Gen IV hits afterburner --- 95+ in second gear!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Moved in for the kill, spying the small Japanese ragtop with the coffee can pipes , a mere 100 ft ahead.The left side of my mouth dropped down into a sinister sneer, already appreciating the shock wave I was about to drop near his beam, detonating fear throughout his very soul. Cruising at 70 mph, the 600 snakepower SRT10 was calm , tethered back, loping along at a sedate speed, waiting for me to drop the hammer. The bread van ahead, veered off on the exit, followed by the Kia Rio loaded full of bluehairs, and the time was nigh. Slipsliding from 4th to 2nd ,pedal maxed out , we chirp the big Michelins at 95+ going back into three, just as we **** the S2000 into our draft, pulling hard past the century mark. The small Honda, driven by a bad comb-over now all askew, flittered away like a small bird , realizing a dive bombing Hawk had missed taking his life by only inches.Oh, yes, the fear was there, and it was real, and it will be present for a long time, because .............................the KING IS BACK!!!

The Belle Isle Grand Prix was a great event and a highlight for many, but the 30 minute drive I had in an 08 Viper on the very same weekend was head and shoulders above for me. Three weeks ago, I was instructing a driver in a 2007 Z06 at MPH ( Motorsports Park, Hastings ) and though quick and powerful, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a very venomous Pit Viper. Yes, second gear reaches around the 95 mph range and it pulls and pulls right to redline ---- no small dead spot at 5600-5700 rpm. Amazement about the ride centers on the fact that only after around 20 minutes did I awaken to the fact that I was driving with one hand lightly on the wheel. The chassis realignment, shocks and springs recalibration and PS2s,make the ride and handling the best ever-----------it is indeed a new generation. Slipping through the gears, the T6060 will make you forget about wanting a short throw shift kit (though a MGW Ltd. knob would still look good), as the crispness is better than a fresh head of lettuce ---- heh, I have to be politically correct and use analogies for the vegetarians in the crowd too.

This is not a new Viper, this is the best Viper ever made and one trip up to redline will make you a believer ------ say Amen and Hallelujah, cuz you will be born again!!! The variable valve timing , new intake manifold , and higher redline, set a tone on the table that exudes a gourmet's touch --- tasteful with a style all it's own (one for the foodies). Forcefully planting your foot on the aluminum accelerator pedal will pin you in the back of the seat with such force that your Chiropractic visit for the week can be canceled, you are already realigned. A gentle caress across the clutch, like lips kissing it with a whisper, is all the force necessary to engage the next gear.

The grip of the black rubber donuts is slot car like and along with diminished road noise and kitten soft tread makes the ride approaching that of an 300 SRT8! If you wanted one before, the 08 will cause more than just lust in your heart, as this is a car that not only will become your mistress, it will capture your soul. For those of you that have enjoyed and pampered your previous Vipers, get ready for the most loving non human companion ever devised.....................this is a new generation, this is a true evolution, this is the 2008 Viper!!!

Okay, I am being a bit verbose , but damn , this thing blew me away , and after years of driving different cars, and loads of Vipers, this is just friggin unbelievable. You can drive this machine knowing the heritage is all there, it is still not for the meek ( they may inherit the Earth, but we shall have all the Vipers ) and cruising down the highway you are the master/mistress of the road!!

Enjoy,

Bill Pemberton

PS - At no time during the rapid launch of the 600 hp Viper were any little Hondas, or bluehairs, plants & animals , injured in the execution of this story's report on supreme motivation .

Approved by PETA

People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles:2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very eloquent indeed, Bill--thanx for the extremely riveting write-up on the '08!!! Makes us LONG for the arrivals!!! ~juli

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be timid Bill. Let us know how you really feel.

Best,

Bob

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I keep reading about this car, it seems like 08 is WAY more than added horsepower.

Makes me want one.

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dang, Jeff got the whole gist in just one word , capitalized! Yep, it is WAY more and I will be sending out my copy , Jeff, so I can let you edit it down to just the important stuff. Good job and thanks for the help, ha.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

Was that at 6250 + rpm?

Dan

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm.. 95 mph in 2nd gear ? 4 real? Seems a little crazy, u sure?

Also, beating up on s2ks isnt all that impressive... How about beating up on a z06.. yeah those badges are far more tasty then soy-sauce ones.

I'll hold judgement on the true abilities of this car once someone gets it to the drag strip. So far what the rags are saying its times are vs the vette doesnt particularly impress me.

95+ in second gear does though... lol.. :)

BTW, are we really calling this GEN 4 ???? or is it Gen 3.5 ?? WHO DECIDES??

Jon

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay, Jon, just for you, time to elaborate ----- run, children, Pemberton is going to start typing, and if you think he talks alot, wait till you see him vomit verbage off a keyboard!!

Questionia Numero Uno ......
1. It is a Gen IV cuz Dodge be saying it is so!!
2. It is a Gen IV, because I have driven one and it is no longer even a question ( plus rumors that more things were changed from III to IV than from I to II seem quite justifiable). One rapid transit to 120+ will cause more tingles than your first kiss at 6 years of age , Jon ( bet you wonder how I know ).

Question numbered numeral two.....
1. Well the mags say it ain't much faster than a Vette? Shame Jonathan, for not believing the likes of Christopher Marshall, Big Bobby Carroll, Cindi Lux, Stan Wilson, and even little ole me. Did you not read my little preamble that rambled about driving a Z06 on the track jest three whole weeks ago? Well.................read below after I get done with this spew.
2. Mags ---I know u iz a better driver than 90% of the magdrivers, so what are you paying so much attention there anyway? Heck, you know the Vette ran in mucho favorable conditions at VIR ( Virginia International Raceway ) , whereas the Viper ran when it was hot and humid - i.e. not optimal condition for a big breathing V10 *****.

3rd Question for this evening.....
1. Beating up on S2000s is not too impressive.True Jon, so just substitute Hyundai Sonata, as I was merely trying to illustrate that the new Snake has enough power, on full rocket boost, that the air turbulence as you roared by would cause mortal motor vehicles to turn donuts in the middle of the Interstate .

The Z06 Track Experience by;
William G. Pemberton

As happened on a sunny day in August , 2007.

Got in the car with the owner, who had told everyone that the entire course should be run in third gear. All the happy little Vettes were zooming round and round the track , going faster and faster and never, never having to shift. See the fast little Z06s , driving almost like automatics, so happy are they, that no one has to wiggle into another gear, as this would take practice , skill , and mental application. In fact I wrote a little poem;

No shift , no shift , ain't it a gas
No shift , no shift, driving is a blast
No shift , no shift , I am so fast
No shift , no shift, I never get past
No shift , no shift, my mind is obvously missing the essential nerve synapses to complete a task as simple as moving a lever from one position to another.
No shift, no shift , I have no talent, I need my mother!!!

I decided to make a sutle, yet simple, and yet uncomplicated, though not redundant suggestion that maybe a trip down memory lane to second gear in three different corners would elicit a faster response around the track. He let me pop into the driver's seat, I snugged up the seat belt contraption, adjusted the mirrors , angled the seat back to level my shoulders towards the proper steering wheel position, applied my sunblock lip gloss ( heh, I wanted them to think I was one of them), adjusted myself ( yeh, you know what I mean), cleared my throat twice, and turned on the car. It roared to life with the sound of a Kirby sweeper on HGH ( not quite as powerful as steroids but you get the mental picture), and off we went. Went around the track 5 seconds faster than the no shift Chevy pilots , shifting to second through three corners. Yep, you could say I was going fast. Yep, you could say I was shushing through the s turns. Yep, you could say I was tripping the light fantastic, but.....................................basically I was just hammering the 7 liter for every inch of its bowtie loving life!! So , the conclusion is , I got to run a new , Z06 Vette ,through it's paces, and it's a nice car, good balance , with really cute little air intakes and a heads up display ( I always thought they should offer a heads down display , but it's late and I am starting to digress ). Nuff said.

A drive in a 2008 Black Viper Coupe with 600 horsepower on a loverly September Summer Day!
By
William G. Pemberton

Got in the car, drove 30 miles , went through the gears a bunch , drove with one hand, massaged the gas pedal like a 300 pound Swedish massuese named Helga numerous times . Yep, the Viper is a ton faster!!!!
Geesh, if you need more convincing , call me and I will be brief.....ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,haha,ha,ha,ha!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, Jon, just for you, time to elaborate ----- run, children, Pemberton is going to start typing, and if you think he talks alot, wait till you see him vomit verbage off a keyboard!!

Questionia Numero Uno ......
1. It is a Gen IV cuz Dodge be saying it is so!!
2. It is a Gen IV, because I have driven one and it is no longer even a question ( plus rumors that more things were changed from III to IV than from I to II seem quite justifiable). One rapid transit to 120+ will cause more tingles than your first kiss at 6 years of age , Jon ( bet you wonder how I know ).

Question numbered numeral two.....
1. Well the mags say it ain't much faster than a Vette? Shame Jonathan, for not believing the likes of Christopher Marshall, Big Bobby Carroll, Cindi Lux, Stan Wilson, and even little ole me. Did you not read my little preamble that rambled about driving a Z06 on the track jest three whole weeks ago? Well.................read below after I get done with this spew.
2. Mags ---I know u iz a better driver than 90% of the magdrivers, so what are you paying so much attention there anyway? Heck, you know the Vette ran in mucho favorable conditions at VIR ( Virginia International Raceway ) , whereas the Viper ran when it was hot and humid - i.e. not optimal condition for a big breathing V10 *****.

3rd Question for this evening.....
1. Beating up on S2000s is not too impressive.True Jon, so just substitute Hyundai Sonata, as I was merely trying to illustrate that the new Snake has enough power, on full rocket boost, that the air turbulence as you roared by would cause mortal motor vehicles to turn donuts in the middle of the Interstate .

The Z06 Track Experience by;
William G. Pemberton

As happened on a sunny day in August , 2007.

Got in the car with the owner, who had told everyone that the entire course should be run in third gear. All the happy little Vettes were zooming round and round the track , going faster and faster and never, never having to shift. See the fast little Z06s , driving almost like automatics, so happy are they, that no one has to wiggle into another gear, as this would take practice , skill , and mental application. In fact I wrote a little poem;

No shift , no shift , ain't it a gas
No shift , no shift, driving is a blast
No shift , no shift , I am so fast
No shift , no shift, I never get past
No shift , no shift, my mind is obvously missing the essential nerve synapses to complete a task as simple as moving a lever from one position to another.
No shift, no shift , I have no talent, I need my mother!!!

I decided to make a sutle, yet simple, and yet uncomplicated, though not redundant suggestion that maybe a trip down memory lane to second gear in three different corners would elicit a faster response around the track. He let me pop into the driver's seat, I snugged up the seat belt contraption, adjusted the mirrors , angled the seat back to level my shoulders towards the proper steering wheel position, applied my sunblock lip gloss ( heh, I wanted them to think I was one of them), adjusted myself ( yeh, you know what I mean), cleared my throat twice, and turned on the car. It roared to life with the sound of a Kirby sweeper on HGH ( not quite as powerful as steroids but you get the mental picture), and off we went. Went around the track 5 seconds faster than the no shift Chevy pilots , shifting to second through three corners. Yep, you could say I was going fast. Yep, you could say I was shushing through the s turns. Yep, you could say I was tripping the light fantastic, but.....................................basically I was just hammering the 7 liter for every inch of its bowtie loving life!! So , the conclusion is , I got to run a new , Z06 Vette ,through it's paces, and it's a nice car, good balance , with really cute little air intakes and a heads up display ( I always thought they should offer a heads down display , but it's late and I am starting to digress ). Nuff said.

A drive in a 2008 Black Viper Coupe with 600 horsepower on a loverly September Summer Day!
By
William G. Pemberton

Got in the car, drove 30 miles , went through the gears a bunch , drove with one hand, massaged the gas pedal like a 300 pound Swedish massuese named Helga numerous times . Yep, the Viper is a ton faster!!!!
Geesh, if you need more convincing , call me and I will be brief.....ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,haha,ha,ha,ha!!!!!!!!:headbang:

Bill,

That's alot of words. Can't you just say it's WAY better? Geez, do I have to help with all of your editing?

Just kidding.

Thanks for all of your input, it's a fun read.

Jeff

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moved in for the kill, spying the small Japanese ragtop with the coffee can pipes , a mere 100 ft ahead.The left side of my mouth dropped down into a sinister sneer, already appreciating the shock wave I was about to drop near his beam, detonating fear throughout his very soul. Cruising at 70 mph, the 600 snakepower SRT10 was calm , tethered back, loping along at a sedate speed, waiting for me to drop the hammer. The bread van ahead, veered off on the exit, followed by the Kia Rio loaded full of bluehairs, and the time was nigh. Slipsliding from 4th to 2nd ,pedal maxed out , we chirp the big Michelins at 95+ going back into three, just as we **** the S2000 into our draft, pulling hard past the century mark. The small Honda, driven by a bad comb-over now all askew, flittered away like a small bird , realizing a dive bombing Hawk had missed taking his life by only inches.Oh, yes, the fear was there, and it was real, and it will be present for a long time, because .............................the KING IS BACK!!!

The Belle Isle Grand Prix was a great event and a highlight for many, but the 30 minute drive I had in an 08 Viper on the very same weekend was head and shoulders above for me. Three weeks ago, I was instructing a driver in a 2007 Z06 at MPH ( Motorsports Park, Hastings ) and though quick and powerful, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a very venomous Pit Viper. Yes, second gear reaches around the 95 mph range and it pulls and pulls right to redline ---- no small dead spot at 5600-5700 rpm. Amazement about the ride centers on the fact that only after around 20 minutes did I awaken to the fact that I was driving with one hand lightly on the wheel. The chassis realignment, shocks and springs recalibration and PS2s,make the ride and handling the best ever-----------it is indeed a new generation. Slipping through the gears, the T6060 will make you forget about wanting a short throw shift kit (though a MGW Ltd. knob would still look good), as the crispness is better than a fresh head of lettuce ---- heh, I have to be politically correct and use analogies for the vegetarians in the crowd too.

This is not a new Viper, this is the best Viper ever made and one trip up to redline will make you a believer ------ say Amen and Hallelujah, cuz you will be born again!!! The variable valve timing , new intake manifold , and higher redline, set a tone on the table that exudes a gourmet's touch --- tasteful with a style all it's own (one for the foodies). Forcefully planting your foot on the aluminum accelerator pedal will pin you in the back of the seat with such force that your Chiropractic visit for the week can be canceled, you are already realigned. A gentle caress across the clutch, like lips kissing it with a whisper, is all the force necessary to engage the next gear.

The grip of the black rubber donuts is slot car like and along with diminished road noise and kitten soft tread makes the ride approaching that of an 300 SRT8! If you wanted one before, the 08 will cause more than just lust in your heart, as this is a car that not only will become your mistress, it will capture your soul. For those of you that have enjoyed and pampered your previous Vipers, get ready for the most loving non human companion ever devised.....................this is a new generation, this is a true evolution, this is the 2008 Viper!!!

Okay, I am being a bit verbose , but damn , this thing blew me away , and after years of driving different cars, and loads of Vipers, this is just friggin unbelievable. You can drive this machine knowing the heritage is all there, it is still not for the meek ( they may inherit the Earth, but we shall have all the Vipers ) and cruising down the highway you are the master/mistress of the road!!

Enjoy,

Bill Pemberton

PS - At no time during the rapid launch of the 600 hp Viper were any little Hondas, or bluehairs, plants & animals , injured in the execution of this story's report on supreme motivation .

Approved by PETA

People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles:2tu:

Bill --

You should edit this post to begin with "Dear Penthouse . . ."

/Rich

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So YOU get to drive one, but tell ME to wait until October. Why can that be? Please rush my order into September (this year) so I can hyperbole all over myself....

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you shure this is Bill Pemberton? Your always so composed and "Politically Correct" here. Sounds like it's gonna be another good year at the Dodge dealer! Great write up.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hawking your wares with hyperbole on this site is a little bit overkill isn't it? LOL
Actually, I begged him to write up his experience as he is a TRUE track rat with more SCCA-sanctioned miles under his belt than just about anybody out there. Note that he didn't post his phone number, website, or that he even works for a dealer (probably got fired for screwing around all weekend with the other VCA members anyway). George and I can give the poser perspective of a street-driven car, but nobody could sum it up better than Bill when it comes to comparing the cars on the track. You guys asked for a real Viper driver to review the car (lamenting the Camry-coddled writers that fawn all over the Z06's trunk space) and Pemberton stepped up. I suspect his allocation is all but sold out and the car WILL sell itself when the new owners start taking delivery. BP may be a little excited, but rest assured he has every reason to be: This 2008 Viper is a whole 'nother beast that will show that BP, myself, George, and others understated everything.

I don't care who you get your 2008 from but I would suggest that if you are on the fence you hop down quickly. Call Gastman at Roanoke, Darren at Buhler, Chuck at Tators, Mike at Ringgold, or even that Pemberton guy wherever it is he works. You will be pleasantly shocked when you take delivery. You might even suggest they call it Gen V. :D

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha! How great that Bill spent all that time to respond to me.. I feel special..

Well not really, I think I was just the patsy for his sales pitch. None the less, I still liked it, and I by no means meant to offend. Nor do I think Bill took it as such.

You seem genuinly impressed with car (outside of it being good for business), so that might be good enough for me.

Buy back my 06 for something reasonable/respectable and sell me a 08 (again resonable and respectable) and maybe I'll eat my own words about not buying another dodge :)

Jon

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time for a challenge. Compare and contrast a Woodhouse prepared, supercharged, corsa cat back, eibach and motons, corner balanced, swing arm oil panned, tightened and shortened shifter 2006 coupe with the 2008 Coupe. Both on the strip and on the track. Bill - how about it? Yes, I know, it would not be fair on the strip but it would still be interesting.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Bill--As always--soooooo eloquent!!! You make an amazing story-teller...but then this is NOT a story~~~a TRUE experience that we are experiencing thru your words...thank you thank you thank you!!!! ~juli

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Er, thanks Christopher, but...............I do still have plenty of allocation!

Jon, thanks for the great lead in, and you are so correct ---- all in fun!

HOWFAST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well written story. I will need to test drive one in the future. I'll just skip the GEN III and try out the GEN IV.

Gus//

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960