Gen IV Engine ticking noise

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I started to hear this ticking noise coming from the engine after the last 2 weeks or so. It is not loud but it is there. I do have very good hearing and know that my motor was not making this noise before.:mad::crazy2:

I drove the car around four times these last 2 weeks and the noise begins everytime that the engine warms up and does not go away when the engine is operating on its normal temp range.:(

As far as oil changes are required, I use AMSOIL 5W-40 100% syntetic since the car was 3500km or so.

My car is a 2010 ACR with 6600 kms on the clock.

The mods done to the car so far are ACR-X catch can kit(woodhouse) with the arrow racing modified valve covers, k&N air filter and snake oil smooth intake tubes.

Does anyone have or had this "issue" with the 08-10 cars or this is only my luck?

Please help!

Thanks,
Tiago.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your plug wires. When you changed out the valve covers you might have left a wire somewhat loose. A jump will make a clicking sound.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A light ticking could be normal valve train noise, especially after warm-up when the oil has become less viscous. So it never does it when cold? I have also seen very small exhaust leaks come and go depending on temperature, so that is another possibility. But more likely it is in the valve train (lifter to cam, rocker arm to push rod, rocker to valve stem, all generate mechanical noise). Just driving in warmer weather esp. with the top down or windows open will make these sounds much more noticeable. A lot of people are surprised at what their engine actually sounds like while standing next to the car with the hood open. Since your engine is just breaking in, it might be loosening up a tad. A fresh oil change will sometimes quiet it down, but that is more typical of older engines that get a lot of fuel blow-by into the oil. I find that running 15W-50 in the summer months does reduce the ticking, but the higher viscosity oils are not recommended for low temp conditions, say under 40 degrees (F) or so.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your plug wires. When you changed out the valve covers you might have left a wire somewhat loose. A jump will make a clicking sound.

We were very careful when changing the covers out. I did check the wires yesterday and everything is fine.

Our cars look identical! Good choice! ;)

thanks for your input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A light ticking could be normal valve train noise, especially after warm-up when the oil has become less viscous. So it never does it when cold? I have also seen very small exhaust leaks come and go depending on temperature, so that is another possibility. But more likely it is in the valve train (lifter to cam, rocker arm to push rod, rocker to valve stem, all generate mechanical noise). Just driving in warmer weather esp. with the top down or windows open will make these sounds much more noticeable. A lot of people are surprised at what their engine actually sounds like while standing next to the car with the hood open. Since your engine is just breaking in, it might be loosening up a tad. A fresh oil change will sometimes quiet it down, but that is more typical of older engines that get a lot of fuel blow-by into the oil. I find that running 15W-50 in the summer months does reduce the ticking, but the higher viscosity oils are not recommended for low temp conditions, say under 40 degrees (F) or so.

Now that the summer has reached its hotter temps. it does tick when its cold too. I also hear it with the windows up from inside the cabin and my car is a coupe.
Everything that you said made perfect sense and who knows if I dont have a small exhaust leak going with that too.

I am getting a new oil filter this week and and switching back to the recomended mobil-1 0W-40 oil. I believe it might be the oil that is being used being a little bit thinner and is causing that. So the amsoil that is in there is the european car formula 5w-40. It is probably a 5W-38 or so in my opinion and causing the noise to be a little higher than it should be.
I will let you guys know and if does not improve I am going to try the mobil 15W-50 in the viper for the rest of the summer.

Thanks.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting a new oil filter this week and and switching back to the recomended mobil-1 0W-40 oil. I believe it might be the oil that is being used being a little bit thinner and is causing that. So the amsoil that is in there is the european car formula 5w-40. It is probably a 5W-38 or so in my opinion and causing the noise to be a little higher than it should be.
I will let you guys know and if does not improve I am going to try the mobil 15W-50 in the viper for the rest of the summer.
I switched from the Mobil 0W-40 to their 15W-50 about 6 weeks ago and it definitely quieted down the ticking at idle. Although, when you've been driving hard in hot weather you can still hear it. Since it never gets very cold here and I don't drive the Viper in bad/rainy weather anyway, I'm thinking of staying with the 15W-50 full time (the car will probably never be out in below 40 degrees F!).

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more vote for Mobil 1 15-50w big improvement . You can also used Castrol GTX 5w-50 . Im in Texas and at 100 F the car runs great and no more ticking.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the Viper V10's I've ever heard including the RAM SRT10's running 0w oil make noise. If it's warm enough, Mobil1 15w50 or Amsoil 20w50 are just fine and no more ticking noises. I use both in my V10's and my Chall SRT8 with no issues and they run quiet and maintain good oil pressure when hot.

0w oils a great when it's -20'F but if it's above freezing not necessary. JMONSHO

--FQB

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Watch that OIL TEMP GUAGE perhaps for the first time in your life!
Just be certain to let your motor warm for 1 full minute or more with 15-50.....and several minutes of running before any WOT please.
No COLD WOT.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Watch that OIL TEMP GUAGE perhaps for the first time in your life!
Just be certain to let your motor warm for 1 full minute or more with 15-50.....and several minutes of running before any WOT please.
No COLD WOT.

Hey Jon, thanks for the tips.

I just had the oil changed last friday and the oil pressure seems to be always higher now then before with the 0w-40.
No difference in oil temp. during cruising conditions and lets see if that will change when I get ready to race again.

NO MORE TICKING noise!!! :)

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I just wanted to tell everybody that the ticking noise has been gone after switching to mobil syntetic 15w-50 since last friday.
It is like new again, NO MORE TICKING CRAP NOISE! That oil is what the engine will be taking from now on during the hottest months of the year.

I am happy and enjoy driving the car again!

Thanks to all that helped and expressed your opinions about this subject.

Tiago.

Last edited:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I just wanted to tell everybody that the ticking noise has been gone after switching to mobil syntetic 15w-50 since last friday.
It is like new again, NO MORE TICKING CRAP NOISE! That what the engine will be taking from now on during the hottest months of the year.

I am happy and enjoy driving the car again.

Thanks to all that helped and expressed your opinions about this subject.

Tiago.

That's good to hear! My 02GTS has that ticking noise after it gets hot and I thought I needed to switch to roller rockers, or worse yet that I had bent something! My car is currently at BBG getting Headers, 3" cats and Corsa 3" cat back exhaust installed, I guess I "Might as well" get the oil changed while it is there....and so it begins with the mods... :) Jeff

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's good to hear! My 02GTS has that ticking noise after it gets hot and I thought I needed to switch to roller rockers, or worse yet that I had bent something! My car is currently at BBG getting Headers, 3" cats and Corsa 3" cat back exhaust installed, I guess I "Might as well" get the oil changed while it is there....and so it begins with the mods... :) Jeff

Go for it! The viscosity of the 15W-50 oil completely changed things with the engine. It sounds and operates smooth and not as raspy as before when it had the amsoil 0W-40 in it.
Nice GTS b.t.w.!!!!! :)

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I started to hear this ticking noise coming from the engine after the last 2 weeks or so. It is not loud but it is there. I do have very good hearing and know that my motor was not making this noise before.:mad::crazy2:

I drove the car around four times these last 2 weeks and the noise begins everytime that the engine warms up and does not go away when the engine is operating on its normal temp range.:(

As far as oil changes are required, I use AMSOIL 5W-40 100% syntetic since the car was 3500km or so.

My car is a 2010 ACR with 6600 kms on the clock.

The mods done to the car so far are ACR-X catch can kit(woodhouse) with the arrow racing modified valve covers, k&N air filter and snake oil smooth intake tubes.

Does anyone have or had this "issue" with the 08-10 cars or this is only my luck?

Please help!

Thanks,
Tiago.

I have a 95, I can hear that ticking sound coming from the back of the engine/tranny area. Its not a valve ticking, it really sounds like a clock ticking. It does it everytime I drive the car, mostly taking off in first gear, or in reverse..

I could really hear the ticking when the interior paneling were out of the car (center console/arm rest, front dash paneling and the knee high front panels)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte