Gen2 ACR shocks

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The shocks have 18K miles on them. Do all of these go bad eventually. I dont want to buy a car that needs 4 grand in shocks.I know there adjustable, but give me some ideas, as i hear and read these shocks leak for some reason.
Thanks

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i've heard they will go bad eventually and I believe you cannot get OEM one's. There is someone that will rebuild them but I don't remember what the cost was.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to note is that there were two different kinds of ACR shocks on the Gen2. Koni's for 99-00 and DS for 01-02. I don't hear the same problems regarding the Koni's, only the DS's.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Only early model 2000s and all 1999s had Konis, and by around March build they had gone to the Dynamic Suspension shocks. Alot of folks just replace with the Koni shocks, as they work fantastic. Too many folks complained they rattled a bit ( did the same thing on other makes ), so Dodge came up with the change.

Just get Konis when your need them or upgrade to Motons or other choices.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only early model 2000s had Konis, and by around March build they had gone to the Dynamic Suspension shocks. Alot of folks just replace with the Koni shocks, as they work fantastic. Too many folks complained they rattled a bit ( did the same thing on other makes ), so Dodge came up with the change.

Just get Konis when your need them or upgrade to Motons or other choices.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Thanks Bill, talked to Johnb already, seeing i would not track this car i would just do a standard shock and save big money. This is actually a investment car LOL. I have a ZO6 i track regularly. "right since when have i made money on a car" LOL.I just dont think i would lose money on this one.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Koni's that came off of another GenII, they were rebuilt by John Archer.

Pm sent.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can also replace with OEM GTS shocks correct ?

which can be found cheaper and also takeoffs can be found

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you can also replace with OEM GTS shocks correct ?

which can be found cheaper and also takeoffs can be found

Yes this is what im told, for about 1300.Which is still kinda pricy for a shock.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything Viper is pricey! Wait till you need a side sill or a hood :rolleyes:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take offs cost me less than that. Ask a few of the tuners doing motons and watch for guys upgrading.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let a vendor know you are looking so when they come across a set they can hook you up.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume a rebuild would be that expensive. Coilovers are pretty standard parts that require rebuilds.

Nick

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Multimatic Inc.

Try these guys. They did the shocks on my '01 ACR in the UK.

Good luck.

They are referring people to Carl Haas Automotive for folks in the states, as by the time you deal with shipping/customs, etc it's cheaper to go with Haas.

I wouldn't assume a rebuild would be that expensive. Coilovers are pretty standard parts that require rebuilds.

Nick

It's about $700 a pair for the rebuild.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right: You are saying you can replace the D.S. ACR shocks with shocks fron a regular Viper? Do you change springs too, or just the shocks? Doesn't this mean an alignment change would be required? Does the "fork" on the D.S. shock fit the standard Viper Shock? I don't race my car and I've thought about switching shocks while I send the D.S. shocks off for overhaul.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right: You are saying you can replace the D.S. ACR shocks with shocks fron a regular Viper? Do you change springs too, or just the shocks? Doesn't this mean an alignment change would be required? Does the "fork" on the D.S. shock fit the standard Viper Shock? I don't race my car and I've thought about switching shocks while I send the D.S. shocks off for overhaul.

I believe you'll need springs and rear forks as well. As long as the ride height is the same, the suspension geometry stays the same and an alignment would not be necessary. I can't say whether the stock setup provides the same ride height though.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The rear shock bodies screw into the lower fork, which straddles the half shaft. Fronts are straight bolt-ons.The springs from your Dynamics will NOT fit a standard Gen2 shock. If you buy a standard shock/spring set, it is very important that you follow the ballast and torque procedure as specified in the service manual. If you just throw them on and torque the attachment bolts, you will have unpleasant levels of preload in the bushings and very nervous handling. This is especially true if you loosen the wishbone pivot bolts to get some wiggle room to install the shocks.

Habu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced my DS shocks and springs with standard Viper Koni's a few months ago. My DS shocks were leaking periodcally so I pulled them for inspection. Only the left front was bad and needs a rebuild, the other three were still working fine. Since I don't track the car, I found a complete set of Koni's (shocks,forks, springs, bolts, nuts, etc.)on ebay for $400.00 buck! To get the car to be at stock ride height you need to follow the Viper shop manual by adding weight to the car before you tighten the shock mount bolts. I had the car with, tires installed, resting on my RV leveling blocks (they look like giant Lego's) which would slide on the floor as you added weight to allow the wheel camber to adjust, simulating the actual driving alignment. The DS shock manual has the actual stock ride height listed for the ACR measured from the frame, not the funky tool that Chrysler used in the manual. Thus, with the car jacked up on RV plastic blocks and enough weight added to the car (per the manual), I measured the frame distance to the floor, then subtracted the RV block height to achieve my actual ride height. Tighten the shock mount bolts, lower the car to the ground, and you are good to go.:2tu: My car handles great with no issues.:drive: I cleaned my DS shocks and put them up for now, in case I wish to return it to stock.:usa:

Habu