Gen IV Seat Lowering. Info Appreciated

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, took both seats out of my 08 today, ready to install 2 inch kits on both sides. if anyone who has lowered the seats in a gen iv could please chime in with any how to tips or pics that would be great. Ie where and how did you relocate the gateway, amp, and any and all airbag semsors. I tried searching and there are lots of threads but not any with specific how to details. thanks in advance, Tyler

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I lowered the driver's seat with the 2" kit the day I took delivery. I was having a celebratory Guinness or three, though, so I don't remember much about the process other than that getting the seat out was pretty easy, relocating the amp(?) that was on top of the floor bracket to underneath the bracket was easy, there was a lot of wiring that just had to be stuffed in wherever it fit, but the booger of the deal was getting those 4 mounting bolts retightened. The rears in particular require the dexterity of a spider monkey and a 3-foot-long socket on your wrench!

I think it took us a good hour or two to finish it because the instructions were pretty hard to follow.

Good luck with it, and the more you drink, the slower it will go!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the 1" on both sides so I didn't have to relocate the gateway module or the amp.

On the drivers side you'll need to relocate the airbag sensor. Take a look at how's it's positioned in the front, you'll need to have it in the same position later. You need to fabricate a bracket for the sensor (i used a piece of lexan) then attach it to the seat frame.

Passenger side is fine, you'll see the ribbon sensor that doesn't need to be relocated.

OP
OP

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I got the passenger side apart, there seems to be an identical sensor on both seats (airbag proximity I guess, would like to see someone else's pics to be sure) so I guess I need to relocate them both even though most seem to think there isnt one on the passengers side? Does it matter where on the seat I locate them to? I see the ribbon sensor (is that the weight sensor) which seems to be fine as is. Where and how did you relocate the gateway and amp? Thanks guys

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have to relocate the amp - just the airbag sensor. There's a stand-off bracket located under the seat that the airbag sensor is attached to. All you need to do is remove the sensor from the top of the bracket, and stuff it underneath the bracket. It will be really obvious once you have it apart.

As far as getting the seat re-installed, your best bet is to use a stubby ratchet wrench and access the rear bolts from the back of the seat. When you put the seat in full-forward tilt, you'll have 'just enough' room to squeeze your hand in there. It's a slow process, but not too difficult.

OP
OP

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update for those that are interested.  
I wound up lowering my drivers seat only, I decided to leave ps seat at stock height for now until my kids are a bit taller.  I thought they might be hard pressed to see out when sitting in their little childseats if seat was lowered 2 inches plus was unsure of the safety aspect of having their booster/childseats 2 inches lower.  Will install the passenger side kit later on.

I got a lot of conflicting info when researching this mod, so heres what I found with the disclaimer that these are just my observations

Drivers side:  1) had to move the gateway module.  I moved it to the bottom of the rear bulkhead and simply used velcro to attach it in an upright position.  Its pretty light so the velcro seemed sufficient and its easy enough to access and fix if not.  I also removed the gateway bracket which left 5 small spotweld holes which i simply filled with a product called speedgrip.  2) also had to relocate the rail position sensor (i call it the airbag velocity sensor) from the original rail to the seat itself.  From what i can tell this sensor works in the following way.   It rides with the track therefore moving forward and backward with the seat.  The sensor has a magnet in it.  Right above the sensor on the seat bottom is long rectangular metal bracket.   When the seat is in the rearmost positions this sensor is directly under the metal bracket, therefore recieving a magnetic signal and telling the airbag computer to fire the bag with max velocity.  As the seat moves forward so does the sensor, about half way forward it runs out of metal bracket, therefore it is no longer recieving a magnetic signal,  the computer then knows the seat is forward so the computer would concievably slow down the force and velocity of the bag.  I simply relocated the sensor so that it is sitting on the said metal bracket, magnet facing the bracket.  I used zap straps to hold it there. Relocated in this way i believe the computer will see the seat as being in the rear position and will fire the bags accordingly.

Passenger side:  while i didn't wind up changing this side i did have the seat out, heres my thoughts 1) amp needs to be moved, it looked pretty thick to fit against rear bulkhead and still allow the seat to recline but it may work.  I thought you could also likey remove the carpet and insulation under the amp and maybe leave it in the stock location only lower???  The studs that hold it will need to be shortened or removed. 2) same rail position sensor as drivers side, same solution.  3) ps seat also has a weight sensor (used to turn the bag off when little kids are in seat) It looks like it could be left alone and not messed with but not 100 percent sure.

Hope the helps someone considering this mod in the future. Will let you know if any issues (airbag lights, etc) come up.