Gen V 's need a oil catch can

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After running my car pretty hard a couple of weeks back at road Atlanta I had a few issues. First off after the second session I saw oil leaking from the rear of my air cleaner box. After talking with the other two guys there with gen v's they had the same issue just not as much as mine. Ran a couple more sessions and a check engine light and reduced power mode came on. This was pretty scary since it occurred in turn 1 at 100 or so mph. I lost steering and braking for a brief second till the rpms died to 2000 rpm. I limped around the track into the pits. The code showed MAP sensor correlation. Good friend Royce helped me erase the code and back out I went. The more I ran the more oil came from the rear of the air cleaner box onto my engine. I finally decided it was to much to keep trying and just drove the car home. Took the car to the dealer yesterday they cleaned the oil off and ordered a new air filter in which was covered in oil. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue. I know performance cars do blow back oil but over 1/4 of a quart into my air box and all over my engine is just to much. Talked with mark at woodhouse he stated there wasn't a Gen V designed can. Seems that if this is a real issue then the factory should of put one on from there. Bad design or does my car have just a bad pvc system?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I have heard this problem on a Gen V that is tracked. I suspect a bad PCV valve could be the problem as this has been the case in some Gen 4s that are tracked.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracked mine 10 times and no leaks, and minimal oil consumption. I'd say your particular car has a problem, or maybe a bunch did. Mine is a April '14 build.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Drivers Side - Cap the air box and run that hose to a catch can behind the wheel liner

2. Passenger Side - insert an air-oil separator between the valve cover and the pcv valve.

If someone wants pics, let me know and I will post.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How many miles are on your motor? Mods?

We had a 2013 with the same issue but once it had 2000 miles and we changed to the 15w50 (for track use) no more issues.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
L

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
700 miles its a 2014. No oil change just factory filled. Maybe more miles and oil change is needed.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan
mine was the same, first 2000 miles, it burned 2 qt, now at 5k, nothing.

How many miles are on your motor? Mods?

We had a 2013 with the same issue but once it had 2000 miles and we changed to the 15w50 (for track use) no more issues.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
L

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Got dealer to agree to change over to 15w50 mobil one. Car is safe at home in garage now. Cant wait to try it out again in a few weeks back at road Atlanta.