gen1 side window question

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a hard side window available that works with the stock black rag top for my 93 Gen1? If so, who makes it and $$$?

Thanks!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think ViperMania had some too. I believe got one has those.

The car there yet? It's too bad John didn't leave the Autoform top/windows on; those woulda kept ya warm!

OP
OP

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not here yet Jason, Im still waiting for the checks to clear, etc. They put a 7 day hold on it due to the amount. Im heading to Chicago for Christmas too so it will either get here just before or just after the holiday. Thanks again for all your help in this process and yes, it would have been nice if he would have kept the top/windows/headers and some other things on the car but I can live either way

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, as Jason mentioned, I do have the vmania windows...they are quite nice.

There are several options when it comes to hard windows...all are becoming harder to find these days.
1. OEM soft surrounding with hard slide back plastic
2. Vmania windows
3. Northwind windows
4. Autoform
4. A few other one offs that are damn near impossible to find.

Vmania will be the most readily accessible and will worth with most hard tops and the soft top...without modification. Also, something to consider, driving with the top off and windows on...the Vmania windows I have personally had up to 145 with no top on and they held just fine. Not to mention they follow the lines very well on the car. email me at [email protected] and I will scrounge up some pictures I have with them with the top off and on if you want.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to copy Vmania's windows (well, until he stops making them maybe ;) ) but what is the construction? Do you have a picture of the inside frame and how the glass is attached?

I made a moderately crude to OK version of hard windows using the frame from the vinyl curtains. I am not a metalworking artist; my first tries are closer to what a crew chief does to successfully finish the race. (And then I usually decide it works well enough, not worried about how it looks.) But I am looking to a second version, mainly because of how my Lexan meets the plastic "wing" at the end of the door.

Thanks for pix if you have some.

Last edited:

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the Vipermania windows on my RT/10. I also have a set of stock windows (never used them) and a set of Northwind Engineering windows. The Vmanias are my favorite.

v4.jpg

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume those go over (outboard) the plastic vinyl-looking wing on the end of the door?

Tom,

Yes, the window does go over the plastic looking wing on the door. The back of the window has a soft felt in that area to protect the plastic on the door. Here is a photo of the inside of the window to give you some idea.

v17.jpg

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have new in the box & 2K mile used OEM windows available.

OP
OP

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the least expensive of the two, haha

they will hardly EVER be on the car so I dont want to spend much $ on them obviously

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Yes, the window does go over the plastic looking wing on the door. The back of the window has a soft felt in that area to protect the plastic on the door. Here is a photo of the inside of the window to give you some idea.

Thank you! Any chance you have a picture from inside of the underside of the roof where the plastic wing would reside when the door is closed? This will become the difficult-to-seal spot with my windows/roof.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you! Any chance you have a picture from inside of the underside of the roof where the plastic wing would reside when the door is closed? This will become the difficult-to-seal spot with my windows/roof.

The roof is a Northwind roof and it has an edge for the top of the window to rest against. I attached a strip of weather strip along that edge and it seems to work well. However, I only bought these windows a few months ago from Biff and haven't had a chance to make some minor adjustment. The Northwind windows I have contain a metal frame completely around the window with thick weatherstrip. Next time I am at the other garage I will try and take a few pics to send you.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the VMania windows and they are great. Not exactly a perfect seal but really a quality product. As you can see by the pictures posted above, they look factory. Biff is a great guy to deal with too. Its too bad hes thinking about quitting the business. Tom, maybe you should buy his setup and start making them using his patterns.

OP
OP

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not really sure, just see what is out there and act accordingly depending on what people are asking for their windows...

OP
OP

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your car looks AWESOME with the limo tint. Im not sure I want a hard top though. I just want to use the stock black soft top but add the windows that will work with the stock top and just limo tint those. My windshield is being tinted 30% too so it should turn out pretty sick.