Gen II Gas Economy ??? WOW

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kind of gas milleage should I be getting out of a full tank of fuel. It seems my gas consumption really *****. I put $30 bucks in and got around 65 miles....That can't be good. Is there a way to see if the car is running right ? ie too rich, etc.
I have changed the oil, filters, exhaust,use top grade gas.

any thoughts ??????

Dave

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should get over 20mpg in 6th gear on the highway. In town depends on how leaded your right foot is. I have 3:73 gears and get 23mpg at 75mph and 3.5mpg on the track.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Detlef I have your twin in color and gas mileage here in KC.
Dave you might change plugs/wires if its been a while.My car runs a little rich but not that rich!
I know some of the years had fuel gauge problems,how many gallons on the refill?
If nothing there I would have it looked at.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say 6-7 is low, unless your driving very aggressively on the street. First off, I know the gauge in my 01 is not accurate as far as strict reading is, so I always guage my mileage off the odometer (I'm sure you are too). I'm getting around 13-15 in town, depending on how hard I'm pushing my right foot, and can get 20-22 on the highway in 6th. I'd remove a couple of spark plugs and see what they look like.[/B]

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Paxton supercharged Corsa exhausted 2000 ACR that I just got 19.6 mpg (US) driving 3,000miles back from Phoenix, AZ. My 2001 Roe supercharged GTS got 19.8mpg (US) travelling the 6,000 miles to Detroit and back. The Paxton car goes down to 18.4mpg at 90mph while the Roe car gets 19.8 even at 90mpg. My 98 Roe supercharged 98 GTS got 20mpg (us).

When driving/cruising your ECU adjusts fuel/air mixture to the optimium 14.7 to 1. If your af doesn't run that, then you probably need new 02 sensors. If you've removed the Catylitic convertors perhaps the rear sensors are dumping fuel into the engine to "save" the Cats?

I get about 300+ miles to a tank of fuel on the highway.

Ted

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get 17-18 hwy when conservative. 700hp-ish w/3.73 gear. Roughly 275 miles per tank. I know some stock Gen2's getting 24-25 mpg hwy. We'll see what happens when I get the 3.33 put in.:2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is ameture night to say i got *** miles out of and estimated *** dollars of gas. The cost of the fuel has Nothing to do wuth your gas mileage, and you dont know exactly how much fuel was consumed in your 65 mile trip. And a 65mile trip is not enough data to accurately calculate your gas mileage

FYI, to check your gas mileage:

1. Fill up tank, Zero your Odometer Trip
2. Drive untill tank gets down to 1/8th-1/4
3. Fill up tank. Record how much gas you put in. Record the miles on your Trip.
4. Divide those two numbers:
MILES / GALLONS = MILES PER GALLON:2tu:

I get around 19 on long 5/6th gear trips(cant seem to break 20...),
and around 12-15 with mixed city/hwy agressive driving.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in general that is my opinion too, but in this situation, the OP is concerned that his gas mileage that may or may not be much lower than normal could possibly be a side effect of his motor not running right. Step one is to get an accuate gas mileage calc. It certaintly dosnt hurt to check this everyonceinawhile in all your vehicles. If any of them were getting half the gasmileage of what you would expect then surely that would raise a flag.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way to see if the car is running right ? ie too rich, etc.

How many miles on her? Have you looked at the spark plugs?

You can put her on a dyno to make sure your motor is making ideal power. Most dyno's hook up an 02 sensor to plot your air/fuel ratio along with your power curve. You air/fuel ratio is what tells you if you are to lean or rich.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an 8.0l V10 that is moving not only a 3300lb car but a heavy drive train (IRS takes quite a bit of power to move opposed to live axle). This car gets about the same MPG as my 800rwhp Trans Am did, just part of it I guess. I get about 15mpg in this car on average, although that is with the Hoosiers at 24psi for somewhat straighline traction.

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is ameture night to say i got *** miles out of and estimated *** dollars of gas. The cost of the fuel has Nothing to do wuth your gas mileage, and you dont know exactly how much fuel was consumed in your 65 mile trip. And a 65mile trip is not enough data to accurately calculate your gas mileage

FYI, to check your gas mileage:

1. Fill up tank, Zero your Odometer Trip
2. Drive untill tank gets down to 1/8th-1/4
3. Fill up tank. Record how much gas you put in. Record the miles on your Trip.
4. Divide those two numbers:
MILES / GALLONS = MILES PER GALLON:2tu:

I get around 19 on long 5/6th gear trips(cant seem to break 20...),
and around 12-15 with mixed city/hwy agressive driving.
exactly + I already have a 3+ page thread about this

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my car a few months ago and it was on empty when I got it. It's a 2000 ACR with Belanger 1 3/4" Ceramic Coated Headers, Roe Racing Hi-Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust, AB Wires, Macedo Motorsports Heavy Duty Half-Shafts, Unitrax 3.55 Ring and Pinion Gears with Speedo Unit. I filled it up and it topped off at 14 gallons??? That doesn't sound right to me? I have barely driven the car since I am working on customizing it. What kind of mileage can I expect with normal in town driving? Thank you.

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my car a few months ago and it was on empty when I got it. It's a 2000 ACR with Belanger 1 3/4" Ceramic Coated Headers, Roe Racing Hi-Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust, AB Wires, Macedo Motorsports Heavy Duty Half-Shafts, Unitrax 3.55 Ring and Pinion Gears with Speedo Unit. I filled it up and it topped off at 14 gallons??? That doesn't sound right to me? I have barely driven the car since I am working on customizing it. What kind of mileage can I expect with normal in town driving? Thank you.

between 8 and 11

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jance,

Here is a simple calculation for you:

????? Miles / 14 Gallons = no answer

again folks, Step one is to get an Accurate MPG calc before raising a concern. If you cant figure that out than...:bonker:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put $30 bucks in and got around 65 miles....That can't be good.

In Ontario we pay approximately 91 cents CAD per litre.
$30 CAD will buy 32.967 litres.
3.78541 litres = 1 gallon.
32.967 litres = 8.71 US gallons.
$30 CAD = $29.96 USD
US gallon (in Michigan) costs approximately $2.70 USD
1 US gallon bought in Canada = $3.444 USD
Therefore in Canada, $29.96 USD will buy 8.71 US gallons.

65 mile (assuming the odometer reads miles not kms) trip consuming $30 CAD = 7.46 mpg.

If the odometer reads kms, then 65 kms = 40.39 miles which would = 4.64 mpg.

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jance,

Here is a simple calculation for you:

????? Miles / 14 Gallons = no answer

again folks, Step one is to get an Accurate MPG calc before raising a concern. If you cant figure that out than...:bonker:

so dom

i have a late model gen 2, it has a larger oil pan than earlier vipers - 10 qts :eater:

i've been trying to diet since the new year, but haven't lost any weight :rolleyes:

if i can use 93 octane at $2.89 per gal, :eater:

and it cost $38.50 for my last fill up :cool:

:dunno: should i read this thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/635265-8-5mpg.html

:drive:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Ontario we pay approximately 91 cents CAD per litre.
$30 CAD will buy 32.967 litres.
3.78541 litres = 1 gallon.
32.967 litres = 8.71 US gallons.
$30 CAD = $29.96 USD
US gallon (in Michigan) costs approximately $2.70 USD
1 US gallon bought in Canada = $3.444 USD
Therefore in Canada, $29.96 USD will buy 8.71 US gallons.

65 mile (assuming the odometer reads miles not kms) trip consuming $30 CAD = 7.46 mpg.

If the odometer reads kms, then 65 kms = 40.39 miles which would = 4.64 mpg.

really 2000_Black_RT10, i wasn't ripping off your post with this:

so dom

i have a late model gen 2, it has a larger oil pan than earlier vipers - 10 qts :eater:

i've been trying to diet since the new year, but haven't lost any weight :rolleyes:

if i can use 93 octane at $2.89 per gal, :eater:

and it cost $38.50 for my last fill up :cool:

:dunno: should i read this thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/635265-8-5mpg.html

:drive:

(i read yours after posting this :crazy2:)

peace

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really 2000_Black_RT10, i wasn't ripping off your post with this:

(i read yours after posting this :crazy2:)

peace

Sometimes I babble way too quick...... hey.. btw, I can't count how many times I've enjoyed reading your replies eucharistos.

Now I want to read what Baz from the UK pays for gas in US gallons in USD. :dunno:

Cheers,
Mike

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes I babble way too quick...... hey.. btw, I can't count how many times I've enjoyed reading your replies eucharistos.

Now I want to read what Baz from the UK pays for gas in US gallons in USD. :dunno:

Cheers,
Mike

£1.30 a UK ltr and its 4.55ltrs to a UK gallon :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you paid $3.70 (US equivalent) a US gallon for the gas, your mileage is pretty normal for city driving with your foot in it. When I bought my 96 GTS in Detroit and drove it back to Florida I got 24 MPG on that trip. Foot in it city driving blasting away from stop lights, probably 1/3 of that.

$30/3.70 gallon = 8.1 gallons. 65 miles/8.1 gallons = 8 MPG

Canadians generally get worse gas mileage since there are more trees producing oxygen increasing the compression ratio. Naturally aspirated Vipers in Canada run like Turbo Vipers in the US due to the oxygen rich environment. LOL

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a Viper...not a Prius. Gas mileage does not apply but enjoyment, however, does. Enjoy it...ignore the pump.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$1.30 per liter??? Regular (pickup) costs $1.09 and premium is usually $1.29 per liter here in BC. Wow. We do have the highest fuel prices in North America. The high price is because the Liberals added Carbon Tax and several other Taxes that they forgot to remove once the problem was solved. Good thing that Alberta and BC produce our own gas and then sell it cheaper everywhere else in the west?

This June/July we can expect an extra $.03 for Carbon Tax and probably another $.07 for HST. Another $.10 per liter. Summer usually means that fuel costs (not just the taxes) go up as much as an extra $.50 per liter - just because of some idiotic "formula"

Taxes make me wish I lived somewhere else. Put Politicians in jail and lower Taxes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960