Gen I center console repair question... HELP PLEASE!

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ashtray on my Gen I keeps popping out. It appears that the clip holding the tray in has broken. I found the broken clip yesterday and it appears to have been plastic welded originally. I have never had to take the center bezel apart. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this as well and any gluing or repair procedures that may work? I know that gluing this type of plastic can be tricky if not impossible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking the center bezel out : there's no screws or anything. There's 4 kind of pins which are pushed into the carbon fiber material behind the bezel. Just take a small screwdriver or something that allows you to go behind the bezel and slowly lift it up. A good place to start would be at the sides, just below the airco controls. From what I remember that's where 2 of those pins are. The first time I did it I was also nervous. Now I remove it in 15 seconds :)

As far as repairing it : use super glue where ever you got a crack and then repaint (primer + top coat of matted black). You could top it off with an aftermarket ash tray or aluminum center console.

This is what I did to my Gen 1 :

3989DSC00014.JPG

OP
OP
T

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got the center console out and glued the clip using NAPA's Plastic Welding System. Seems to have done the trick.

Thanks Yves!

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yves....thanks for the tip. I'm about to pull mine out too to replace my dash and I was wondering how to do it.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The airco controls and short throw are MGW
The center console is Zero Altitude Flight.
Both of these suppliers are extremely professional to deal with.
You can find their contact information in the "marketplace" section of this website.

3989Viper_Interior_Project0030.JPG