Gen 4 Exhaust On My Gen 3

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fellow VCA member dropped off a Gen 4 Cat back that I have just installed on my Gen 3. The Gen4 deff has a deeper tone and is a touch louder. A lift would deff make this project easier but I just had the car on stands. Yes I do still have the stock cats on the car, yes all 4. Eventually I would like them gone. I have heard of some people gutting the rear cats. How are they doing this? And will it throw a code? Sooner or later I would deff like to go LOUDER. I like to here the engine and drone doesnt bother me or the wife. But This was a VERY EASY project for someone looking for a lil more throatyness out of their gen 3 while working on a budget.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From looking at my midpipes on the Gen 4, the rear O2 is after the primary cat but before the secondary cat, so gutting or deleting the second cat should have no effect and you won't throw a code.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use what ever you can find to break it up just make sure to get it all out

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled all cats on my Gen 4 and used a strait pipe to the mufflers. It hasn't thrown a CEL yet but I know it will. I will be purchasing the Mopar perfomance ECU soon anyways and I am told that will turn that off.

By pulling all cats I seemed to cut about 18lbs or so off the car as well. Here is a video of the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUrU1rKp1J4&list=HL1356906388

-Tim

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drone doesnt bother the wife or me. We had a 69 Road Runner that the wife refused to ride in unless it was "Uncapped" at the headers. That had somne serious drone, but that it what the stereo was for LOL.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TORQUE, I have done exactly this to my 03, replaceing the old system with an 08. It was as easy as you have stated and to gut the secondary cat, just remove it and hollow it out. I used an electric jack hammer. It took about 20 to 30 minutes for each side. I read a thread in here on how someone used a tire iron and a hammmer. I started there, but it would realistically take you all day to do it that way. The sound is louder but not too loud, again sound is preferential so to each his own. You can hold a conversation and I dont notice drone if that helps. Oh ya, I have never thrown a code as well.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 09 Gen 4 I removed the stock muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe, kept the stock cats, very nice sound, low and no drone. Cheap also. It
would be interesting to try this with a Gen 3 but my current one has full Belanger system, very loud and drone at cruise, sounds great at idle with the
heads and cam upgrade but I need to tame it a bit. Going to try a stock muffler to start.

Herc

Last edited: