Gen I vs Gen II vs Vette

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster...

My quest for "the viper" is starting to heat-up and I'd like a little input:

I'm trying to decide between a new C5 (I know I shouldn't even say this but its true), a gen I viper, and a gen II viper. To be honest, 01 and 02 vipers are about as much as I want to spend, but I would really like to keep the cost down to afford other luxuries. That's why I'm considering the other two. I'm driving a C5 tomorrow to see if I even like the car (if I'm not amazed the vette is out). My problem with the gen I's is I'm afraid of buying the car and then needing to put a lot of money into it. If that's the case, I'd rather just fork it over now for an 01 or 02 with a warrantee. I know about the head gasket issue, but are there any other problems or tendencies that raise the risk with gen I's? I'm willing to take a calculated risk to save money now but I want to make sure I'm properly educated first. I live in Cherokee County Georgia, so the car will need to be smogged, should this be a concern with a stock viper? I figure the smog this might be as easy as a quick bribe to the tester?

The car will not be a daily driver, I have other cars for that, it will be an evening and weekend toy...

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a 99 viper. I toyed around with the idea and got a C5 then turned around 6 months later and got an 01 viper.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I was looking at the 01's and 2's is there doesn't seem to be much of a price break by going back to 98, 99, or 00 and you get an older car with frame issues that sometimes doesn't have a warrantee. Have I just not looked hard enough at the 98-00 vipers? Am I right in placing significant weight on having a warrantee with the gen II cars?

Thanks for the input...

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going to buy a C5 at least go for the '02+ Z06 (405hp). The Gen I are nice cars, but don't have windows, otional A/C and to some people's opinions have a "Kit Car" type feel to them. Drive all three and decide. :2tu:

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an 01 because of the Color and ABS. At the time I didnt kow about the piston difference and mine is pretty modded. I wish I would have bought a 99 for the stronger pistons. Too late now, I have new pistons. I guess it depends if you are going to run a blower or Nitrous and what color you want.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sapphire: I too would like the ABS but its not a major issue. I tend to keep things stock, so I'm not worried about the pistons. The car won't be a race car either, I'll continue to use motorcycles to thrill me on the track. I'm just looking for an awesome car to cruise with the wife and enjoy some georgia back roads.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going to buy a C5 at least go for the '02+ Z06 (405hp). The Gen I are nice cars, but don't have windows, otional A/C and to some people's opinions have a "Kit Car" type feel to them. Drive all three and decide. :2tu:

Most Gen I's have a/c. The window comment is true, but the VMania windows are a good improvement. The buildable soft top is about the same for all years of Gen I and II, which makes the windows less of an issue. Regarding Gen I's being more kit car like I would disgree. For most apsects the Gen I and II are very similar. The Gen I is more edgy at its limit with original equipment tires but with later Pilots is much closer (though all Gen I and II are unkind as you approach the limit). Performance is also not dramatically different, especially if the Gen I has smooth tubes and exhaust mods. Both were more restrictive than the Gen II counterparts.

Any way you go is okay. There are no bad choices when it comes to sports cars. It is only the degree of fun that differs.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C5 is a Great Car ..But I reccomend that you buy a Gen II instead.

You'll get bored with the C5 and end up wanting a Viper..So why not do it now !

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coming from the C5 world, I have to agree that you will eventually become bored with seeing yourself coming and going on the freeways all the time. The viper is just a different breed.
I got a 98 RT because it had everything I really wanted in a Viper, including the color (silver) and some nice mods already in place. It is a true beast, something I could not say about my C5.
C5 is now for sale. :2tu:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I WAS ALL FOR TELLING YOU THE VIPER IS THE ONLY
WAY TO GO, GEN II OF COURSE 01-02, UNTIL YOU
STATED WHAT YOU WANT THE CAR FOR. GOING ON BACK
ROADS, NICE ROADS I ASSUME, IT WOULD BE GREAT
FOR. HOWEVER IF ITS A CAR FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE
TO JUST GO RIDING IN I PERSONALLY CANT RECCOMEND
IT. MY MAIN REASON FOR THIS IS THE HEAT INSIDE
THE CAR, I MEAN HOT HOT HOT!!!!! YES YOU CAN TURN
ON THE AC AND THAT HELPS BUT IN THE SUMMER WHEN
YOU MOST LIKELY WILL DRIVE IT MORE IT STILL GETS
HOT. JUST ASK SOME OF THE OTHER GUYS HERE I AM
SURE THEY WILL SAY THE SAME ABOUT THE HEAT. THE
VIPERS COCKPIT IS A FRICKEN OVEN SET TO BROIL!!!!
I HAVE OWED 4 CORVETTE'S PRYOR TO BUYING MY VIPER,
THEY ALL WERE GREAT CARS. I HAD A CORVETTE SINCE
I WAS 17 YEARS OLD, BOUGHT MY FIRST ONE WHEN I
WAS A SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL A BLACK 1977, STICKER
$10,900, BRAND NEW. MY LAST CORVETTE WAS A C4, 1996
COLLECTOR EDITION, CONVERTABLE, 6 SPEED, LT4, LET
ME TELL YA THAT WAS A SWEAT CAR. THE C5,LOTS OF GOOD
THINGS HAVE BEEN WRITTEN AND SAID ABOUT THEM. THE
CORVETTE HAS MORE CREATURE COMFORTS THEN THE VIPER.
THE VIPER WELL ITS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN, NO OTHER
CAR REALLY COMPARES TO IT. IT IS REALLY A RACE CAR
THAT IS STREET LEGAL.

OK HERE IT IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOP 10 REASONS WHY NOT TO BUY A VIPER

10) YOU DONT LIKE TO SMILE

9) YOUR SHY

8) YOU WANT A AUTOMATIC

7) YOU DONT LIKE CROWDS

6) YOU HAVE A PERFECT DRIVING RECORD

5) YOUR IDEA OF WASHING A CAR IS THE
DRIVE THRU CARWASH

4) YOU DONT HAVE A GARAGE

3) YOU TAKE ALL YOUR CARS TO JIFFY LUBE
FOR OIL CHANGES, REGARDLESS

2) YOU CANT TAKE OTHER MENS WIVES FOR
JOY RIDES ANYMORE

1) YOU ALWAYS DRIVE IN THE SLOW LANE

WELL I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND BY THE WAY

GO AHEAD BUY THE VIPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
snamppro, Make sure you drive a Viper too, or at least hook up with one of our Atlanta Viper guys and go for a ride. I promise you.....the Viper is the way to go. Hell, come up to Ringgold and we can go riding. You will get used to the thumbs up......people wanting to talk to you........kids screaming out bus windows........or you could get a Vette and not have to worry about these things. The wife has had a 84, 94, 98 Vette....she will never go back.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, all good points. Let me clarify the "drives with the wife" portion. I'm a motorcycle guy and I don't like riding with a passenger, so I leave my poor wife home. I want this car to be my two seat motorcycle. I'm aware of the creature comfort differences between the vette and the viper, I just don't want to get a car I can't enjoy or a car that's to boring. I'm used to getting attention (although not as much as a viper gets) from motorcycles, and I love that part.

Tony: I'm hoping I can get someone from the board to give me a quick ride in a viper. I know there are quite a few guys in my area that might be willing to save a guy from the corvette world? Anyone for a charity case?

Has anyone ever dealt with Texas Toys? I found an awesome 2000 GTS there...

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know if you're ever up in NJ, I'll take ya out for a quick rip...

That C5 wont be an option any longer :2tu:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I WAS ALL FOR TELLING YOU THE VIPER IS THE ONLY
WAY TO GO, GEN II OF COURSE 01-02, UNTIL YOU
STATED WHAT YOU WANT THE CAR FOR. GOING ON BACK
ROADS, NICE ROADS I ASSUME, IT WOULD BE GREAT
FOR. HOWEVER IF ITS A CAR FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE
TO JUST GO RIDING IN I PERSONALLY CANT RECCOMEND
IT. MY MAIN REASON FOR THIS IS THE HEAT INSIDE
THE CAR, I MEAN HOT HOT HOT!!!!! YES YOU CAN TURN
ON THE AC AND THAT HELPS BUT IN THE SUMMER WHEN
YOU MOST LIKELY WILL DRIVE IT MORE IT STILL GETS
HOT. JUST ASK SOME OF THE OTHER GUYS HERE I AM
SURE THEY WILL SAY THE SAME ABOUT THE HEAT. THE
VIPERS COCKPIT IS A FRICKEN OVEN SET TO BROIL!!!!
I HAVE OWED 4 CORVETTE'S PRYOR TO BUYING MY VIPER,
THEY ALL WERE GREAT CARS. I HAD A CORVETTE SINCE
I WAS 17 YEARS OLD, BOUGHT MY FIRST ONE WHEN I
WAS A SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL A BLACK 1977, STICKER
$10,900, BRAND NEW. MY LAST CORVETTE WAS A C4, 1996
COLLECTOR EDITION, CONVERTABLE, 6 SPEED, LT4, LET
ME TELL YA THAT WAS A SWEAT CAR. THE C5,LOTS OF GOOD
THINGS HAVE BEEN WRITTEN AND SAID ABOUT THEM. THE
CORVETTE HAS MORE CREATURE COMFORTS THEN THE VIPER.
THE VIPER WELL ITS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN, NO OTHER
CAR REALLY COMPARES TO IT. IT IS REALLY A RACE CAR
THAT IS STREET LEGAL.

OK HERE IT IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOP 10 REASONS WHY NOT TO BUY A VIPER

10) YOU DONT LIKE TO SMILE

9) YOUR SHY

8) YOU WANT A AUTOMATIC

7) YOU DONT LIKE CROWDS

6) YOU HAVE A PERFECT DRIVING RECORD

5) YOUR IDEA OF WASHING A CAR IS THE
DRIVE THRU CARWASH

4) YOU DONT HAVE A GARAGE

3) YOU TAKE ALL YOUR CARS TO JIFFY LUBE
FOR OIL CHANGES, REGARDLESS

2) YOU CANT TAKE OTHER MENS WIVES FOR
JOY RIDES ANYMORE

1) YOU ALWAYS DRIVE IN THE SLOW LANE

WELL I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND BY THE WAY

GO AHEAD BUY THE VIPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice write-up. Now quit typing with your caps lock on!!!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a couple c4's & 2 C5's before the viper. NO comparison, the viper is sooo much more fun than my vettes. I see so many vettes on the road now & very few Vipers. Be different, Come to the Dark Side!

My .02
Andy

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm aware of the creature comfort differences between the vette and the viper, I just don't want to get a car I can't enjoy or a car that's to boring. I'm used to getting attention (although not as much as a viper gets) from motorcycles, and I love that part.

snampro,

I was in the same position as you a few years ago, Vette or Viper. Well, I went to the dark side and never looked back. :cool: Drive a Viper and you'll know what we're all talking about. The power and handling will keep a perpetual smile on your face causing sore facial muscles. As far as attention goes, I used to own a custom Harley and that ride got lots of attention and thumbs up. Once I got the Viper, I was elevated to a whole new level of "bling bling." Crowds gather around the car in parking lots, people pose by it to have their pictures taken, kids gaze at it like it was a pro athelete, people drive like maniacs to get close to you, ricers are always trying to egg you on, etc.....

My favorite (after the blue and white of course) is the 2001 GTS Sapphire with Silver stripes. Great color combo and ABS. I'd leave it stock except smooth tubes, K&N's, High flow cats and a catback system.

Now that you've made your decision, post pics when you get it! :2tu:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper is much more engaging to drive than the vette (I have both...the ZO6 is the daily driver). Every once in a while I doze off behind the wheel when I'm in the vette...can't do this in the viper (jk but you get my point). If you like to participate as much as possible in the act of driving and also want a cool looking ride, the viper is the way to go. JMHO.

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion you can't go wrong with either. I have always loved Corvettes since I was a young boy when my Dad brought his first home. They're excellent all around cars. That being said, the Viper goes a few steps beyond the Corvette in everything but comfort. The styling is so outrageous I can't help but smile everytime I look at my car. None of my Corvettes ever gave me that feeling. While my Gen 1 doesn't have the horsepower my supercharged C5 did, it makes up for it with "crush you in your seat" torque that V8's have a hard time doing. The Gen 2's have it all. I'm totally satisfied with my '95 but in a way I wish I would've shopped around a little more for a Gen 2, but at least I won't have to worry about taking a huge hit in a year or two if I decide to sell it. The same kind of huge hit that I took when I sold all three of my Corvettes. My advice would be to drive both and don't underestimate the C5. They're a hell of a car. But I think once you drive a Viper, your mind will be made up with 100% certainty.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about spending lots of money on repairs should you buy a gen1. The head gaskets are the only thing I can think of and you should easily find a nice gen1 that has the new ones.

Since you mentioned wanting to have some money for other things, I'd like to point out that you could get a very nice, low miles, gen1 and save $25,000 over the newer cars you mentioned.

All R/Ts look about the same. They look exactly the same to non viper people.

$25,000 saved and you still own a brand new looking Viper.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a 2 seater motorcycle... then get a gen 1. If you can find a well mantained car with reasonable mileage, then you should be good. Watch out for low mileage garage queen(ies). My car has 50,000 miles but... it always has fresh fluids,plugs, wires, tires, etc. Plus Roe's got the charger kit now to keep the gen 2 fellows guessing.

JoeD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GenI vs Gen II vs Vette

Snampro :2tu: Simply Awesome Machine! I've had my 96GTS since Nov, have already pressed over 2500 miles. You're welcome to cruise with and test drive mine (Lawrenceville). [email protected]

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in your same shoes 2 years ago (wow..time flies!). The C5 is a great car, no doubts. It's comfortable, it's smooth, it has nice electronic features. It's a true daily driver with a ~4.6sec 0-60 time.

The Viper, is 100% different. Let's start with the Gen1.
The Gen1 is by far the purists ride. It's the embodiment of what the Shelby Cobra was for the 60's. It's a no-frills car with a bigass engine :) You have no windows, no AC (on early cars), no fancy italian stiching on the dash, no airbags. Things like traction control and ABS were no where to be found. What you got was one hellova open-air experience (even with the top on..it's still open air hehe). The side-pipe Gen1's are loud, and hot... and tons of fun. For the money, you get an instantly-recognizable american icon, with a loud exhaust (sounds different than anything you're used too) and 335mm wide pavement pounding tires on the back.

After the first few years of production, dodge begin adding little things to the Viper. AC, for example, became much more common place (although it doesn't work well). In 1995, the RT/10 became the last of the "pure-blood" Gen1. For 96, the RT/10 underwent a metomorphesis, as the same year, the GTS coupe was introduced. The RT/10 in 96 was a hybrid...it was part Gen1 (dash, no windows, no airbags) and part gen2 (suspension, hood -although not cut). It's a good mix between the two... old school minimalist with better suspension and design.

The GTS is a COMPLETELY different car. It's more powerful, smoother, faster, and more "complete" feeling that it's older brothers. It by far is king of the street in terms of almost no chassis flex and unadulterated power.

What you will find when driving a viper vs. the vette is the feelings are way different. The vette is smoother, less communication to you in the cockpit. It's quick, but doesn't provide the neck-snappin' rush that comes with the viper. Viper is much more raw. You can hear wind noise, you can feel vibration in the pedels. You know in the back of your mind that if you push this car too far, it can (and will) hurt you.

Drive them both, and see which one you pefer. To me, the Viper is one of the meanest SOBs ever to be created for the street.

MM

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in your same shoes 2 years ago (wow..time flies!). The C5 is a great car, no doubts. It's comfortable, it's smooth, it has nice electronic features. It's a true daily driver with a ~4.6sec 0-60 time.

The Viper, is 100% different. Let's start with the Gen1.
The Gen1 is by far the purists ride. It's the embodiment of what the Shelby Cobra was for the 60's. It's a no-frills car with a bigass engine :) You have no windows, no AC (on early cars), no fancy italian stiching on the dash, no airbags. Things like traction control and ABS were no where to be found. What you got was one hellova open-air experience (even with the top on..it's still open air hehe). The side-pipe Gen1's are loud, and hot... and tons of fun. For the money, you get an instantly-recognizable american icon, with a loud exhaust (sounds different than anything you're used too) and 335mm wide pavement pounding tires on the back.

After the first few years of production, dodge begin adding little things to the Viper. AC, for example, became much more common place (although it doesn't work well). In 1995, the RT/10 became the last of the "pure-blood" Gen1. For 96, the RT/10 underwent a metomorphesis, as the same year, the GTS coupe was introduced. The RT/10 in 96 was a hybrid...it was part Gen1 (dash, no windows, no airbags) and part gen2 (suspension, hood -although not cut). It's a good mix between the two... old school minimalist with better suspension and design.

The GTS is a COMPLETELY different car. It's more powerful, smoother, faster, and more "complete" feeling that it's older brothers. It by far is king of the street in terms of almost no chassis flex and unadulterated power.

What you will find when driving a viper vs. the vette is the feelings are way different. The vette is smoother, less communication to you in the cockpit. It's quick, but doesn't provide the neck-snappin' rush that comes with the viper. Viper is much more raw. You can hear wind noise, you can feel vibration in the pedels. You know in the back of your mind that if you push this car too far, it can (and will) hurt you.

Drive them both, and see which one you pefer. To me, the Viper is one of the meanest SOBs ever to be created for the street.

MM

MAdMAxx...Your post is absoultely one of the BEST That I have ever read!!! Priceless!!!!

You could write a novel!

Best, Dave :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

tealviper94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the same thing, test drove a C5 coupe a JAG XKR and a BMW Z3 M series, Prowler and a Porche 930. Each of these had there own special presence. The Porchhe 930 had 750 HP and scared me a little. I wasn't use to the way porches handle. So I decided No on that one. The C5 was great! But then two people at work bought them and I did not want to seem like a copy cat and looking around there are a lot of these car in the area. The prowler didn't have the space for my laptop bag. So no that one. The Z3 BMW M series was nice. handled good acceleration was OK. But then my brother teased me saying it was a chick's car. OK I'm not a chick! So then I test drove a viper ( Gen1) 1994 and feel in love. The look, the feel, the rumble in the seat and hearing that side exhuast. WOW!!!! Always remeber! Be a leader and not a sheep. Anyone can drive a mass produced car. It is the few that set the standard.
Good luck on your quest and I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a great little thread. I am glad that we archive these as similar helped me make my decision last year. I have owned a 930 Ruf Porsche, C5, Boxster S and a few other great cars.

I laid my latest move on a 96RT (read Gen 1.5). I won't repeat a lot of what Wanted, Teal and Max said because it reads like my own progression.

I could have spent a lot more money on a newer snake and probably will one day. But, for a total cash outlay of $40k my Viper is a category killer that can only be compared to our fellow owners. There is no mistaking the smile from the 10 year old in the mini-van as you pass by nor the shark like grin on my face when I excercise my right calf.

Any way you slice it, you are talking about world class performance cars. The Viper's character is designed for the kid who put his hands in the air at the top of the roller coaster.

If you were that kid: this is your car.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Corvette convertible before and I thought that it was a great car.
But as it has been mentioned, the Viper is simply a different animal.
The added torque of the big V10 allows it to pull effortlessly from low revs, and the Viper has a celebrity status.
And you are reminded every time that you drive the Viper (or park it), that it is a truly unique and coveted car.

As far as the heat issue goes, you can either swap out the stock cats for high flow units, or remove them altogether (in less smog stringent states) and it will cut the cabin heat in half. I added high-flow cats and cabin/sill heat has never been an issue for me since.

I like the Gen I models, but I really wanted a Gen II Viper for all of the refinements that were done to the Viper over the years.

Most Vipers have low miles on them (and are built tough) so reliability shouldn't be an issue. Good reliability was one of the reasons that I bought the Viper, because I wanted a very special and very fast car that I could drive every day and not worry about mileage and costly maintenance like a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
My only operating costs were from mods plus regular maintenance, and my Viper has worked flawlessly for me for two years of daily driving enjoyment. :2tu:

-Dean.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also a motorcyclist. My latest bike was a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3, and before that a sucession of 929s, R-1s, Duc 900 SS, and so on. NO CAR will approximate the speed from a stop to 60 that your motorcycles will. NO CAR will require the amount of attention and risk that you feel on a motorcycle. I too, did not take passengers on my motorcycles.

I've also leased a 99 Corvette C5 for a few years, which is a truly wonderful car, and if it was going to be a "daily driver" decision, I would recommend the Vette.

I also test drove the 04 Z06 Vette the day before purchasing my 96 Gen 1.5 RT/10. And since buying that was offered a terrific deal moving from my 96 to the far more civilized, better braking 2003 SRT.

I've decided to stay with my '96 RT/10 for the following reasons:

1. If you like the involvement required to ride a motorcycle well, I can't imagine any car that will require more driver involvement than the Gen 1 (and I like the 96 for the better suspension, while still maintaining the ********* removable top and removable windows, offset seating, close pedals, and so on) Viper. The Vette allows you to access high performance with ease. It also corrects your mistakes. It will even put your instruments on the windshield (heads up display) so you don't have to look down. This is terrific, but not as INVOLVING.

2. You can ALWAYS buy a car that has power windows, a working top, and a good interior ergonomic layout. When I get older (I'm 53 now), I'll either move to an 03 SRT, or a modern Ferrari, or something like that. But for now, there is a chance to drive a rude, crude, muscle car, that rips wind through the cockpit, makes you watch the sky for clouds knowing that the top and windows are in the garage, forces you to handwash the car, and puts a grin on your face just looking at it.

3. This is just me talking, but there is something more "authentic" feeling about the Gen 1s, although I don't miss the side pipes (my sills are warm enough thank you) because I think the V-10 sound is better from the rear than hearing 5 cylinders at your left ear. And the 96 has the aluminum rear suspension, which seems better. Yes there was a frame recall, which I suspect was overkill, unless you intend to race it, but they've mostly been done (see the metal plates under the front of the car that have been added, or run it through the Dodge site for outstanding recalls).

For a motorcyclist, the price of admission in skills, involvement, and consistent attention, is more similar in a Gen 1 Viper than in anything else I've ever driven.

I've even side stepped a killer deal to move to an '03. These cars become addictive, in my opinion.

Larry
96 RT/10 Black with Silver Stripes.
Automotion Hardtop.
Air conditioning.
Otherwise stock at 9400 miles.