Gen1 straight pipe question

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched but couldnt find what I am looking for. Has anyone just removed all the cats and mufflers on their gen1? Basically off of the stock manifolds it is just straight pipes, no cats/baffles/mufflers or anything... then it just dumps out the normal side exit location?

I assume its going to be loud as hell and sound like crap but does anyone have a sound clip?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why?

Geez, you couldn't pay me to sit next to that and drive too. Earplugs and muffs and she'll still rattle your teeth!!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Chad had something like that on his.

I'd recommend high flow cats & a Borla, it sounds nice.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric,

My old Roe car was close, had straight through mufflers, no cats. It was loud, even more so with headers. Can you say earplugs, what???????

OP
OP

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice, Im hoping someone has done this and has a clip. The reason behind it is IF I keep it long enough to CPE TT it, the exhaust combo would be 4" dp's to 4" pipe out the side with zero restriction's so I plan to just do that now even if it will lose some backpressure, etc but the car already has heads/cam so I dont really care about losing a few hp-tq right now

oh and I love being loud and obnoxious too but thats besides the point

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Gen 1 stock manifolds, 3" race cats, and 3" spiralflow mufflers... For the second drive I literally wore earplugs and was planning the next change. Straight through will be unbearable.

Someone did a TT with electric cutouts. I remember seeing the video of the car on a dyno and when the cutouts opened, it blew stuff around at the front of the car. Joseph Dell? There was a tremendous power increase, but normal noise level for normal driving.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN 1's like a little back pressure. Go with Saab Racing Turbo Cats & no mufflers. I had this on my Gen 1 Race Car it sounded great.

OP
OP

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Gen 1 stock manifolds, 3" race cats, and 3" spiralflow mufflers... For the second drive I literally wore earplugs and was planning the next change. Straight through will be unbearable.

Someone did a TT with electric cutouts. I remember seeing the video of the car on a dyno and when the cutouts opened, it blew stuff around at the front of the car. Joseph Dell? There was a tremendous power increase, but normal noise level for normal driving.

yeah, Ive been in that car and multiple other CPE turbo cars with cutouts and its really not that loud with the turbos. NA it will be loud as hell though, I cant wait... I just wish someone had a sound clip because although it will be loud, I bet its pretty raspy and crappy sounding but only one way to find out I guess

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will be deaf.................................period. I had 3" race muffs on mine and had to wear ear plugs. Don't get me wrong, I like loud obnoxious cars, but to drive that any distance was stupid. Decided my hearing was worth more than a hot rod.

Of course, putting turbos on the same exhaust, PRICELESS! :2tu:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, Ive been in that car and multiple other CPE turbo cars with cutouts and its really not that loud with the turbos. NA it will be loud as hell though, I cant wait... I just wish someone had a sound clip because although it will be loud, I bet its pretty raspy and crappy sounding but only one way to find out I guess

Use exhaust material other than stainless. It's too tinny sounding. Regular exhaust aluminized pipe sounds deeper.:2tu:

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did for a day just to see how loud it was. It was horrible. I mean just increadibly LOUD. Not recomended.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Uncle removed the cats & mufflers off his '95 and it does not sound that loud to me, or him. I removed the cats on my '94 and had Borla mufflers and it was too quiet. And neither car stunk do to the cats being removed.

Needless to say, sound is very subjective. Before I changed the bike on my Super Blackbird I asked around, etc. and just about everyone told me to not put D&D race pipes on it since it would be too loud. But I did anyway and I think I now have the best sounding Super Blackbird on the planet.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like you really want to do it,

it is only a $100 mistake if you don't like it,

so no big loss and feeds your exhaust desire;

if you like it it is an inexpensive mod....

so ex-tiger and nike

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is supposedly no cats, no mufflers but I know its going all the way out the back... its not that loud

YouTube - reality05's Channel

Thats because your computer does not produce 130db...

I have no cats and Dynomax race bullets. It is loud as HELL! To take out mufflers too will be plain stupid. I like sh%tloud cars, but unless you are ********, I would not recommend this mod. Just take out the cats and add Dynomax bullets and you will have so loud car that it sets off every car alarm on both sides of the street (wheather you like it or not) and your ears will ring most of the night. Once I take mine out for 2-3 hour ride, for the remaining day I will not hear much and ears will ring most of the night. If you think its cool, I would say, GO FOR IT.
I had enough and dont even want to drive the fuc#er anymore.

'93 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have no cats and Dynomax race bullets. It is loud as HELL! To take out mufflers too will be plain stupid. I like sh%tloud cars, but unless you are ********, I would not recommend this mod. Just take out the cats and add Dynomax bullets and you will have so loud car that it sets off every car alarm on both sides of the street (wheather you like it or not) and your ears will ring most of the night. Once I take mine out for 2-3 hour ride, for the remaining day I will not hear much and ears will ring most of the night. If you think its cool, I would say, GO FOR IT.

I couldn't agree with this more. I had just a set of 5" diameter Magnaflow mufflers with no cats and Edelbrock Headers. The car was so loud that even when it was extremely nice out and I wanted to drive it, I wouldn't. Just because I could not take how loud the exhaust was. It was only this way for about a 2 months until I was able to change it.

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '93 and my side covers are blistering from the heat. I was thinking on doing this and adding the Borla. I think one of the original cats is plugged causing more heat. I heard the Borla has a nice sound and takes away the heat problems. Is this true?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '93 and my side covers are blistering from the heat. I was thinking on doing this and adding the Borla. I think one of the original cats is plugged causing more heat. I heard the Borla has a nice sound and takes away the heat problems. Is this true?

It's more likely that your sill covers are blistering from the insulation rubbing on the insides.... High heat will make the paint discolor, though. I run my '94 with no cats and no insulation. Still sounds like a truck but stays cool.

:drive::drive:

OP
OP

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen2lover, still on the alley bud. Im over the high school drama so you can feel free to start it with someone else.

I will make sure to post some sound clips and I will also make sure to have some straight through mufflers on hand, just incase the straight pipes are too loud. I still wish someone had a GOOD soundclip of this setup

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Eric,

This is probably the muffler Jason used. I had to take this off as it was WAY too loud and the tone wasn't great.

Mitch above can vouch for it, he took the stuff off for me. There is definitly a difference between a cool sounding loud and a F-ing rediculously loud annoying car. I thought it was going to kill selling the car so I PAID to have it removed. Everyone has their own taste though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960