Gen III Viper Seats in a 1998 Gen II

ssj108

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed Gen III seats in a Gen II? I am worried about the height of the seat as compared to Gen II factory. I have absolutley no room to go higher than what I currently have. Can these be mounted directly to the floor pan without rails?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When you find out, let us know! Sounds like a great idea. Just save your old seats in case you want to sell it.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be hard to do. You can mount the Gen III seats in a Gen II by cutting off the Gen III bracket mounting tabs and making simple flat brackets to mount directly to the existing Gen II bolts but the seat does sit higher than the stock Gen II's. The Gen III seats are significantly larger than the Gen II's.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen it done before. Saw a few pictures back but do not have them anymore. I personally do not like the leather on the GEN III seats. Wears much faster than the GEN II seats.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can be installed. The Gen III seats themselves are higher and will move you forward slightly. Like Shelby3 says, you'll have to cut the mounting tabs off the new seats and fabricate brackets for them. Absolutely great mod IMO. Here are some pics of my 97 GTS with Gen III seats.

2827driversinterior.jpg

2827viperseat002.JPG

2827viperseat001-med.jpg

2827viperseat015-med.JPG

If you have absolutely no room to go higher then it probably won't work for you. You may be able to lower it another inch if you eliminate the slider rails but it'll be difficult if not impossible to access the rear bolts. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure someone out there can do it.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who upgrades and wants to get rid of the Gen II seats let me know. I'm looking for a nice set.