Gen III or Gen IV - which should I buy?

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was set to pull the trigger on a C6 Z06 but ran across the SRT10 Viper Coupe and changed my mind. The big question is should I buy the 2006 Gen III or a '08/'09 Gen IV?

(I definitely want a Coupe)

I like the look and the 600HP of the IV but the 510 of the III is no slouch.

Price notwithstanding, why should I buy one over the other and what problems should I be aware of in either Generation?

Thanks for any advice!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I was set to pull the trigger on a C6 Z06 but ran across the SRT10 Viper Coupe and changed my mind. The big question is should I buy the 2006 Gen III or a '08/'09 Gen IV?

(I definitely want a Coupe)

I like the look and the 600HP of the IV but the 510 of the III is no slouch.

Price notwithstanding, why should I buy one over the other and what problems should I be aware of in either Generation?

Thanks for any advice!

Use the search feature as this subject as been covered ad nauseum.

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the short answer depends on what you plan to do regarding horsepower modifications.

If you plan to leave the motor unchanged, go for the Gen 4 for its improvements over the Gen 3.

If you plan to modify the motor for more horsepower, go for the Gen 3 because its engine controls can be easily tuned to accomodate more horsepower. The Gen 4 engine controls cannot be tuned; they must be replaced ($).

Last edited:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you're set on the coupe, then you're limited to a 2006 in a Gen 3. If the money is not an issue, then go for a 4. However, as a Gen 3 owner, I can't use the power I have know, and would have a hard time justifying the cost for me to upgrade.
t

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a 2008 or newer with the 600 h.p..........I have owned a 2006 and 2008 and 2009s and there is a big difference in the ride, handling, power between the two......They LOOK alike but that is all......and the 505 h.p. will probly not outrun your old ZO6 but the 600 h.p. will pretty much eat their lunch........just stay away from the 2007 VIPERs......ha......

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get a 2008 or newer with the 600 h.p..........I have owned a 2006 and 2008 and 2009s and there is a big difference in the ride, handling, power between the two......They LOOK alike but that is all......and the 505 h.p. will probly not outrun your old ZO6 but the 600 h.p. will pretty much eat their lunch........just stay away from the 2007 VIPERs......ha......
I think the statement eat there lunch is a bit off. The ZO6 is a monster in itself if driven correctly. I personally feel thats a drivers race. No way does it eat there lunch.

SNIPERDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I prefer a car with mods, so I vote gen III but I am biased,.., not much better sound than a cammed Viper with 700 hp :)

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As above, it depends on what you want to do with mods.

I agree (and I'm biased too). The Gen III can put down a solid 700-750hp with a heads/cam setup and frankly sounds downright nasty. With the appropriate internal mods and forced induction, it can make huge power. Left in stock form however, it may leave you wanting more.

The Gen IV has all the under-skin improvements and 100 more horsepower over the stock Gen III right off the bat. If cost no object, and a stock to mild mod car is your preference, then that's your best bet IMO. There's upgrades that can still be had on the Gen IV to make good power, but significant mods aren't feasible at this point.

I prefer a car with mods, so I vote gen III but I am biased,.., not much better sound than a cammed Viper with 700 hp :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
have posted this many times:

Do you want best out of the box performance, and best bolt on potential up to ~700HP? Get a Gen-4.
Or do you want easiest modification options up to "the sky is the limit"? Get a Gen-3.

This is a very subjective question overall, especially considering Gen-3's do have a few minor advantages in certain areas over Gen-4, primarily cooling system and ease of use with the JTEC computer system. When you factor in the cost difference between 3 and 4, you can literally build a Gen-4 engine converted Gen-3 with a TR6060 and a Gen-4 rear Diff & Hood for about the same price as a Gen-4... and quite literally have the best of EVERYTHING. Even my own personal car is indeed a Hybrid of the two generations, since they both have their selling points.

Here is an example of a VS-X700 Gen-4 converted Gen-3. When you factor in that you can build this car from scratch for about the cost of a 2010 vert in excellent shape with low miles... it becomes, well, appealing t say the least. Compared to a Gen-4, MORE looks outside, MORE looks under the hood, MORE horsepower, EASIER tuning, BETTER cooling, and unlimited modification potential... take all the good, and leave all the hassle.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use the search feature as this subject as been covered ad nauseum.

Well, apparently the search doesn't work or catch the previously discussed topics because I DID a search trying different key words. Some camcaul but NO comparisons that I saw. My apologies if I did something incorrectly.

If you have links I would appreciate them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And thank you all for the replies so far. Any others?

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I chose a Gen III because 500 hp is way more than enough for me and they're quite a bit cheaper.

I do like the Gen IV hood better, but you can get that for about $1800. So that way you can have the more aggressive look but for much less

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I chose a Gen III because 500 hp is way more than enough for me and they're quite a bit cheaper.

I do like the Gen IV hood better, but you can get that for about $1800. So that way you can have the more aggressive look but for much less

Thank you. I was not aware the Gen IV hood fit the Gen III.

SNIPERDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
have posted this many times:

Do you want best out of the box performance, and best bolt on potential up to ~700HP? Get a Gen-4.
Or do you want easiest modification options up to "the sky is the limit"? Get a Gen-3.

This is a very subjective question overall, especially considering Gen-3's do have a few minor advantages in certain areas over Gen-4, primarily cooling system and ease of use with the JTEC computer system. When you factor in the cost difference between 3 and 4, you can literally build a Gen-4 engine converted Gen-3 with a TR6060 and a Gen-4 rear Diff & Hood for about the same price as a Gen-4... and quite literally have the best of EVERYTHING. Even my own personal car is indeed a Hybrid of the two generations, since they both have their selling points.

Here is an example of a VS-X700 Gen-4 converted Gen-3. When you factor in that you can build this car from scratch for about the cost of a 2010 vert in excellent shape with low miles... it becomes, well, appealing t say the least. Compared to a Gen-4, MORE looks outside, MORE looks under the hood, MORE horsepower, EASIER tuning, BETTER cooling, and unlimited modification potential... take all the good, and leave all the hassle.

This post gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :)

To know I can keep my ride bad ass FOREVER, FOREVER, FOREVER (in the voice of kid from "The Sandlot")

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you. I was not aware the Gen IV hood fit the Gen III.

Yep... both OEM and aftermarket options available. If you join the VCA you can get 20% off from the viper parts of america https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/products/2008-2010-dodge-viper-srt10-hood-05030567ae so the membership pays for itself

I'm going to enjoy my car stock this year and then get the hood & rims next summer so it's like a brand new car :) The old hood will make the coolest wall art ever.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Well, apparently the search doesn't work or catch the previously discussed topics because I DID a search trying different key words. Some camcaul but NO comparisons that I saw. My apologies if I did something incorrectly.

If you have links I would appreciate them?

No need to apologize.:)
Let me sum it up. The Gen 4 is superior to the Gen 3 in every single thing except throttle response and mods. The drive by wire ***** until you get used to it and it's MUCH more expensive to get the F/I hp mods on the Gen 4. But, I went from a supercharged Gen 3 with all the goodies to my Gen 4 and never looked back.

F

FrgMstr

Great info. Thanks!

After I totalled my 2005, I was looking for a new Gen III. Had one in mind that was extremely low miles only hauled around as a show car. I went to talk to my local Viper tech about the engine being used so little for so many years and we had a good discussion about that and he told me the car should be just fine. When I was walking out of the garage bay, he said to me, "Why are you not buying a Gen IV?" I stopped, turned, and responded, "Why should I?" He said, "Because they fixed everything that was wrong with it." I knew at that moment that he had just cost me $20K. I love my Gen IV car. It is simply a better overall automobile than the Gen III based on my personal ownership experience.

Unless you want to mod the hell out of it, or are funds limited, I think you would be crazy to buy the Gen III car. That said, I loved my Gen III car too, but much less after I drove the Gen IV 1000 miles home from the dealership I bought it from.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Gen IV didn't fix everything that needed improvement on the Gen III (draggy parking brake, window regulators, semi-poor quality shocks, baseline stereo, etc.), but it does improve a good many details. The new trans and Visco-Lok rear end are certainly worth some of the upgrade cost. It is clear that SRT put in almost all the improvements in the engine and drive train. For the remainder of the car, it is 95% the same between the two generations. Obviously, a lot of Gen 3s have been carefully tweaked with Motons, lightweight forged wheels, exhaust systems and dyno tunes. etc.-- to make them more attractive cars to drive. But for the guy who wants a turn-key, more refined Viper that has the revamped engine and drive train, the extra cost of a newer model could be worth it.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Gen IV didn't fix everything that needed improvement on the Gen III (draggy parking brake, window regulators, semi-poor quality shocks, baseline stereo, etc.), but it does improve a good many details. The new trans and Visco-Lok rear end are certainly worth some of the upgrade cost. It is clear that SRT put in almost all the improvements in the engine and drive train. For the remainder of the car, it is 95% the same between the two generations. Obviously, a lot of Gen 3s have been carefully tweaked with Motons, lightweight forged wheels, exhaust systems and dyno tunes. etc.-- to make them more attractive cars to drive. But for the guy who wants a turn-key, more refined Viper that has the revamped engine and drive train, the extra cost of a newer model could be worth it.
Very good perspective. Thank you.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After I totalled my 2005, I was looking for a new Gen III. Had one in mind that was extremely low miles only hauled around as a show car. I went to talk to my local Viper tech about the engine being used so little for so many years and we had a good discussion about that and he told me the car should be just fine. When I was walking out of the garage bay, he said to me, "Why are you not buying a Gen IV?" I stopped, turned, and responded, "Why should I?" He said, "Because they fixed everything that was wrong with it." I knew at that moment that he had just cost me $20K. I love my Gen IV car. It is simply a better overall automobile than the Gen III based on my personal ownership experience.

Unless you want to mod the hell out of it, or are funds limited, I think you would be crazy to buy the Gen III car. That said, I loved my Gen III car too, but much less after I drove the Gen IV 1000 miles home from the dealership I bought it from.

Thank you! Great to get the inside view from someone who has owned both.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 has many options for Mods , Gen 4 Not so much . If you want stock buy the Gen 4 .
For me Gen 3 with Mods , taylored to my preference . JMO :D:

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You really can't go wrong.

I had never driven or let alone sat in a Viper before my Gen III rolled off the enclosed transport truck into my driveway and had my heart set on a Blue/White Coupe. My budget didn't stretch to the Gen IV range for the very limited # that fit this combination so out of this requirement I purchased my 2006 First Edition Gen III and absolutely love it. I've spent more hours waxing/polishing it top and bottom than driving (6,000 fair weather miles on the odometer) but in the 1,100 miles of seat time I have had since purchase I have zero complaints other than the need to resist laughing like a school child when hitting the go-pedal and my wife nagging me to get out of the garage and stop staring at the car on the lift.

I personally don't know what is difficult about the transmission - my daily driver Saab 9-3 Aero is a 6-speed and sure its smoother shifting but it's a Saab not a Viper. To me the Viper is also a breeze to drive and shift (of course the shift knob on both Gen III and IV could use a trimming).

I have since swapped out the heavy/hot cross-over exhaust for an '08+ cat back take-off and absolutely love my car. While its near perfect the way she sits I do envy the Gen IV hood but haven't been able to justify the cost for an upgrade to a car I may be selling soon. If I do end up keeping the car which was my original plan I would like to go the route of Twin Turbos and at this time as others have mentioned is not realistically available on Gen IV.

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were keeping a Viper relatively stock with just a few bolt-on mods, I'd go Gen 4. They are still very respectable in stock form, even better with some mods. The Gen 3 suits guys like me better, because I get to modify the car how I want, and make a lot more power. I rolled around in my '06 coupe at 650 rwhp for about 4 years, then got bored of the power (I knew I would). Currently at 850 rwhp and going up. Not possible with a Gen 4, without the expensive $6-8K dumped in for a completely new engine management system that would void the yearly inspection. I can make just over 1,000 rwhp with the factory computer in a Gen 3.