gen II rims

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, almost 2 weeks ago I couldn't help myself, I took the Viper out for alittle spin. Probably not the best idea. I scrapped a curb pretty bad, no damage outside the rim, but still extremly upset.

My question. How are these rims chromed? are they even chrome? are they polished aluminum? What is the best way to handle a scrap?

Any answers or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
GTSKlinger

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rims are not chromed, but rather, polished and then shot with a clear coat. The original owner of my car curbed the front passenger side rims pretty badly and had the damage ground out and repolished. I curbed the rear passenger wheel and took a Dremel to the damage to get it out. It looks ok, but bear in mind once you have that sort of damage the shape of the lip of the rim will be changed forever.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sanded out curb rash before, but if it looks like you hit it hard enough that sand paper will not get it out, you can buy used Gen II rims from Partsrack for a lot less than getting one from a dealer.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. Not chromed. I have had my whole set of rims redone after the dealership messed them up putting on tires. Once they re-did the wheels, they did not really look the same. If you only have curb rash you should be fine but I had peeling from the clear coat. Never looks original. Now I just bought a set of chrome wheels.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After you have your wheels polished out, does the shop then clearcoat them? If not will you have problems down the road? I would like to have my Gen II wheels polished out and plan on getting a price quote this weekend from a local shop. I didnt realize that my wheels look so bad until I parked next to another Gen II. Anything else I should ask the shop? Thanks

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a thought, try Cal chrome wheels. I think they are a site sponsor. I believe it is around $180 per wheel for chrome. (5 spoke). then you will never deal with the polish/clear again....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte