Gen2 headers for Gen1 good idea?

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done 3" hi-flo cats and long glass packs on my Gen1 and sound is really perfect. Don't want the extra noise from aftermarket headers, and figure these would be quieter. Is this a good cheap upgrade?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need the headers and flexi pipe as the joint is different........
And you will need to cut the links out on the headers..
Easy job done 3 or 4 now......Just ask Chuck T.........

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I would have read this before I did my headgaskets and modifying the gen1 exhaust

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from e-bay for 75 bucks or so. Got them jet-coated for 325.
I liked the mod, not really sure if you gain any HP, but you sure loose some pounds! Looks much better too!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done 3" hi-flo cats and long glass packs on my Gen1 and sound is really perfect. Don't want the extra noise from aftermarket headers, and figure these would be quieter. Is this a good cheap upgrade?

You want the tubular headers. I believe 99 was the first year. You don't need anything but the headers, a mating street side clamp and a little ingenuity.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please read this:

If anyone decides to do the mod make sure you get the flex section along with the headers(manifolds). And they are from a 98 and up. The thing to look for is at the collector and where the connector bolts. If it is a clamp style it is the right one. If it has a flange with two bolt holes it's not. Those come from a 96-97. The flex pipe parts are the hartdest part to find when doing this mod. The headers you'll find all day long but the flex part is sometimes not so easy. Most are discarded along with the cat or cut too far back when the cat was removed. I went thru like 3 pair before I found a set I could use back then when I did mine a few years ago. Dodge doesn't sell just the flex connector either. It's sold along witht the cats and if I remember they were around $900 a side.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a extra Gen2 header and flex pipe. Please someone buy them I'll trade for everything needed to do a cat delete (02sims+pipe+clamps) Total should come to $75 or so.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does flex pipes got to do with this post? Yes you can run without flex pipes but unless you have a mandrel pipe bender in your garage how would this swap be any less affordable and easy to do unless you have the factory parts. Sorry but the last time I checked the factory part is a flex pipe. I think this post is mostly a reference for a bolt on (primarily) swap.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock parts just make it so much easier....Bolt on..
My Bora system has no flexi and no front mounts..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc