Gen IV vs Gen V block differences?

Discussion in 'SRT Engineering Q/A Area' started by aries, Dec 20, 2012.

1. aries

aries Viper Owner

I'm looking to purchase a Gen V and build a really nasty NA engine. I was wondering if there is any major differences between the Gen IV and Gen V engines? Specifically the the short block? My idea is to keep the original Gen V engine stock and to get a Gen IV short block to modify with pistons, cam, crank, ect if it will mate to the Gen V hardware, ie the heads and engine bay and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Joe

2. gb66gth

gb66gth Viper Owner

I think the intake plenum is totally different. Not sure if that's a big deal though.

3. aries

aries Viper Owner

Ultimatley I would love to use an entire Gen IV engine to heavily modify so the stock Gen V engine can remain untouched. I don't know if that's feasable or not. I'm sure the electronics and so forth would not work.

4. stranger355

stranger355 Enthusiast

Joe - I think for heavy mods on the Gen IV you need some serious computing power (Motec), but I don't know about the short block.

5. aries

aries Viper Owner

Yeah, I figured as much. I just wanted to leave the motor that came with the car stock and build up a second one. I figure it would be easier to get my hands on a Gen IV motor if it would work in the Gen V.

6. Moundir

Moundir Enthusiast

Great question Aries! I'm wondering the same thing.