Gen 4 Cracked Windsheild.

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had less then a 1000 km on the car and a crack started. At the bottom corner drivers side, were it sits on a lip. So the dealer replaced that one. Drove it home, and it cracked again in the same place. The dealer has a new windsheild ordered. But won't install it, until they know what is coursing it to crack. Which makes perfect sense to me. I had Belanger headers ,exhaust and Mopar PCM installed. It was mentioned by the dealer that it may have to much Torque now, and is twisting. :dunno: However the first crack appeared before I had the up grades.
So may question is has anyone had this happen to them. If so could you let me know what the fix is please. So I could let the dealer know.
Thank you Shaun.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad luck? let the car sit for +48h after glueing in the new windshield...or change dealership.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Torque is applied through the drivetrain and shouldn't be the direct cause of winshield cracking. I would follow the advice of having the car sit a couple of days after the winshield is installed before driving it. If the problem persists, then there is a possibility of the windshield frame or the supporting structure flexing just enough to the point where it is putting additional stress on the windshield. The winshield frame assembly, by design, is supposed to be rigid to the point where normal "twisting" of the frame doesn't affect its uniformity.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you have the windshield out again, I would check for a **** or crack in the frame where the glass is cracked with a straight edge and also make sure the installer puts a uniform depth of adhesive on the frame work before installing the glass. :D:D

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you got a booger somewhere that needs to b filed down or something of the sort

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine cracked same place before it was one year old. The guy from Safelite replaced it in my driveway. The support tab is the problem. Mine was directly on the glass. He put a small piece of rubber under it and 2 years later no problems.