Gen V Test Drive - Just Curious

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought there were supposed to be 100 (?) or so red cars for dealers for exactly this purpose. Something like they had to hold onto them for 6 months or so...

My local dealer said SRT made those 150 cars for car shows and for people at dealers to just look at and not to be test driven.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already one LONG thread complaining about the same subject, SRTviper. Do we really need a second thread?

I wanted to test drive an Aventador also. Lamborghini told me no. I can afford one. I didn't complain on Lambo sites about not getting to drive one.

Like I said in the other thread, find another dealer and be ready to buy a plane ticket if needed. I flew to Italy and watched them build the cars.

I'm somewhere far, give me one dealer that can provide me with my gen V and I'll come business class right now.
lol I couldn't find non-clueless dealers other than Bill and Bernie.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's the new BCMarly. Remember him singing the praises of the car he couldn't wait to get.
LOL. All talk no cash.
LMFAO yeah there was that and some austin guy or cant remember the name when u called them cheerleaders lol

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm somewhere far, give me one dealer that can provide me with my gen V and I'll come business class right now.
lol I couldn't find non-clueless dealers other than Bill and Bernie.

There are a few low mileage used ones out there already, thought about grabbing one of those up?

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased my 6th Viper and I never asked to test drive any of them.

I would never expect a dealer to allow a test drive and quite honestly, I would be hesitant to buy one with test miles on it.

If I felt a test drive was necessary, I would check with my local club to see if someone would be willing to take me for a ride, with me as passenger.

Personally, I've allowed others to test drive mine but only after I was comfortable with them and I had a deposit with intent to purchase in hand.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my Gen 4 in the height of Chrysler BK, it had sat in the dealer showroom for 16 months and had 10 miles on it that were put on by the owner of the dealership. No test drives. I got a great deal and my mind was made up to buy so didn't even ask to drive it until I owned it.

I didn't care that it may not be as comfortable, the side exhaust get hotter or be louder than another car. That's why I was buying it :headbang: And after almost 17,000 miles later, would do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it seems pretty anonymous from current/past owners (and I agree since I never even sat in one before I bought mine)

If you feel that you have to test drive a Viper in order to make a decision......then this car is NOT for you.

Matt

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it seems pretty anonymous from current/past owners (and I agree since I never even sat in one before I bought mine)

If you feel that you have to test drive a Viper in order to make a decision......then this car is NOT for you.

Matt

And that is exactly the attitude that got the car axed in the first place and is exactly why SRT killed themselves to make it more luxurious at a cheaper price than the competition.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that is exactly the attitude that got the car axed in the first place and is exactly why SRT killed themselves to make it more luxurious at a cheaper price than the competition.

I am sure it wasn't an 'attitude' that got the car axed. Yet attitude is what you need in order to own and enjoy it. This is something you cant buy......either you have it or you don't.

Matt

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt

I think if the Viper wants to live on past another year - the test drives have to occur. People on the fence who can afford the car by in large want to test drive before dropping $100k+. Competitive models do all the time.

Perhaps SRT needs to build 50 or so dedicated test cars to have at tracks around the country. The "No test drives" at dealers isn't good for the long term longevity of the Viper brand, the competition is just too fierce.

If I wasn't set on the Viper and on the fence, I'd simply look at other options if I couldn't have gotten behind the wheel. Not many people like myself have never driven any incarnation will jump into a Gen V just because you like it.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if the Viper wants to live on past another year - the test drives have to occur. People on the fence who can afford the car by in large want to test drive before dropping $100k+. Competitive models do all the time.

Perhaps SRT needs to build 50 or so dedicated test cars to have at tracks around the country. The "No test drives" at dealers isn't good for the long term longevity of the Viper brand, the competition is just too fierce.

If I wasn't set on the Viper and on the fence, I'd simply look at other options if I couldn't have gotten behind the wheel. Not many people like myself have never driven any incarnation will jump into a Gen V just because you like it.

You sir are 100% correct.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Test drives and paddles may be a necessity for selling thousands of Vipers. We don't however know if that is SRTs plan. It never was from the onset. As a halo car, I believe Viper has always been in the red.

the_postman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to test drive one in Omaha, NE. The dealer (Baxter Dodge) had a new red GTS specifically for test drives. It was great and the salesman was a car guy who knew his stuff and showed me around the warehouse that was full of all kinds of nice cars. Had a great experience out there.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to test drive one in Omaha, NE. The dealer (Baxter Dodge) had a new red GTS specifically for test drives. It was great and the salesman was a car guy who knew his stuff and showed me around the warehouse that was full of all kinds of nice cars. Had a great experience out there.

If every dealer was like this one the viper would be more successful.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are two types of prospective Viper buyers. Those that want one because of what it is, not so much because of how it drives. Magazine/forum reviews and owner feedback confirms all they need to know, and they don't have to drive it themselves. They already know about all of its strengths and short-comings, and unless they have some sort of physical issue they don't need to even sit in it. Many of the multi-Viper owners here fit that profile, having ordered theirs pre-production without much info. They are diehard Viper fans, and if they like the car going upscale they'll want the Gen V. Buying a Gen V is easy for this group, with delivery time being the hardest part.

Then there are others, like myself, who have driven other makes of sports cars and are more interested in the details to decide what they want to buy. They aren't commited to Dodge, SRT or Viper in any way, and may even be sceptacle of Dodge quality, with any previous cars in this price range having been high-end import brands. Had the Gen V not moved upscale it wouldn't be on their radar at all. Brand image may be as important as the car itself, and the ease or difficulty of the dealer experience will be key. The latter is obviously shaping up to be a problem for some, and a complete deterent for many I suspect. And some of these will sit on the sideline for a while to see of the situation improves.

Last edited:

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay here is a thought. Go to SRT Track Experience ... $699 if you have never been - if not local see advise on buying plane ticket. That day you will drive on a small closed course a viper as well as be driven by a professional driver at excessive speeds around a track. between the two you should have a good idea along with expose to the entire SRT line-up.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay here is a thought. Go to SRT Track Experience ... $699 if you have never been - if not local see advise on buying plane ticket. That day you will drive on a small closed course a viper as well as be driven by a professional driver at excessive speeds around a track. between the two you should have a good idea along with expose to the entire SRT line-up.

If I could avoid paying 1k for a test drive I would like to. At that point I might as well give the dealer 1k to let me test drive.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I owned a dealership there is no way I would let anyone test drive a Viper. All you have to do is read this forum and see the # of times drivers, even experienced Viper drivers have lost a Viper especially in the lower gears.

I owned five Corvettes before buying my ACR. I had never ridden in a Viper; but, knew that's the car I wanted. I did sit in one.

On the other hand last year we bought my wife a MB SL550 which is approximately the same cost as a Viper (or at least it was until the Gen V). The salesman let us test drive it; but, that's a completely different car (429HP with all the electronic nannies).

Like I said, if I owned a dealership I would let anyone test drive Vipers.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I owned a dealership there is no way I would let anyone test drive a Viper. All you have to do is read this forum and see the # of times drivers, even experienced Viper drivers have lost a Viper especially in the lower gears.

I owned five Corvettes before buying my ACR. I had never ridden in a Viper; but, knew that's the car I wanted. I did sit in one.

On the other hand last year we bought my wife a MB SL550 which is approximately the same cost as a Viper (or at least it was until the Gen V). The salesman let us test drive it; but, that's a completely different car (429HP with all the electronic nannies).

Like I said, if I owned a dealership I would let anyone test drive Vipers.

If you confirm that the person can afford a viper and they wreck it why do you care? At the end of the day they are paying for it and essentially you sold your allocation. I am going to go back to one of these dealers and give them my watch as collateral and say if I put one scratch on the car they can have the watch and ebay it. There, 8k profit lol.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When have you ever gone to a dealer and before....test driving it, completed a purchase agreement stating if you wreck it, you bought it. Please post a copy of said agreement so we can all see what one looks like :dunno:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly what I did before buying my 08. Took a 6 hours drive to Englishtown NJ and paid 2 x $500 for me and my son. We had a great day testing all the SRT products and a few weeks later I purchased my first new Viper.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that test drove a brand new GT-R

Driving through an intersection - they were tboned.

Golly, insurance handled it! (Not his, obviously)

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that test drove a brand new GT-R

Driving through an intersection - they were tboned.

Golly, insurance handled it! (Not his, obviously)

Hey I'd be satisfied driving it around the parking lot lol. Not even a 1/4 mile.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to look at the new Jaguar F type S the other day. $97k car and he was begging me to take it out for a test drive along with a $118k XKR. The F type sounded pretty mean but it sort of reminded me of a Saturn Sky. I told the sales guy that I'm not all that interested and declined the test drive. Haven't been able to sit in a GenV yet.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to look at the new Jaguar F type S the other day. $97k car and he was begging me to take it out for a test drive along with a $118k XKR. The F type sounded pretty mean but it sort of reminded me of a Saturn Sky. I told the sales guy that I'm not all that interested and declined the test drive. Haven't been able to sit in a GenV yet.
Ever down in DC just look me up!

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I had no problem buying my ZR1 or Viper with out test driving it first and after driving my 94 RT 10 169,000 miles I'm pretty sure I going to like it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude