Gen IV vert VS Gen IV coupe

TomcatViper9700

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to an 08 SRT-10 vert over an 08 SRT-10 coupe. Oh and, how much modding would it take to get a Gen-III's performance to that of a Gen-IV? Thanks for any reply's :D :drive:

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to an 08 SRT-10 vert over an 08 SRT-10 coupe. Oh and, how much modding would it take to get a Gen-III's performance to that of a Gen-IV? Thanks for any reply's :D :drive:

Advantage vert in weight....advantage coupe if drag racing (lack of true roll bar on the vert). Advantage vert on nice days with the top back. Advantage coupe every other day.
Not sure (or smart enough) to know what it would take to get the Gen III up to Gen IV performance levels so I will leave that one alone.:usa:

OP
OP
T

TomcatViper9700

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm mainly interested in Gen IV verts. I wanted to see what other people thought though.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It all depends on what you want to use the car for. If you are a die hard racer then a coupe would be the safest bet. Fixed roof and all. If you just want that wind in your hair feeling then the vert is the way to go. Having driven all types of viper i'm a vert guy. I still take my cars out on the track once maybe twice a driving season. Like I said, it boils down to what you are going to use the car for. Also....this is very important. Which one looks the best TO YOU. No point in spending that kind of money on a car that you are not crazy about.

So as I said before....I'm a vert/roadster kinda guy. :)

CIMG1236.JPG

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GenIV coupe will top out at 208 mph vert top end is 187 mph.
A genIII is going to need headers, ported intake, a cam, and a tune to get te same power as a genIV. The advantage with a genIII is you can do forced induction and have way more power than a genIV.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think no matter wich you choose their will be times you wish you had the latter....rolling down to the local strip or club scene vert all the way....chop top exotic just screames money...rolling up to the drag strip or car gathering then coupe all the way.....the gen threes weigh 3380 for the vert and a gen 4 vert wighs 3450....so 70 pound advantage for the gen 3.....but the gen 4 has 550 rwhp and hits a max of 130 mph in the quarter mile while the gen 3 has 450 rwhp and hits a max of 123 mph in the quarter mile...so 7 mph advantage for the gen4 .....to get a gen 3 to that level you need intake/tune/roller rockers/headers/no cats/exhaust/lightweight flywheel/light weight underdrive pully/throttle body/abs wires.......all that can get you around 510 rwhp and with the more agressive low end grunt of the gen3s and the 70 pounds less weight you will be at gen 4 performance

OP
OP
T

TomcatViper9700

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great reply's!:D Like I said before, I'm mainly going for a Gen IV vert :drive:

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was originally looking for a vert, but after seeing some coupes I just had to go with a coupe. There were 3 things that swayed my decision.
1. The full shell roof with the double bubble just looks better than a rag top IMO.
2. If you are getting a Viper with stripes, it just looks all that much better having the stripes carry through the roof on a coupe which you can't have on a vert.
3. Most importantly, to me, the rear end (******** as I like to call it) enveloping the rear lights looks way better than the vert regular style.
- (Although I have seen an aftermarket package that can hood the lights on a vert, I think I did hear they are expensive and maybe not even made anymore ???)

But hey, sunshine on your face and the wind through your hair is a pretty convincing premise for a vert.....

OP
OP
T

TomcatViper9700

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to use the car for. If you are a die hard racer then a coupe would be the safest bet. Fixed roof and all. If you just want that wind in your hair feeling then the vert is the way to go. Having driven all types of viper i'm a vert guy. I still take my cars out on the track once maybe twice a driving season. Like I said, it boils down to what you are going to use the car for. Also....this is very important. Which one looks the best TO YOU. No point in spending that kind of money on a car that you are not crazy about.

So as I said before....I'm a vert/roadster kinda guy. :)

CIMG1236.JPG

I totally agree with you. I've always been into roadsters as-well and I find them to be a little more enjoyable on the road. Don't get me wrong, I think coupes are cool too. I just prefer the look and feel of a vert. :drive:

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What part of the country are you in? Plenty of top down weather in SoCal, so I only looked at the verts :cool:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With lambos and ferraris even porshes vettes ect....the vert option is more expensive...the viper is one of the few high end sports cars that does the vert first then the coupe...so the vert looses some of its luster....one thing i observed is that while the coupe rear end looks more agressive...the vert looks a lil lower and wider viewed directly from the back....coupe defiently wins on profile though....but with top down there you are for the world to see in your 85k viper...depending on who you are if thats a big plus or not...i noticed a lot more gawkers when the top is down....ill post one of my favorite vids of a vert cruising with the top down....its of two guys in a ls3 vette trying to catch up to a gen 3 vert with the top down...the angle and lighting just really shows off the vert

OP
OP
T

TomcatViper9700

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in NC. It has great top down weather in spring, summer, and fall but it does go down to about 5 degrees in December/January.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres the vid I was talking about..Its a stock gen3 vert and the camera car is a ls3 vette..

look at those curves with the top down...Too many times we see pics of someone standing up and looking down at the vert and the pics just dont do the car justice...But when viewed the way they are seen by other motorist...WOW

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVvicrJnxQI&feature=related[/media]EXTERIOR VS EXTERIOR

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres the vid I was talking about..Its a stock gen3 vert and the camera car is a ls3 vette..

look at those curves with the top down...Too many times we see pics of someone standing up and looking down at the vert and the pics just dont do the car justice...But when viewed the way they are seen by other motorist...WOW

Well said! Great video too.:2tu:

Also, according to Wikipedia... Dodge's claims for top speed are
Convertible: 197 mph (317 km/h)
Coupe: 202 mph (325 km/h)

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I presume you're referring to the vert with the top down? Also I don't think 208 is the correct top end for any stock Gen 4 viper.

Also, according to Wikipedia... Dodge's claims for top speed are
Convertible: 197 mph (317 km/h)
Coupe: 202 mph (325 km/h)

Thanks. Yep, that's far more in line with what I remember. But I must admit that when the top is down, it's a bit uncomfortable at speeds over 180. :D

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVvicrJnxQI&feature=related[/media]EXTERIOR VS EXTERIOR

WOW! That vert looks SWEET :headbang: But what about this Coupe??

YouTube - viper vs cobra good

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With lambos and ferraris even porshes vettes ect....the vert option is more expensive...the viper is one of the few high end sports cars that does the vert first then the coupe...so the vert looses some of its luster....one thing i observed is that while the coupe rear end looks more agressive...the vert looks a lil lower and wider viewed directly from the back....coupe defiently wins on profile though....but with top down there you are for the world to see in your 85k viper...depending on who you are if thats a big plus or not...i noticed a lot more gawkers when the top is down....ill post one of my favorite vids of a vert cruising with the top down....its of two guys in a ls3 vette trying to catch up to a gen 3 vert with the top down...the angle and lighting just really shows off the vert

For $500.00 Alex.
What is inanity?