Gen IV Catch Can?

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good source for a complete catch can set up for a Gen IV viper? I am using the DC Performance unit now and it helps but I am still getting some oil in my intake after a day of hard driving.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RC,

How about just installing a catch can that has two inlets and a vent filter on top? Then plug off the inlet going into the intake, allowing the valve covers to just vent to the can and then atomosphere. This is the arrangement I'll be doing on my car, to prevent any oil getting into my intake.

Reaction score
Although this will work for a track car I think the smell of oil vented under the hood and sucked into the cabin would be a negative for a street driven car IMHO.

RC,

How about just installing a catch can that has two inlets and a vent filter on top? Then plug off the inlet going into the intake, allowing the valve covers to just vent to the can and then atmosphere. This is the arrangement I'll be doing on my car, to prevent any oil getting into my intake.

OP
OP
R

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Parts ordered from Woodhouse and Arrow, thanks for the help.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RCC
Can you post some pic's when you get it install. Thanks.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
RC,

How about just installing a catch can that has two inlets and a vent filter on top? Then plug off the inlet going into the intake, allowing the valve covers to just vent to the can and then atomosphere. This is the arrangement I'll be doing on my car, to prevent any oil getting into my intake.

This is what I did about 14,000 track miles ago on my 09 ACR. I developed a set up just like you describe. No oil smell on the street, no issues, easy install, no drilling valve covers, very little oil in catch can, NO oil in intake, parts are readily available and not too pricey.....and you can easily return the car to OE for sales or smog purposes.

Email me with your personal email and I'll send you the info on my setup with pics, no charge.

FYI, the DC set up is a closed system that applies vacuum to the cannister and does **** some oil into the intake manifold.

Dan :headbang:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I was wondering how someone would smell oil on a setup like I proposed, when we have six huge hood vents open to atmosphere. I've run the non-vacuum catch-can on several cars without vented hoods and those worked fine and didn't stink either.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan, I was wondering how someone would smell oil on a setup like I proposed, when we have six huge hood vents open to atmosphere. I've run the non-vacuum catch-can on several cars without vented hoods and those worked fine and didn't stink either.

Don't know. I can run 6 track weekends without even emptying the catch can as very little oil is collected in it when you remove the vacuum source.

OP
OP
R

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I should have researched this more. Catch can showed up from Woodhouse as well as did the modified valve covers from Arrow Racing. Problem is ACRX catch can will not mount in a street car. There is cooler in the way on the street car that I'm guessing an ACRX has relocated somewhere else. Hopefully Woodhouse and Arrow will let me return the parts for a restocking fee. Now to find something that will fit in the space I have to work with.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will work with the A/C condensor lines. We installed this kit (home made with the can from the X) on three cars in one weekend. It is easy to do you have to modify the A/C line but that is all.

OP
OP
R

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Modify as in rebend the AC line so it's out of the way?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
RCC,

Send me your email and I'll send you some pics and info on the catch can I use.

No bending or mods necessary and the parts are very inexpensive.

Dan

Reaction score
I guess I should have researched this more. Catch can showed up from Woodhouse as well as did the modified valve covers from Arrow Racing. Problem is ACRX catch can will not mount in a street car. There is cooler in the way on the street car that I'm guessing an ACRX has relocated somewhere else. Hopefully Woodhouse and Arrow will let me return the parts for a restocking fee. Now to find something that will fit in the space I have to work with.

No problem RC, they do fit and everyone we have sold went onto a street ACR for the track. If you send it back I won't charge you any fees, they are no longer making this system and I have a couple other customers that want it if you choose to not use it.

Thanks,

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have another question on something I was just told. I was at the gas station and saw a Gen IV ACR and a new Z06 on trailers headed to the track. I stopped and talked to them and mentioned I was just getting into tracking. The guy with the Viper said I HAVE to get a breather / catch can on the car if I'm going to track much. He had a GTS he tracked extensively for 5 years and now does the same with his ACR, so I am assuming he knows what he's talking about when it comes to this. I just wanted to get your opinions on the next part, as I haven't really heard it much before.

He said you need to remove the baffles in the valve covers or you will end up with a lot of oil in the can after track days. The baffles work great for the street, but not the track. What are some other track-rat's opinions on this? Is it truly necessary? I plan on getting on the track as often as possible now that I'm hooked, but I still do lot of street driving. Will removing the baffles be an issue on street cars? It looked like his ACR was pretty much a dedicated track car.

OP
OP
R

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem RC, they do fit and everyone we have sold went onto a street ACR for the track. If you send it back I won't charge you any fees, they are no longer making this system and I have a couple other customers that want it if you choose to not use it.

Thanks,

After a little back and forth texting with Tim last I figured it out. I gave the AC line a little massage and everything fits.

OP
OP
R

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After some good advice from Tim, I got the catch can installed today. It was a fairly easy install once I got the AC line moved out of the way. I wasn't able to take any pictures during the install but here are pictures of the finished product.

Catch can mounted-

You must be registered for see images attach

Valve covers-

Unused ports capped off-

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking good RC, the ACR-X can systems are top notch and your installation looks clean! I'm diggin the smooth tubes!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread guys... is there much of an issue with getting oil in the intake for Gen 3 cars (when used at a track)? I noticed the crankcase vents are high and to the inside, near the forward front corner of the valve cover on a Gen 3, seemingly a logical placement (but who knows what could be happening in there under hard braking, esp. downhill?). I'm a little surprised by the location of the Gen IV valve cover vents... there's only so much that can be done for oil management with internal baffles.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Gen 3 cars still **** oil into the intake from the PCV system. Want proof? Pull off your throttle body and look inside the intake with a flashlight. It will likely be coated with oil inside. This means potential detonation/pinging, which makes the knock sensors and ECM start to pull ignition timing. This means less power. This is a big problem with the LSX engines too. Catch cans are an excellent modification for most high performance engines.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do notice some oil accumulation in the air intake hose/throttle body area, and some minor smoke out the exhaust on decel/shifing. But it doesn't seem so excessive that I'm freaking out about it.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are any of you Gen4 guys experiencing a funky idle after plugging that port on the intake?

I attempted to install a system like this but taking away the metered vacuum leak by capping off the port on the intake makes my idle hunt. So I installed an oil separator inline with the PCV instead.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte