Gen I Dash Vendor?

Gearhead Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New to the forum...Anyone know if there is a vendor out there for the Gen I dash? Want to keep the fuzzy look but mine is scratched and has some smudges that will only get fixed with a replacement. Does anyone recondition/remanufacture these or are we left with "new" leftovers?

Saw one in the classified that just sold, any other sources?

thanks

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can find a new leftover, and you probably won't, you will not like the price. Remove and refinish is the way to go. Most go to flat black which make the interior look much better, but you can go back to grey paint if you want. Why anyone would want another fuzzy grey is beyond me, I went that route the first replacement and the second one looked like crap within 5,000 miles. The grey color on the dash does not match any of the other grey in the interior. The flat black dash gives a nice sweep from the tops of the doors clear across the dash. The car should have come out that way originally.

Attachments

• 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
G

Gearhead Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does that do to resale value in terms of collectability? with only 3,500 on my odometer id like to maintain the car as stock but the scratches and dirty prints on the fuzzy dash look terrible. down the road do you think the fuzzy dash will be an item that is desireable?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do think that down the road "originality" will be important. The cars with the converted black dashes look great...but will be put back to original when the time comes that originality matters.

All that being said....I am researching a new way of doing the fuzzy paint. I need to spray a sample and am waiting on information on the product. It is supposed to be the rubbery feel like my 96 RT dash is. I don;t remember how my former '94 dash was...but I had the car long before the dashes started going bad.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does that do to resale value in terms of collectability? with only 3,500 on my odometer id like to maintain the car as stock but the scratches and dirty prints on the fuzzy dash look terrible. down the road do you think the fuzzy dash will be an item that is desireable?

Buy a different dash (used) and paint it and put it on. Store your original in the box the other one came in. If you sell the car you will have both dashes. If the person who buys it does not care, then you can sell one of them. That is exactly what I did and I got my money out of the dash I bought. Try X2-Builders or Jon B at Parts Rack. I got mine from X2-Builders as I think Jon did not have one at the time, but he may now. Both have websites.

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just refinished the fuzzy gray dash, center console and door handle surrounds on my 95 RT. Added chrome gaugle bezels and kept the gauge surround colr black. It looks great. Call Jon B at partsrack for support with refinihing the dash (original urethane paint etc.)

I like the original stock look. Some of the interior refinish jobs look gaudy.

Take the time to do the job right.

Search the VCA forums for the word 'fuzzy' and you will find a lot of info/tips on interior refinishing.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just refinished the fuzzy gray dash, center console and door handle surrounds on my 95 RT. Added chrome gaugle bezels and kept the gauge surround colr black. It looks great. Call Jon B at partsrack for support with refinihing the dash (original urethane paint etc.)

I like the original stock look. Some of the interior refinish jobs look gaudy.

Take the time to do the job right.

Search the VCA forums for the word 'fuzzy' and you will find a lot of info/tips on interior refinishing.

I actually did search and there are only topics about people not finding the fuzzy paint. I would really like to find a paint which looks at least a bit like the original fuzzy paint...

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the original urethane (fuzzy) paint from Jon B. at Partsrack or form carpaintonline (Paul will mix it) - it looks perfect

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guessin' the original owner of a 'new' gen 1 dash is waitin' to make a killing... wonder where they are?

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can find a new leftover, and you probably won't, you will not like the price. Remove and refinish is the way to go. Most go to flat black which make the interior look much better, but you can go back to grey paint if you want. Why anyone would want another fuzzy grey is beyond me, I went that route the first replacement and the second one looked like crap within 5,000 miles. The grey color on the dash does not match any of the other grey in the interior. The flat black dash gives a nice sweep from the tops of the doors clear across the dash. The car should have come out that way originally.

+1 (that fuzzy look "looks ********" and so out-dated" but if all you care about is originality than go for it, it's what you like for what ever reason you like it, some fuzzy dice will look great with it as well...

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ I knew there were a few out there.
I'm happy with my refinished dash but I'm sure you'll appreciate that 'unmolested' original one day (somebody certainly will..)!

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually ended up finding a new GEN 1 dash for my old 95, but decided to experiment with the old one with the "fingernail marks". YOu will need easy-off oven cleaner. this is what you will use to get all the OLD fuzzy paint off. once its off i woudl just wash it really good with some dish soap and make sure its very dry and free of lint/dust etc. then you are ready to paint! Good luck.