gen 4 filter intake issue

Discussion in 'SRT Engineering Q/A Area' started by mikerae, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mikerae

mikerae Enthusiast

i was at my dealer the other day and was told that there is issues with the KN replacement filter in a stock 2010viper, they said that they had issues and they were not sealing properly and dirt was getting in, any idea on this issue.

2. BlknBlu

BlknBlu Viper Owner

no, but the factory filter breathes better than the K&N.

Bruce

3. Steve M

Steve M Viper Owner

For many applications (at least the ones I've seen), the K&N filters come with a gasket that must be used to help them seal to the factory air box. I wouldn't really trust one on a Gen IV anyway since they use a MAF sensor...if the oil from the filter gets on the wires, it can cause issues.

4. mikerae

mikerae Enthusiast

the filter has the gasket attached, really better flo with the stock paper filter !! where are the wires you speak of.

5. MI Viper

MI Viper Viper Owner

I put a K+N P/N: 33-2432 in my car 09 SRT-10 Vert' about 400 miles ago, (Called and Talked with K+N Engineering before I bought) and have had 0 issues. Heard about K+N throwing codes and other issues, hence the call to K+N before I bought and installed. Installed with no problems, and seal looks fine. In fact I run K+N on all my Hi-perf. motors, (06 Power stroke, Twin Mercury Racing 600SCI Blower motors in our Big boat, and now the Snake). Just thought I'd post my personal experience. If something changes, Codes or lights, I will update this thread.
    Merry X-mas everyone

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  6. thebigjones

thebigjones Viper Owner

No issues with the K&N panel filter on my 2008 SRT-10 Coupe. In fact, I've never had a check engine issue with a K&N system or filter, and I've had several applications.