocking on the door of the price for a wasted spark configured Pectel system. If someone wanted to do a Gen-4 with a top level system as cheap as possible, a Pectel SQ6 is only 4K to start... but the wiring, install, and tuning is where the major expense comes from, and *ANY* system is going to have those extra expenses. The fact is, when you are looking at 8-10K for a top level system, or 7-8K for a cheap system... the cheap system doesn't look so appealing anymore when you see what you aren't getting for a small percentage of the overall cost more.

That said, there are other options coming on the horizon that are pretty decent, but they will STILL require a professional install or a complete plug-and-play package. The problem with P&P, is that as computers and engines get more advanced on these cars, the shortcomings of the factory non-shielded wiring harnesses start to rear their heads. If you like to work with clean data, the factory wiring harness can make for a decent amount of noise, and in some applications, create its own problems in the long run. This is a whole package problem, not a single dimensional simple solution.

It is unfortunate that the Gen-4's are left out in the cold on this, especially because they have some REALLY annoying programming shortfalls, but it is to be expected, at least for now, that it is not a convincing enough business case for the aftermarket, nor SRT, to hand over their proprietary coding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Dan, are you working on something affordable for us idiots who aren't satisfied with 600rwhp?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So Dan, are you working on something affordable for us idiots who aren't satisfied with 600rwhp?

In all honesty, this one is just not a good business case. The physical aspect of it is one thing, and is absolutely solvable. But I cannot imagine giving the kind of control and powerful complicated software utilized in this type of an application to 99.999% of people, especially since there is no way to give a 100% correct base map or control what the end user has access to. For example, someone would first have to learn the same kind of software used in F1/Rally, ON THEIR OWN [Good Luck]. Then, they would have full access to things like FBW parameters, and would be fully capable of making a vehicle that revs to 6K by tapping the pedal accidentally. Can you see how this would be a liability nightmare the first time someone makes a program that causes them to lose control of the car? Think "Toyota".

The only way to do this safely is case by case, car by car, no end user control... and thats why it is so pricey no matter which way you go. It is bad enough with things like SCT Pro Racer Packages, and at least they can default to OEM settings at any time. I cannot even imagine trying to support something like these high-end software types, it would be a full time job just answering questions and fixing mistakes- any tuner would lose 10x more in after sale support than they would make initially on a "budget" system.

Its just a huge multi-headed problem no matter how you look at it. The only viable solution is to combine a hardware installation, with a "base map" production, and then either a huge liability waiver and copy of the software, a tune and a lock-out of the maps, or a "class session" to jump start an end user on software. The problem is, there are barely any people that know these software types, and even fewer with base maps, and even less with experience. By doing some of the above, a tuner effectively "creates his own competition". Next thing you know, a few of the end users you just spent a week working with pop up as your competition. Ask me how I know... there are more than a few SCT tuners for Vipers who... ahem... didnt learn [or even tune] everything themselves, but you would swear they did by how they present their abilities.

Last edited:

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the mopar ecu and it's a joke!:mad:

I begged Ralph in Ny to unlock our computers and he said he would....:rolleyes: i am seriously getting fed up with this as well and will have to make a decision about the car if I can't modd it any further. ***** because I really love my car! But I hate losing races even more!
How SRT going to unlock ouer stock computer or the mopar PCM ?? Do u think they have the knowledge or the needed tools to do that??.They created this computer but I don't think they can unlock the computers for more tunning or to give more power.

Also, why some say that we, gen iv owners, can not add forced inductin to our 8.4 engines even if we are able to tune our computers??

I have some much love for my Viper but this tunning problem is driving me crazy.

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would sign it. Im maxed out on HP/Mods now. Im on the fence about going to Pro EFI, being able to tune the factory or Mopar ECU would be great.

Doooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How SRT going to unlock ouer stock computer or the mopar PCM ?? Do u think they have the knowledge or the needed tools to do that??.They created this computer but I don't think they can unlock the computers for more tunning or to give more power.

Of course they do. They have software for writing the tuning programs in each and every Viper out there, and all of the PCM's that Chrysler uses. However, to package and market this to end users, and take on the liability of doing so... is another story altogether.

Also, why some say that we, gen iv owners, can not add forced inductin to our 8.4 engines even if we are able to tune our computers??

The Gen-4 engine is a fantastic platform, but in some ways, it needs more work than previous generations in order to handle high power outputs. Its a catch-22... it is by far the best Viper platform available, but it is also by far the most expensive and difficult to deal with in those regards.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a 5k aem computer being tested as we speak.... Looks promising, but still 4k more than I want to spend :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte