Gen 4 Exhaust on Gen 3's

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have several good used Gen 4 exhausts in stock. Many find this a good changeover for the Gen 3's. You loose the crossover and gain some tone.

$400 a set.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I did this in August and it was money well spent. Exhaust note is perfect, no drone and no crossover heat. This should be a mandatory upgrade for Gen 3 owners.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a little bit of drone but the heat reduction is significant. If you have non-factory cats then the drone will be bad. For those of you that like LOUD, then it won't matter.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 and 4 mufflers are identical and have same part number I believe. I had both in hand and noticed no differences. For gen 3 cabin heat control you can pull the crossover and maintain your stock mufflers. I'm not sure of gen3 to gen 4 header differences.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the Gen 4 exhaust I put on my '06.
You must be registered for see images

...and a pic of a Gen 3 exhaust posted by another member
You must be registered for see images

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the reason the crossovers were added to the gen 3 exhaust by dodge was for sound control. By design, maybe it's the cam, the gen3 motor is louder so crossover is a cheap ineficient method of sound control that creates much cabin heat. Go figure. If you take the gen 3 crosssover out and install the gen 4 mufflers tips... That's a factory gen 4 exhaust. I think.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
dipapa has it right, if you take the Gen 3 crossover out and install the Gen 4 muffler tips, you have a factory Gen 4 exhaust.

I have this system, the Gen 3 / 4 mufflers and exhaust tips behind Belanger headers and high flow cats on my 06 coupe. There is very little if any drone at cruise (much better than the smaller Magnaflows behind the Belanger headers).

Sound at idle is moderate, a bit more lumpy sounding (which is good) and it's pretty aggressive at WOT. A very good, inexpensive compromise "soundwise" that picks up a few extra ponies too!

Good mod.

Dan

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback to the post. For those who PM'd, please call and I will answer all your questions. I sold a couple systems today, I am sure we will see some feedback.

After a little research, I have found that the G3 and G4 mufflers do indeed differ slightly. The G4 muffler has double clamps to keep it from rotating and the internal baffling of the muffler is revised.
You can change just the tips from the G4 and loose the crossover or change the whole system. Odds are the whole system makes a little less noise than changing the tips.

I have several systems and tips remaining.

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So what is the main difference between the Corsa and the Gen4 exhaust? I bought a Gen3 that I will be picking up this weekend and I know I'll need the crossover exhaust switched out ASAP because of the heat (I live in Florida, it's still hot here) :)

Shawn

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, PM sent the other day....don't know if you got it or not

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan is 100% right on this, as I did it on my 04 and it definitely sounds better, plus less heat for sure in the Summer, when it is noticeable.

Inexpensive upgrade if one just wants a slightly better tone and something easy to install.

:2tu:

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have access to just the tips as that would make this a straight forward affair for me in the garage.

Aftermarket tips look dead easy to fab up. Slip joint and a quick bend. Then out for chrome or polish. Heck make the ends titanium so they heat scorch. Would not even need to remove the pipes so realignment is a non issue.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done it both ways in my garage, swapping the gen III/IV mufflers. I could not tell any difference with the sound, fit, or performance. Visually - only difference is the number of clamps on the inlet side of the muffler as Dan mentioned. What's the entire difference between the Gen III and IV exhaust? I asked that question in the last SRT Engineer forum - take a look. The main difference in sound was from the cam setup. The only other difference was the air gap headers.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Lou Belanger will make tips for this system if you'd like, 2.5 inches or 3 inches.

On the mufflers, the part number is the same for Gen III and Gen IV.

The Gen IV do have two clamps vs the Gen III's one clamp - easy enough to add one clamp per side.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi